Xavi/Iniesta better than Zidane?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by lessthanjake, Jun 19, 2015.

1. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I strongly disagree with that. I guess it's a matter of opinion, but I think you're really in the minority here. Losing in the World Cup final is considered a failure. Just ask critics of Messi. Winning the Euros is a much bigger success.

The actual voting before the final was EXTREMELY close between Zidane and Cannavaro. Look it up. Then Cannavaro's team won the finals, while Zidane was red carded.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/5154248.stm

Actually, if you read that, you'll note that most of the voting actually took place at half-time of the finals. This is after Zidane scored a goal, but before Italy won and Zidane was red carded. It clearly would only have taken a very small number of votes changing for Zidane to not win the award. And you can't possibly think that the 2nd half of that match and Italy winning would not have shifted some votes from Zidane to Cannavaro.

It's virtually indisputable that Zidane would not have won the Golden Ball if the voting had happened after the match.

2. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    By that argument, winning the Copa America, Gold Cup, ANC, etc. is also a bigger success than losing in the WC final. Of course the final of the WC is the biggest game in the world for four years, it's a higher and more prestigious honor to make it farther than the rest of the world but one team than to win a less prestigious and less global tournament like any of the continental championships, including the Euro.

The score was already 1-1 at halftime, so France did not lose any ground in the second half or even in overtime since the match was decided on a penalty shootout. If anything, Pirlo's game diminished a bit after the first half while Zidane remained consistent. I doubt the red card would affect any votes particularly since it was so controversial and most voters probably felt it was harsh at the time it was happening.

3. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #53 lessthanjake, Jun 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    I just can't agree on that. It's a matter of subjective opinion, so I can't prove to you that winning the Euros is superior to losing in the WC finals. I would wager that my opinion on this is the majority view though, but who knows. It's also important to recognize that the Euros are substantially more prestigious than those other continental championships you are claiming are logical equivalents. Probably because the Euros basically has all the major teams from the World Cup, except Brazil and Argentina.

France certainly lost ground in the second half. France went from having a 50% chance of winning at half time when the votes were cast, to a 0% chance of winning at the end of the match. Meanwhile, Cannavaro went from having a 50% chance of winning the World Cup when voting occurred, to having won at the end of the match. Awards voters care about winning. And the status of Zidane and Cannavaro with regards to winning obviously changed dramatically after the votes were cast. Meanwhile, Zidane got a red card for violent conduct on top of that. The link I gave you showed that the vote at halftime was already INCREDIBLY tight between Zidane and Cannavaro (not Pirlo, so I'm not sure why you mentioned him). You can't possibly think that Italy winning the match (and conceding no more goals, by the way) wouldn't have easily changed the result of that super close vote!?!? You're the same person who talked all about how awards voting is based so heavily on winning titles, when it pertained to Maradona. Before Cannavaro won the title, he was already basically dead even with Zidane. You're crazy if you don't think winning the title would have changed lots of votes in his favor. And it clearly only needed to change a few to put Cannavaro ahead. Add to that the fact that Zidane was red carded, and I just can't see how you're arguing this point. Zidane would not have won the 2006 Golden Ball if it were voted on after the match. Cannavaro would have. This is painfully obvious. I don't even think it would've been particularly close.

Just to put a finer point on this, I'll add one fact. If just 0.9% of the journalists who voted for Zidane changed their vote to Cannavaro, Cannavaro would have won. If you don't think Italy winning and Zidane being red carded would have swayed even ONE PERCENT of Zidane voters to Cannavaro, then I think you're crazy.

Tribune repped this.
  4. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I am not claiming anything about the other continental competitions, I am just following your argument that losing at the WC final is failure as opposed to winning the Euro final which is success. By that logic of itself, the same can be said of any of the other continental competitions. Of course I don't agree with it, not for the Copa America, ANC, Gold Cup, Asia Cup and not for the Euro.

By the way, these were the top eight teams at the WC in Brazil: Germany, Argentina, Netherlands, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Belgium and France. That only puts half of the best teams in the World at the Euro and I would say, Colombia, for example, wipes the floor with any European NT except four or five of them.

Italy didn't win the match, they won the penalty shootout after an official draw so it would seem all these stats you are making up are naturally incorrect. I don't feel that Trezeguet hitting the bar as opposed to having made the shot one inch lower is the difference in favor of Cannavaro, who didn't even take a penalty kick. Cannavaro was the hero of the semifinal match against Germany, and since no Italian player shone in the final by default he became the name for Italy's triumph. The title was won on a penalty shootout in which Cannavaro didn't even play a part of, his performance in the previous match is what carried him to challenge Zidane. Even if Zidane's performance ended on a bad moment, his first half of the final is still much closer in the voter's perceptions than a match that took place four days prior.

5. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #55 lessthanjake, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    A lot of teams fluke their way in the quarterfinals but are not legitimate contenders (though its actually not that uncommon for even the quarterfinals to be all UEFA + Brazil/Argentina). Look at the history of the World Cup semifinals. There's literally only 3 examples of a team that is not a European team OR Brazil/Argentina/Uruguay (Uruguay having made the vast majority of their semifinal appearances many decades ago) in the entire history of the World Cup. The United States all the way back in 1930, Chile as hosts in 1962, and South Korea as hosts in 2002. And note that none of those teams made the finals. And 13 of the 20 World Cups have had 3 European semifinalists. 5 of them (including fairly recent ones like 2006 and 1994) had 4 European semifinalists. It's fairly clear that the real contenders at any given World Cup are just European teams and Brazil/Argentina. So yeah, the Euros are a real prestigious tournament, since virtually all the contenders are there.

