Xavi/Iniesta better than Zidane?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by lessthanjake, Jun 19, 2015.

1. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #3076 carlito86, May 2, 2024
    Last edited: May 2, 2024
    The one who ‘out dribbled’ Zidane in his “peak” season was Rui Costa
    D5B5950C-5532-4691-A693-9C48985D415E.jpeg
    https://www.skysports.com/football/news/2213124/rui-will-make-his-mark-at-milan

That’s 75 more dribbles+Runs for Rui Costa and he played like 200~ less minutes than zinedine zidane in Serie A 2000/01
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/zinedine-zidane/leistungsdaten/spieler/3111/saison/2000
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/rui-costa/leistungsdaten/spieler/3624/plus/0?saison=2000

That’s Deco,Luis Figo and now Rui Costa all statistically outdribbling zidane over the course of big games or an entire season
    In zidanes peak(2000/01) and when zidane was supposedly completely past it in 2003/04.

SayWhatIWant repped this.
  2. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    Yes, 2nd in the league. Unless you are suggesting wverybody was dribbling 2 per game which is objectively false!

3. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    Yes, I'm aware. I myself have posted that source previously. The point is he was 2nd in the league and therefore a high volume dribbler in 2000.

4. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    First of all, being 2nd in “dribbles and runs” doesn’t mean someone would’ve been 2nd in dribbles, because they are different stats (as you should well know at this point, after having unsuccessfully argued otherwise for years). And we’d expect a midfielder to have relatively more “runs” than a lot of other players, since they operate in more space than those further up the pitch. Which means there’s a good chance he wouldn’t have been 2nd in just dribbles.

And even leaving that aside, it is actually quite common for the top dribblers in a league season to only have around 2 or 3 dribbles per game. For instance, the league leader and 2nd place in Serie A this season have 2.8 dribbles per game. The league leader in Serie A last season had 2.3 dribbles per game. The league leader the year before that had 2.9 dribbles per game, and 2nd place was 2.3. The year before that it was 3.4 for first place and 3.2 for 2nd (and if we were looking at total dribbles, 2nd place had 2.9 per game). Second-place in 2019-2020 had 2.9 dribbles per game. Second place in 2018-2019 had 2.5 dribbles per game. I could go on and on, and we could do the same exercise in other leagues. It would not be at all surprising for someone to be 2nd in a league season in dribbles while only dribbling about as much as Zidane did in the OPTA data we have. A big part of what makes your claim so absurd is precisely the fact that the dribbling stats you’re claiming Zidane had are so rare!

5. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #3081 lessthanjake, May 2, 2024
    Also, to add to this, if we once again ignore that “dribbles and runs” is a different stat and assume that it’d at least be proportionate with dribbles stats (which, as I’ve noted above, is a favorable assumption to make here for Zidane, since he was a midfielder), the data there that @carlito86 noted has Rui Costa having over 50% more dribbles and runs per game than Zidane that season! So, if we are expected to believe that Zidane dribbled more than Messi and that “dribbles and runs” data should be taken seriously as a proportional indicator of “dribbling” volume, this would suggest Rui Costa was making like 7 or 8 OPTA dribbles per game. That is obviously implausible on its face. Rui Costa averaged 3.3 OPTA dribbles per game in the Euro 2000 that was held right before that season, and he averaged 3.81 dribbles per 90 minutes in his WC+Euro career. So, being proportionally 50% below Rui Costa’s dribbling would, in fact, suggest Zidane being around 2.2 to 2.5 dribbles per game—which is pretty similar to the kind of range Zidane was in for the OPTA data we have for him. If anything, this dribbles and run data is evidence that goes against the claim being made!

And that’s not even getting into the fact that I’ve previously showed “dribbles and runs” data in seasons where we also have actual “dribbles” stats, and demonstrated that someone with the same number of “dribbles and runs” per game as Zidane had in 2000-2001 only had 2.5 dribbles per game (see part about Victor Moses in this post, for an example of me making this point almost a decade ago to this same poster: https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/xavi-iniesta-better-than-zidane.2021285/page-7#post-32479367). Another reason this data actually goes against the claim!

6. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    But Zidane dribbled a lot more than Rui Costa at Euro 2000 so your whole argument falls flat on its face.