This is an award voted on by journalists. So it's not just about what a player did or did not do in the 2nd half of that match, or about whether a penalty shootout win is really a victory or not (and, it IS a victory btw. That World Cup did not end in a draw. Italy won the World Cup and France did not). The mere fact that Italy won the title would have changed tons of votes, because it changes the narrative. Just because it wouldn't have changed your vote doesn't mean it wouldn't have changed some people's votes. Cannavaro was the best performing player on the trophy-winning team. Zidane was not. That changes everything, especially for journalists. And certainly, getting red carded would change votes. And remember, if just 1% of Zidane's votes switched to Cannavaro, then Cannavaro would have won. How you can think that journalists' votes wouldn't change even the slightest bit based on whose team actually lifted the trophy (never mind based on which player physically attacked an opponent) is absolutely beyond me. I don't think there's a single soul on earth that would agree with that, including you yourself not long ago, when you talked about how much awards are highly affected by titles won.

And you can say Cannavaro was carried by the close proximity to his semifinal performance all you want. But he won the Ballon D'or that year pretty easily. His club form had been nothing special, so he really did win based entirely on the World Cup. Notice that Zidane got a very distant 5th in Ballon D'or voting. Of course, I'll grant that Zidane had retired after the World Cup, but Cannavaro and Zidane were both getting votes based solely on their World Cup performance, and Cannavaro crushed Zidane in the voting. That's about as good a proxy for what the Golden Ball voting would have been as we're gonna get. It's also voted on by journalists, it happened after the finals, and neither player was getting votes for their club form. And Cannavaro dominated Zidane in the voting. You simply don't have a leg to stand on here.

Gregoire1 repped this.
  6. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #56 leadleader, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    Why would you be so reluctant to enter any debate? The worst that could happen is that some random person will disagree with you, maybe call you "delusional" or some other insult. And if such a thing really gets to you, then yeah, maybe you shouldn't have entered this debate (although I don't remember offending you, though).

Don't take this thread, or this forum for that matter, so seriously my friend.

I also enjoy watching him play, so it's not just that I made a video about him; I also consider myself a fan of his. To be honest, I think my reservations about him are considered "reservations" in the first place, because Zidane typically gets a lot of hype for not a lot.

If Zidane was better than Iniesta, it was by an extremely small margin. And Zidane just wasn't better than Xavi. A lot of stubborn fans want to elevate Zidane into Maradona/Cruijff level, and to me such claims are simply laughable. That makes me a "Zidane hater" in the eyes of the fans. And that's fine by me. In any case, I appreciate that you seem to understand that my "reservations" (about him as a player) are genuine.

That's not quite the message that I thought your posts contained. My main critique about the theme that I think your post contained, is that it read as though you were heavily disregarding consistency, whilst highly regarding talent, and if you do that, of course Zidane will come out looking like a decidedly superior player.

I just disagree with that. And as much as I'd rather watch Zidane over Xavi or Iniesta, to me it is patently obvious that Xavi easily was as good a player as Zidane. I suspect you and I won't agree on that, but that only means that I could be wrong, which is fine by me. And for the record: I'm more than willing to respect any opinion for as long as the opinion isn't as patently exaggerated (at times I think he must be trolling?) as @SayWhatIWant's clearly is, for example.

7. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, my comment about calling myself names was a joke really mate so don't worry about that - it did cross my mind that I'd possibly entered a long debate (and that's not to criticise you or others indeed, but obviously I know and knew before I posted that the topic is likely to create prolonged and probably tense debate - so I was just thinking along the lines that my recent random posting in various threads might have ended up or might end up requiring some long and considered defence of my position! - like you say I could have considered that before but of course I can keep things concise if I choose - I'll still go back and inspect the previous posts of you and lessthanjake to see if there are more things to say and I assume there should be but don't want to commit to that before I've checked them out more carefully to see what I can add or try to expand on in terms of my thoughts). You're probably right that I shouldn't take the forum so seriously at times though (I try to be light hearted in the main but maybe I read some posts as stepping over the line where they probably aren't going to offend anybody - I think it's best if people can get on well and jovially myself but a bit of heated argument at least is surely ok).

Yeah, I understand that your main gripe with Zidane's standing is that some other creative midfield players get far less credit for nearly as much performance, and also that he gets thrown in with names like Maradona, Cruyff etc indeed at times (of course there could be questions about the consistency in all competitions of even those sorts of players too). I think SayWhatIWant is, like Estel, a fan and certainly full appreciater/admirer of Zidane's game (I know you might think, as might others, that they could over-appreciate Zidane but I guess it's natural that these unusually brilliant players, in general terms, draw such admiration from those who enjoy them and rate them the most - I know you see Messi on a different level but he too draws that sort of thing or even more from Bada Bing for one example on Big Soccer, or from lessthanjake to some extent - I don't think SayWhatIWant or Estel put Zidane forward as the best ever but I know that some people do even if they might be more casual fans).

Ah, I understand now what you were getting at then - for some reason I logged on to my computer quite late last night and then checked Big Soccer too so I wasn't really looking carefully at your response. I think I've always, when for interest/entertainment/editing computer games lol or whatever, leaned more towards peak period rather than longevity at least when assessing players and deciding who I might think is the 'best' out of different options. Being on Big Soccer I certainly appreciate that that approach is different to some others. Whether I also put too little weight on consistency is certainly a fair thought, but I do think that can be harder to gauge, particularly for players outside the league in someones own country. That's arguably where ratings sources can help, although of course it's possible to get a reasonable idea in real time about how well a player is said to be generally playing, and players that are very hit and miss are often not considered among the best anyway, whatever talent they might occasionally show. Zidane doesn't seem to be that sort of case so much as someone who plays ok or 'well' a lot but 'brilliant' less often. I do think his 'brilliant' on an individual level is more brilliant than what Xavi or Iniesta are quite capable of, but maybe the average level comparison is something that people can indeed explore on this thread. The career comparison (even just talking about the players displays, not trophies won in themselves) is different to the peak period comparison I suppose and maybe we should consider them separately. Maybe Xavi's top performances are more concentrated in one phase of the career, arguably giving Zidane the advantage over the longer term actually (just a thought, not a statement as yet)?

I do think SayWhatIWant did make some valid calls on range of ability, and varied characteristics of Zidane's game but I guess that's what I'll be getting into more later. I don't think you completely disagree on those sorts of points anyway, and it could still be it's the consistency issue that draws most debate (and maybe that will be interesting). And of course I could also be wrong. In a way nobody can really be 'right' with subjective judgements like these. And the question of 'how much better' Player A was than Player B is hard when Players C, D, E, F etc could be considered by someone to be even closer to Player A and Player B looks distant on a list more than reality says or the person intends to portray.

8. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    Exactly. The video that I linked of Zidane vs. Scotland was to illustrate the breadth of his ability: volley goal, the different passes he could execute, the dribbling, etc. that someone like Xavi simply could not produce. As footballers, Zidane is evidently better; he can simply do so much more than Xavi can. In terms of pure CM ability, that's where things get closer. But then again, we are comparing a classical playmaker to a CM acting as a central pivot.

I mean, does Xavi even have the capacity to score a goal like this:

I won't be bothered to post a plethora of other goals which demonstrate outstanding footballing ability, and I fear Xavi simply does not have a comparable resume.

9. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I don't actually think Xavi and Zidane are far off in terms of talent. I don't think you realize the talent required to do what Xavi does. He makes things look so simple, but you'll notice that no one in history has been able to do what he does.

But more importantly, the question isn't who is the most talented. It's about who actually did the most with that talent. Zidane was very inconsistent. He had lots of bad matches, especially for club. Xavi dominated the midfield in every single match he played for many years in a row. So, Xavi did more with his talent than Zidane did with his.

And this is true if we look at individual attributes too. Has Zidane spectacularly controlled balls that Xavi perhaps would not have been able to control? Maybe, though Xavi's first touch is absolutely world-class. But did Zidane also lose the ball due to bad touches far more than Xavi? Yes he did.

Ultimately, I'm okay with someone thinking that Zidane's best matches are better than Xavi's or Iniesta's best matches. I don't really agree, since I think Xavi and Iniesta dominated matches in ways that we've really never seen before (for instance, the 5-0 vs. Madrid, the 2011 CL finals, and the 4-0 Euro finals). But I think it's at least debatable, because Zidane possessed amazing talent, and had some absolutely amazing matches. But, taken as a whole, a player like Xavi performed better overall than Zidane, because Zidane was inconsistent and Xavi was shockingly consistent.

10. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The WC semifinals consist of four teams, if three of them are European that still means the Euro is ridden with many average teams that actually would not even make the round of 16 of a WC. The last WC featured only six UEFA teams in the knockout stages: Germany, Netherlands, France, Belgium, Switzerland, and Greece. Also, weren't you talking about how the past greats, including Pele, would not compare to Messi today due to the development of the game, but here you are hanging your argument on the historical success of European sides back in 50s, 60s and 70s. If setting up an international tournament and have to pick amongst Colombia, Nigeria and Poland for an entry, if the purpose is to make a competitive, quality tournament, Poland would not get 5% of the vote despite what they may achieved in the 70s since Colombia and Nigeria are better NTs with more notable players. By saying that UEFA plus Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay are the only NTs that matter, you are giving an overinflated importance to forty + teams while undermining others that are actually much better. The teams may differ ten years from now, but the principle remains incorrect. In any event the trend seems to be that the mid-tier European NTs, that is all but five or six, are increasingly underachieving at the World Cup, their previous success being usurped by South American, African and even Concacaf teams. This is all to say that winning the Euro is an important achievement, but one where the hurdles are far less than winning the World Cup, or for that matter reaching the final of the World Cup.

The World Cup final was actually a draw, this is the official outcome from FIFA. Incidentally neither Zidane nor Cannavaro participated in the pk shoot, so the Cup was actually settled by other players. Also, you are focusing on Zidane's one moment of madness/anger that resulted in his sendoff without mentioning that he was almost universally regarded as the best player of the match (there is not one serious publication that mentions Cannavaro as MOTM). As for the Ballon D'Or, you seem to forget the small detail that Zidane had retired right after the WC and did not play for half of the year, on an award that usually places higher importance on the second half of the season. Giving the award to a player that had not played in the last six months of the year would have risked damaging its credibility, and given Ronaldinho's disappointing performance at the WC and subsequent fall, the default candidate was Cannavaro. In addition, neither Xavi nor Iniesta ever finished even in the top five for the WC Golden Ball, so whether Zidane should have won or be runner-up in WC06, he still places much higher than them.

11. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #61 lessthanjake, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    I'm not saying that every UEFA team is better than every non-UEFA team outside of Argentina and Brazil. There's obviously some lame teams in UEFA (though those who actually make the Euros tend to all be pretty solid teams). What I meant was that the very best teams in the world are a group of select few UEFA teams (Germany, France, Netherlands, etc.) and Brazil/Argentina. Given the success of the those top few UEFA teams and Brazil/Argentina at the business end of each World Cup, I think that's pretty uncontroversial. Those are the only teams that are actually good enough to win a World Cup, and if most of them are present in the Euros, then it's almost as hard to win as the World Cup.

First of all, your comparison is a bit odd. The World Cup is ALSO ridden with teams that would not even make the round of 16 of a WC. In fact, by definition, half the teams at the WC would not make the Round of 16.

Anyways, just think about the path a team takes to winning the Euros compared to making the World Cup finals. Let's compare the difficulty of Argentina's World Cup finals run with the difficulty of Spain's Euro 2012 win. In 2012, Spain was in a group against Italy, Croatia, and Ireland. Argentina was in a group against Nigeria, Bosnia, and Iran. Spain's Euro group is definitely tougher (and this will often be true, since the WC group stages are littered with lowly teams that would not make the Euros). Then, in getting to the finals, Argentina beat Switzerland, Belgium, and the Netherlands, before losing to Germany. By saying that merely making the WC finals is better than winning the Euros, you are basically saying that those first three knockout stage wins are more impressive than the three knockout stage wins of a Euro winner. And, in 2012, those knockout stage wins were against France, Portugal, and Italy. That's simply not a less impressive cast of teams to defeat than Switzerland, Belgium, and the Netherlands.

Simply put, the three knockout stage wins in the Euros are typically all against pretty elite teams. The three knockout stage wins of a World Cup finalist are simply not usually more impressive. That Round of 16 opponent is very often a team that would not make the Euro knockout stages. All this is to say, the quarters, semis, and finals of the Euros are typically at least a similar set of matches as the Round of 16, quarters, and semis of the World Cup. And those are the three victories a Euro winner or World Cup finalist have.

And when we add in the obvious fact that the World Cup finalist ultimately lost a match, while the Euro winner did not, it seems pretty clear which one is more impressive overall.

Of course, none of those three teams are actually contenders to win the World Cup, not even Columbia. And you were trying to dispute me saying that the main contenders for the World Cup are all either in UEFA or are Brazil/Argentina.

In any case, you are trying to say that there are teams outside UEFA besides just Brazil/Argentina that are better than teams at the Euros, so the World Cup is a much superior tournament. I agree. But the question isn't whether the World Cup is a superior tournament. Obviously, it is. The question is whether getting through the World Cup group stages, winning the first three rounds of the knockout stages, and then losing in the finals is more or less impressive than getting through the Euros group stages and winning the three knockout stages. I do not believe it is. The victories are roughly equivalent. That is basically to say that the top 16 at the World Cup are similar in quality to the top 8 in Europe, the top 8 in the World Cup are similar in quality to the top 4 in Europe, and the top 4 in the World Cup are similar in quality to the top 2 in Europe. The difference, then, is mainly just that the World Cup finalist lost a match at the end of all that, while the Euro winner did not. Adding a loss on top of a roughly equivalent set of victories makes the World Cup finalist a less impressive achievement.

Would the journalist voters have thought of it as a draw? That's the only relevant inquiry here, since we are talking about how those journalists would have voted. And, since no one actually thinks of it as a draw when one team wins the World Cup and the other doesn't, I think it's pretty safe to say that the journalists who voted on it would feel the same way. People don't vote based on what FIFA's official records technically say.

Honestly, I can't even believe you are trying to act like people do not see a difference between losing a World Cup final on penalties and winning a World Cup final on penalties. It is so self-evidently obvious that it is different in people's minds, regardless of what FIFA's official records say.

I'm not focusing on anything. I'm just telling you what journalists would focus on. And they'd absolutely focus on whose team won the World Cup and on something as dramatic as a red card for violence. And you obviously know this already, but are putting on blinders as it relates to this specific topic. You're the same person who talked so much about how merely having won a title has such a huge effect on awards voting, when that position defended Maradona. Yet you are now trying to argue that it would not have ANY effect AT ALL. I've pointed out this inconsistency multiple times now, and you've not addressed it.

I didn't "forget the small detail." I actually specifically mentioned that detail in the post you quoted!

You must not follow the Ballon D'or, if you are trying to say it "usually places higher importance on the second half" of the year. It's actually quite the opposite. The second half of the year typically matters much less, since it's just the beginning of a new season. The award is very heavily weighted towards how the first half of the year went. That's why we already know, merely halfway through the calendar year, that Messi will win the 2015 Ballon D'or.

Anyways, I don't think the retirement had the massive effect you think it would on Ballon D'or voting. In a World Cup year, the Ballon D'or is often entirely about the World Cup, especially back then when the award was only voted on by journalists. Hell, Paolo Rossi won the 1982 Ballon D'or in a landslide despite having only played 17 matches for his club the entire year (not even playing at all until May). Zidane played 27 club matches in 2006, so it actually would've been less absurd to give him the award than it was to give it to Rossi. Yet there were not significant worries about "credibility" back then. Perhaps Zidane lost some votes due to retiring, but Cannavaro's subpar club play likely lost him votes too, so we're probably pretty even on how much out-of-World-Cup stuff affected the voting. In the end, though, the Ballon D'or voting in a World Cup year is virtually all about the World Cup. And Zidane was not even close to Cannavaro.

Even if you still think the Ballon D'or vote isn't a good indication of how the Golden Ball voting would have gone, we just come back to the patently obvious facts. Titles affect award voting, especially with journalists. You know this. You have argued this yourself. Yet you refuse to admit that the voting would have changed at all if it had been done after Italy won the World Cup. You are clinging to the irrational belief that journalists' votes would not be swayed because technically FIFA lists the match as a draw. You have to know that that is ludicrous, right!?

And this is where I expected you to go from the beginning. This is an actual debatable topic, unlike the last one.

You are right. He still places slightly higher than them, if all you care about is tabulating how well the players have done in Best Player voting, and let that be your only gauge of how well a player played.

But, of course, that's a real silly way to look at things in the first place. We all watched these matches. We don't need journalists' votes to tell us how a player played. And we know that Xavi and Iniesta consistently exerted a midfield dominance on each and every match they played in these tournaments that has never been seen before.

The fact is that awards are about a whole lot of stuff that has nothing to do with performance on the pitch. You know this. For instance, it's manifestly obvious that Zidane got a big boost in 2006 Golden Ball voting due to the fact that everyone knew he was retiring afterwards. It was a good story, journalists love good stories, and journalists were the voters. The BBC article I linked to earlier in the thread talked contemporaneously about how big of a factor in the voting this was. Meanwhile, Xavi and Iniesta are just manifestly uninteresting characters. These are the sorts of things that really do affect these awards. Again, we all watched these matches; we don't need awards to tell us how players played.

12. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #62 PuckVanHeel, Jun 22, 2015
    Iniesta is to a large degree a similar type of player as Zidane and that is basically no contest.

Xavi is a different player, and a good argument can be made that he was more influential and impacted the team results to a larger degree, but was for fewer years relevant as Zidane was relevant. While Zidane started his career further removed from the familiar top teams.

I've always been more of a Zidane fan than a Zidane sceptic though.

What is always gone missing in the heated/controversial Zidane debates is how Zidane won everything fair and square at the international level. Yes, he had a few suspensions but it is impossible to pinpoint where he was extremely 'lucky' (an extremely wrong ref call) or where he cheated. When he deserved red cards or suspensions, he saw them. France in 1998 as host also did it fair, at least almost entirely (e.g. without venue messing, referee appointment interference, ticket and accreditation tricks, state organized eavesdropping). Sceptics that mention his 1998 and 2006 suspensions miss the point that he faced them, and in 2006 he wasn't saved from a yellow under the guise of star protection (if he hadn't received the 2nd yellow at the group stage, nobody would talk about it today).

13. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I think that's all true. But getting a World Cup where your country is the host is, in fact, a huge stroke of luck for a player's career. The host doesn't always win, of course, but it's a huge boost to their chances. France dominated the finals, of course, but they really did struggle in the previous knockout stage rounds (an extra time win, a penalty shootout win, and a come-from-behind win). It's certainly by no means clear that they'd have won the World Cup if they weren't hosts. This is pure speculation, but I don't think they would have. And, if I'm right, then Zidane actually was mighty lucky.

leadleader repped this.
  14. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #64 PuckVanHeel, Jun 22, 2015
    I don't disagree with this logic but is there something that might hint at host advantage? An extremely partisan crowd? Only thing I can think of that might make sense is that they gave the famed and state-of-the-art Clairefontaine fortress to themselves (one of the better locations). Just a question.

15. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I really don't have the time nor inclination to answer your humongous posts in detail, it seems some posters feel they are right simply by overwhelming the discussion.

In any event, a quick reply to some of your points.

Those are the only teams that are actually good enough to win a World Cup, and if most of them are present in the Euros, then it's almost as hard to win as the World Cup.

You had brought examples of European teams who had reached the semifinals in past WC's, not winning the tournament but reaching the semis which is why I mentioned that "rest of the world" NTs like Colombia, Nigeria, Mexico offer a lot more than a NT like Poland, Czech Republic, etc. It depends on how "almost" is measured, but I can assure you we will not see the likes of Greece or Denmark winning the World Cup in our lifetime.

First of all, your comparison is a bit odd. The World Cup is ALSO ridden with teams that would not even make the round of 16 of a WC. In fact, by definition, half the teams at the WC would not make the Round of 16.

Obviously, since that is the format of the tournament nowadays. That was not the case for WCs 86, 90 and 94 however. The point is that most of the Euro teams, well over half of them, would fail to advance to the knockout stages of the World Cup and it looks to be an increasing trend as Concacaf, CAF and possibly AFC all strengthen up.

Anyways, just think about the path a team takes to winning the Euros compared to making the World Cup finals. Let's compare the difficulty of Argentina's World Cup finals run with the difficulty of Spain's Euro 2012 win. In 2012, Spain was in a group against Italy, Croatia, and Ireland. Argentina was in a group against Nigeria, Bosnia, and Iran. Spain's Euro group is definitely tougher (and this will often be true, since the WC group stages are littered with lowly teams that would not make the Euros). Then, in getting to the finals, Argentina beat Switzerland, Belgium, and the Netherlands, before losing to Germany. By saying that merely making the WC finals is better than winning the Euros, you are basically saying that those first three knockout stage wins are more impressive than the three knockout stage wins of a Euro winner. And, in 2012, those knockout stage wins were against France, Portugal, and Italy. That's simply not a less impressive cast of teams to defeat than Switzerland, Belgium, and the Netherlands.

Let's compare the first round teams first:

Italy > Iran
    Croatia < Nigeria
    Ireland < Bosnia

Not sure if you remember Euro12 well, but Ireland was absolute rubbish and has no business in being compared to any of Argentina's first round opponents.

Now on to the knockout stages:

France > Switzerland
    Portugal < Belgium
    Italy = Netherlands

Going by history, Italy should be the greater team but I am comparing their forms at the Euro versus the Netherlands' at the World Cup. Thus far, Spain's run has two matches up in its favor while Argentina's has three plus the match against Germany, which they lost but it was closely contested and obviously a further obstacle that makes the WC clearly more difficult to win. Then there is the situation where the Netherlands trashed Spain at WC14, while Argentina tied the Dutch and won the shootout in the semifinals. Conversely, I just don't see any of Spain's rivals at Euro12 thumping Argentina.

And when we add in the obvious fact that the World Cup finalist ultimately lost a match, while the Euro winner did not, it seems pretty clear which one is more impressive overall.

This is not much of a valid point given that the World Cup is a tougher and more prestigious tournament. Argentina could well have won Euro12 with Spain's route had they been in it without losing a match. Also, how about you compare Greece's Euro04 win versus France's WC06 runner-up?

The question is whether getting through the World Cup group stages, winning the first three rounds of the knockout stages, and then losing in the finals is more or less impressive than getting through the Euros group stages and winning the three knockout stages. I do not believe it is. The victories are roughly equivalent. That is basically to say that the top 16 at the World Cup are similar in quality to the top 8 in Europe, the top 8 in the World Cup are similar in quality to the top 4 in Europe, and the top 4 in the World Cup are similar in quality to the top 2 in Europe. The difference, then, is mainly just that the World Cup finalist lost a match at the end of all that, while the Euro winner did not. Adding a loss on top of a roughly equivalent set of victories makes the World Cup finalist a less impressive achievement.

Not when one tournament is clearly tougher to win than the other as I argued above. The loss that the Euro winner does not experience can likely happen to Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, or even Nigeria, Colombia, Mexico, etc.

Would the journalist voters have thought of it as a draw? That's the only relevant inquiry here, since we are talking about how those journalists would have voted. And, since no one actually thinks of it as a draw when one team wins the World Cup and the other doesn't, I think it's pretty safe to say that the journalists who voted on it would feel the same way. People don't vote based on what FIFA's official records technically say.

Honestly, I can't even believe you are trying to act like people do not see a difference between losing a World Cup final on penalties and winning a World Cup final on penalties. It is so self-evidently obvious that it is different in people's minds, regardless of what FIFA's official records say.

I'm pretty sure everyone sees the match as a draw decided on penalty kicks. The actual game is discussed as it developed, so for the WC94 final most everyone agrees that Brazil were the better side and had the initiative, while for the WC06 final is viewed as a closely contested match that could have gone either way with some luck for that side.

I'm not focusing on anything. I'm just telling you what journalists would focus on. And they'd absolutely focus on whose team won the World Cup and on something as dramatic as a red card for violence. And you obviously know this already, but are putting on blinders as it relates to this specific topic. You're the same person who talked so much about how merely having won a title has such a huge effect on awards voting, when that position defended Maradona. Yet you are now trying to argue that it would not have ANY effect AT ALL. I've pointed out this inconsistency multiple times now, and you've not addressed it.

Surely you are not comparing Cannavaro's WC performance with Maradona's. Or who knows, maybe you are since it appears to support your argument.

I didn't "forget the small detail." I actually specifically mentioned that detail in the post you quoted!

You must not follow the Ballon D'or, if you are trying to say it "usually places higher importance on the second half" of the year. It's actually quite the opposite. The second half of the year typically matters much less, since it's just the beginning of a new season. The award is very heavily weighted towards how the first half of the year went. That's why we already know, merely halfway through the calendar year, that Messi will win the 2015 Ballon D'or.

Anyways, I don't think the retirement had the massive effect you think it would on Ballon D'or voting. In a World Cup year, the Ballon D'or is often entirely about the World Cup, especially back then when the award was only voted on by journalists. Hell, Paolo Rossi won the 1982 Ballon D'or in a landslide despite having only played 17 matches for his club the entire year (not even playing at all until May). Zidane played 27 club matches in 2006, so it actually would've been less absurd to give him the award than it was to give it to Rossi. Yet there were not significant worries about "credibility" back then. Perhaps Zidane lost some votes due to retiring, but Cannavaro's subpar club play likely lost him votes too, so we're probably pretty even on how much out-of-World-Cup stuff affected the voting. In the end, though, the Ballon D'or voting in a World Cup year is virtually all about the World Cup. And Zidane was not even close to Cannavaro.

Even if you still think the Ballon D'or vote isn't a good indication of how the Golden Ball voting would have gone, we just come back to the patently obvious facts. Titles affect award voting, especially with journalists. You know this. You have argued this yourself. Yet you refuse to admit that the voting would have changed at all if it had been done after Italy won the World Cup. You are clinging to the irrational belief that journalists' votes would not be swayed because technically FIFA lists the match as a draw. You have to know that that is ludicrous, right!?

The latter half of the year sure helped Ronaldo win it in 2013 and 2014, the latter being a WC year no less. Typically you ignore any event that does not help your argument and instead of looking at Ronaldo's win only a year ago you rather go back to 1982 when the footballing landscape was much different. Cannavaro's wasn't even Italy's best player in the final, he certainly did not have the same influence as Zidane did throughout the match. There is absolutely no evidence that Cannavaro would have won over Zidane had the voting taken place after the final ended. By the way, didn't Messi, the losing finalist at WC14, was given the Golden Ball over Muller, Neuer or Kroos?

SayWhatIWant repped this.
  16. Estel

Estel Member+

May 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Are you aware of the circumstances in which France failed to qualify for WC 94? Cause frankly, the way that the WC 94 qualification campaign ended for France would put paid to any talk about home advantage for the French in WC 98. Rather, it would raise massive doubts about playing a WC at home (doubts further cemented by the NT's dismal ranking in the Tournoi de France in 97). As expressed exquisitely by Hristo Stoichkov -
    "The French were so scared they played with their buttocks clenched. We knew that's how they would be and our tactics were based on that. They played for a draw and never went looking for a win. They didn't deserve to qualify and we hit them where it hurt most."
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2012/nov/16/from-vault-ginola-houllier-france-feud
    Also, for every Germany 74 or France 98, you can also have a Spain 82 or a Brazil 14.

And speaking of luck, with a bit more of it Zidane could have ended up scoring the winner in the WC 06 final, instead of going out with a red card. Or he could have had 3 assists to go along with his 2 goals in the 98 WC final. Conversely, he could have ended up without either a Euro or a WC, if he had a bit less of it. In the end, he probably had as much of it as most NT trophy winning players do.

In any case, I think you should be giving quite a bit more credit to Zidane's NT career than you have been doing up till now in this thread. This is since he has one of the strongest NT resumes of any playmaker ever, while not having a major impact during what would probably have been his peak NT tournament, due to injury (referring to WC 02 here). I doubt any player with as great an NT career can say that (precious few that there are).

As for the club level comparison, I would have liked to see how well Zidane would have done as well, if he had been brought up in the youth ranks of a huge club and if he had a couple of other players of equal or greater caliber playing alongside him for most of that duration. All in a more favorable era for attacking players with most of the relevant competition concentrated in fewer teams and few defensive stalwarts plying their trade. But maybe it was for the best, since in that case his achievements would suffer from the same doubts that plague the achievements of players who actually have such luck.

SayWhatIWant and Pipiolo repped this.
  17. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    As a general historic trend there's no doubt that hosting a World Cup upgrades the performance. There are exceptions and the effect has maybe decreased over time, but generally there's a benefit. Spain 1982 and Brazil 2014 saw by the way both going decisions to their way that became explained as potential host advantage by some (in other words: we don't know how Brazil 2014 had performed outside their own country, similar for Spain their first group stage in 1982, against Yugoslavia and Honduras).
    But like I said, it is difficult to point at these type of things, such as a very partisan crowd, for France 1998.

France was second in the bookmaker's odds.

lessthanjake repped this.
  18. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I have only scan read this thread but interesting topic......

What I found interesting from a British point of view was that during coverage of the World Cup last year (and this did not happen for 2010) was that Zidane somehow was being elevated to the same category as Maradona, Cruyff, Garrincha etc....... in how they spoke of him.

My view was Zidane was a great player, but not an all time top ten. He never had an amazing club season and was in my view no better than Rivaldo or Ronaldo (different players I know but big names of the time) and did not have a WC like the players mentioned above. For example look how much better Juve did when they sold him and brought in Nedved by winning Serie A and reaching CL final that first season (again not saying Nedved is more better but arguabley more effective).

Zidane in my view certainly was not top ten of all time and borderline top twenty.......

The thing that people will remember more and put him up in people's estimation is some crucial goals and assists in the big games he played in 98 and 06 WC plus he had a great Euro 2000, he never reached anywhere near the consistency of Xavi and Iniesta at club level.

leadleader and BocaFan repped this.
  19. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I agree with your post overall but do you consider either Xavi or Iniesta top ten or top twenty of all time?

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well sure, but if the host is winning 50% of the time that shows a clear advantage in hosting.

FTR, Brasil'14 is certainly not a counter-example. Seeing that mediocre team reach the semis actually adds to the stack of evidence which shows home advantage is big. Just like seeing South Korea reach the semis.

leadleader repped this.
  21. Estel

Estel Member+

May 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    What I was hinting at was that Spain 82 and Brazil 14 ultimately had poor campaigns in spite of any help they might have had. There was a real concern that France could be in a similar boat due to the recent history of results at home prior to the 98 tournament.

Bookmaker's odds do not reflect the pressure that players are in. Did those make it easier, or allow the French to forget their recent history at home?

France is not a South Korea of World Football though to be happy with such a result.

And Brazil's WC 14 campaign is not an example of folding under pressure? Then what is it an example of?

22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    If they were going to fold under pressure it would have happened in the shootout against Chile. I mean, I guess you can always argue that they ultimately lost so they must have folded under pressure, but that's a weak argument IMO. Germany were just a better team. And w/o Neymar and Silva that made them a much better team. Brasil likely loses on neutral soil also. And I have serious doubts whether they get past Chile and Colombia (not to mention Croatia) without home advantage.

leadleader repped this.
  23. Estel

Estel Member+

May 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    But France didn't exactly get such help AFAIK, nor were they as shaky as Brazil were and thus needing it to advance. My point was that they certainly could have been shaky like Brazil 14 in 98, and in fact that they were like that only 4 years prior at home vs both Bulgaria and Israel. Most importantly, the manner of Brazil's defeat is going to leave some major scars. The disastrous WC 94 qualification caused the French to have a similar outlook for 98.

Also, if we are to look at odds then Brazil in WC 14 was the favorite at 3/1.
    http://www.ibtimes.com/world-cup-20...and-others-chances-winning-tournament-1559015

Bottom line, France didn't receive any specific 'help' and they were in more pressure than most due to their poor run of form in the WC 94 qualifiers and the Tournoi de France 97, at home. So I don't see so much of luck in them hosting the WC at home in Zidane's case.

24. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #74 lessthanjake, Jun 22, 2015
    I agree that there are certainly teams from other federations that are better than the teams at the Euros. But what you said here is not a fair or meaningful measure. OF COURSE, most Euro teams would fail to advance to the World Cup knockout stages. The knockout stages contain the best half the teams at the World Cup. You're trying to compare the best half of the World Cup to the entire Euros. The better inquiry is to make a fair comparison: would the Euro knockout stage teams make the World Cup knockout stages?

The truth is probably that those that make the knockout stages of the Euros are probably about as good as those that make the knockout stages at the World Cup (remember: only 8 teams make the Euros knockout stages, rather than 16). And this makes sense. Sure, in the last two World Cups, UEFA teams have done kinda lamely in the group stages, so a bit fewer than 8 teams made the knockout stages. But, for instance, 10 UEFA teams made the knockout stages in 2006. 9 UEFA teams made the knockout stages in 2002. 11 made it in 1998. 10 in 1994. Perhaps we are witnessing the relative fall of UEFA right now, but at the very least, it seems like UEFA averages sending 8 or so teams to the knockout stages. So the 8 best UEFA teams would logically be equivalent to a top 16 World Cup team.

I could do the same analysis at the World Cup quarterfinal and semifinal stage, and it would actually come out even more starkly in favor of UEFA. In fact, I will. Let's compare WC quarterfinal to Euro semifinal. In 2014, the WC quarterfinals had 4 UEFA teams. There were 3 in 2010. 6 in 2006. 4 in 2002. 6 in 1998. And 7 in 1994. So I think it's fair to say that the top 4 UEFA teams are more than equivalent to WC quarterfinal teams. Let's do the same for the WC semifinals compared to the Euro finals. There were 2 UEFA WC semifinalists in 2014. There were 3 in 2010. 4 in 2006. 2 in 2002. 3 in 1998. And 3 in 1994. So you'd be hard-pressed to argue that the top 2 Euro teams are not equivalent to WC semifinal teams.

And that is the appropriate analysis, since we should be comparing the WC Round of 16 to the Euro quarterfinals, the WC quarterfinals to the Euro semifinals, and the WC semifinals to the Euro finals. It seems obvious that, if anything, the victories to win the Euros are harder than the victories to get to the WC finals (obviously winning the WC finals is an extra hurdle that makes that more impressive, but that's not what we're talking about).

I think my general analysis above is more apt in general. But this is absurdly biased, in how you arranged your group stage match ups there. You pitted Italy, the best team of the group, with Iran, the worst team of the group. That skews everything. You should do it in order of quality for both groups. In that case, Italy >>> Nigeria, Croatia > Bosnia (or maybe equal), Ireland = Iran.

I agree with your knockout stage analysis. But, overall, that gives us 3 harder matches for Spain, and 1 harder match for Argentina.

But adding that loss to a top team is unambiguously a negative thing. So if the wins of the WC finalist and Euro winner are equivalent (which I think my analysis here shows they are more than equivalent), then the WC finalist team had equal achievements with an added negative on top of that. It might be unfair to penalize them for that, since the Euro winning team might have lost if given another hurdle as well. But we don't know they would have lost. We know the WC finalist did. And that matters.

Huh? What about what I said implied that I was comparing Cannavaro to Maradona??? The point is that you talked all about how Maradona didn't always win awards because the mere fact of winning titles has a huge effect on awards. But here, you refuse to admit that the mere fact that Cannavaro won the title and Zidane didn't would've affected voting at all.

The Ballon D'or is a different award now. I've posted about this before, actually. After the merger with the FIFA World Player of the Year award, it is no longer just voted on by journalists, but rather coaches and NT team captains as well. The journalists continue to vote much more based on titles won (for instance: Messi was 4th in 2010 Ballon D'or voting by journalists, and Ribery dominated 2013 journalist voting), but the coaches and players don't. So comparing today's Ballon D'or to a journalist-only Golden Ball vote is actually much less apt than comparing to a time when the Ballon D'or was also a journalist-only award. Journalist-only awards have always been largely about titles won. They vote based on what the narrative is (which is part of why I don't think the discussion based on just Best Player awards is particularly helpful here anyways).

As for the latter half of the year thing: Ronaldo won in 2013 due to the latter half of the year, simply because the first half of the year was considered a legitimate dead-heat. Meanwhile, Ronaldo won in 2014 because of winning the CL in the first half of the year (with no one on Germany being considered good enough to deserve it evidently). Honestly, I'm not cherry-picking here. There are very few times when someone has won a Ballon D'or based mostly on his performance in the latter half of the year. It's usually about the first half of the year, with the latter half as a tiebreaker. And I've had discussion on this forum about this very topic, and everyone who chimed in agreed that the Ballon D'or is mostly about the first half of the year. You claimed that the Ballon D'or is mostly about the end of the year. That's just wrong.

As for Messi winning the Golden Ball, I've never said a World Cup winner always will win the Golden Ball. A losing player that is considered to have performed much better than any winner could still win (especially when the winning team has no standout player so their players split the votes, as I suspect was the case with Germany). But when it's extremely close before one team wins, then surely one player winning the World Cup will sway votes in his favor. Perhaps more importantly, that's not even a remotely apt comparison anyways. The 2006 Golden Ball was voted on by journalists. The 2014 Golden Ball was voted on by a "FIFA technical study group." Journalists have always cared more about winning in votes. So the vote was not comparable. And that's another reason not to use these votes as the be-all-end-all in this discussion; they aren't even consistent in how they're chosen.

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I guess I don't understand your point. They were the favorite because they were at home. Not because they were the best team. If they weren't at home, they wouldn't have been favored. Simple as that.

6 times the World Cup has been won by the home team. I think that says it all. Historically, home team > Brasil

leadleader and lessthanjake repped this.