Tropeiro repped this.
  7. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #3083 lessthanjake, May 2, 2024
    What’s your point? That’s a tiny sample (and not something that holds if we add more NT OPTA dribbles data for these players—even if just from Zidane’s younger years). You are asserting that Zidane dribbled more than Messi in general (i.e. over a large sample). And your only piece of evidence for that is that…he dribbled a lot less than Rui Costa over a large sample. Lol!

8. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #3084 carlito86, May 2, 2024
    Using Zinedine Zidane as a reference point

228 dribbles & runs in Serie A 2000/01
    6AA9C280-ED2C-480F-BF02-03ED5EAF384F.jpeg

2767 minutes played
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/zinedine-zidane/leistungsdaten/spieler/3111/saison/2000

There is a relatively small sample size of data from Cristiano Ronaldo in the 2005/06 premier league
    DFBC19AE-DD28-4D73-9B30-E22396745D32.jpeg

253 dribbles and runs
    1559 minutes played

We actually know(as in 100% know) how many total dribbles he accumulated in the 2005/06 premier league

On a per 90 basis it was 4.21

As high as that number is(and it definitely is)

Lionel Messi had beaten that number on no less than 11 occasions

Eleven times
    A2741C16-E99D-426F-8AC2-FD1245356CBB.jpeg

https://www.messivsronaldo.app/detailed-stats/successful-dribbles/

Cristiano Ronaldos who dribbling peak(2005/06)was outdone by Lionel Messi 11 times completed 25 more dribbles & runs than peak zinedine zidane

And he did so playing in 1209 less minutes than the Frenchman (13 matches !!!)

Zidane dribbling peak over the course of an entire season was outdone by cristiano Ronaldo during a portion of a season

what case for zinedine is there as a super elite dribbler except games in a summer tournament that can be counted on one hand?

That 228 dribbles & runs statistic is most probably indicative of zidane being a dribbling threat but not in any uniquely impressive way

there is Rui Costa we looked at
    A classic number 10

Cristiano Ronaldo during a portion of his peak dribbling season

others too

winger
    David ginola in 1999/00
    291 dribbles & runs(2881 minutes played)
    9C53C941-6709-456F-A3EE-91B363EF1E23.jpeg

Striker
    Wayne Rooney in 2004/05 and 2005/06
    BD234C4B-0170-4E37-B74A-734E9E3D6B29.jpeg

It’s not only zidane we would have to entertain being a comparable dribbler to Lionel Messi but the list is very very long

9. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Great info @carlito86! Hopefully that’ll help put to rest this absurdity.

One thing that is implicit in your post that I just want to note: The data you provided indicates that Cristiano was making 14.61 “dribbles and runs” per 90 minutes in 2005-2006, and that he had 4.21 dribbles per 90 minutes. So that indicates that his “dribbles” were only like 28.8% of his “dribbles and runs.” I’ve also provided another piece of data showing that in 2011-2012, Victor Moses had 6.9 “dribbles and runs” per game and 2.5 dribbles per game. In that case, Moses’s “dribbles” were only 36.2% of his “dribbles and runs.” The data provided from 2000-2001 indicates Zidane had 7.4 “dribbles and runs” per 90 minutes. If his proportion of “dribbles” compared to “dribbles and runs” was similar to Cristiano or Victor Moses, then that’d suggest Zidane was probably making somewhere between 2.1 and 2.7 dribbles per 90 minutes. Which would also be quite consistent with the dribbles data we have for Zidane in WC+Euros and in the Champions League. All signs point in the same direction!

Isaías Silva Serafim and carlito86 repped this.
  10. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid

I personally can’t imagine zidane in Italy ever being better than this.

Offensively or defensively

088C00C1-0298-4155-977C-99D52C036E99.jpeg

lessthanjake repped this.
  11. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    2000-01 isn't his dribbling peak at 28 years of age. For reference, you can look at the numbers I have provided. I think an estimate between 3 to 4 dribbles in 2000 is very realistic.
    Secondly, you cannot extrapolate the numbers of dribbles and runs for a winger vs a CM. This is absurd.
    For Euro 2000, he has 28 dribbles and runs and 25 pure dribbles from memory. Try again

Tropeiro repped this.
  12. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    If anything, we’d expect that a winger would have a higher percent of his “dribbles and runs” be dribbles, because they tend to operate in more constrained space. So I wouldn’t say Zidane being a CM is helpful to you at all. Nor is it reasonable more generally to think that Zidane would absolutely massively depart from others in what percent of his “dribbles and runs” were dribbles. You’re not positing relatively marginal differences, but rather are positing that virtually all of Zidane’s “dribbles and runs” were dribbles, while only a small portion of “dribbles and runs” were dribbles for people we have both sets of data for. And you then back that assertion with a random claim “from memory.” Just stop this charade. You have literally humiliated yourself with this since 2015. Every piece of data we have points in the same direction, as does everyone’s eye test except your own.

13. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    Here are the facts:

1. Players`s dribbling volume peaks in early 20s, then progressively decreases throughout their careers. This is an incredibly reliable trend that is universal. It also makes sense based on basic physiology.

This can be observed based on aggregate data, or from any one player`s career for whom we have stats.

2. Based on what we do know, ie. dribbles and runs, Zidane was a leading dribbler in Serie A 2000-01, Euro 2000, La Liga 2001-02, 02-03, CL 01-02, 02-03.

3. When inspecting the dribbles and runs stat, there is an overepresentation of defensive wingers topping these stats: examples in early 2000s would include Zanetti, Thuram, etc.
    This is because the proportion is mostly runs rather than dribbles.

4. In the case of Zidane, the one thing we do KNOW about the composition of dribbles and runs, is that Opta (from memory as this is easily verifiable by all of you and I am not wasting time) had him at around 28 dribbles and runs, and 25 pure dribbles.

Of course, I do not have the dishonesty (unlike you) to presume that I could extrapolate this to the 228 dribbles and runs in Serie A, or other stats that we do have - but SURELY, it would be a more accurate or at least more probable estimate than what you have advanced.

5. There is significant VARIABILITY in production across any career and championship INCLUDING the 2% sample we do have of Zidane`s career such that any attempt to draw an average is entirely incorrect. For example, in CL KOs in 03-04, Zidane was averaging above 3. He was dribbling more in 02-03, and even more in 01-02, and even more in 00-01 and so forth.
    The sample is overrepresented with matches in Euro 1996 (injured and bad performances), Euro 2004 (over the hill physically), WC 2006 (definitely over the hill physically).

We could do the SAME exercise with Neymar, Messi, Ronaldo and clearly prove how wrong and deceptive you are, but that would be a WASTE of my time.

Lastly, I am well aware that I am discussing with a mentally ill individual who has never watched Zidane play. At all. In the strongest terms, I hope you realize that your behaviour is not at all within the spectrum of normal - and I recommend you seek help and the attention you need IRL.

Tropeiro repped this.
  14. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    For reference, taking :

Messi 2006 3.3 dribbles per game (3)
    Messi 2022 2.2 dribbles per game (7)
    Messi CL 2021/22 3.3 dribbles per game (7)
    17 game sample:
    2.8 dribbles per game.

Based on the argument and method set forth, we are to refuse to believe that Messi could have dribbled SIGNIFICANTLY more in say, 2010.
    This is the sickeningly dishonest approach you are applying, and I vilify it because you know damn well just how dishonest you are being.

15. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Between 2006 and 2022 is 16 years

that is literally the difference between zidane in his first full season(1990/91) and his headbutt on materrazzi in 2006(the last game of his career)

data actually exists for zidane in 1996,1998,2000,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005 and 2006

That is not the same as cherry picking games from zidanes first full season in his career and the last tournament he played before retirement

lessthanjake repped this.
  16. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    Go ahead provide the data for all those years Carlito

17. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #3093 lessthanjake, May 2, 2024
    There is no evidence that Zidane dribbled as much as Messi. Your entire argument is built on rampant speculation. That speculation is contrary to the data we have—including the data we have from Zidane’s younger years. Of course, you have other excuses why we should ignore virtually all of those data points too, because you are desperate to cling to a claim that has no evidence supporting it and that is just an obviously incorrect claim. You are now also engaging in your other patented tactic of making a specific empirical claim but refusing to actually provide evidence for it (who could forget the many instances where you’ve claimed to have unnamed “sources” for things but that you couldn’t provide the evidence then but would do it later when your “source” got back to you, only to never do so?). Everyone else who has posted about this (not just me!) has told you that this is not a believable claim. It is embarrassing to watch you continue.

Lol, love the projection, buddy!

The difference of course is that you’ve taken a sample that is all from well outside Messi’s prime. In fact, Messi was older in the 2021-2022 CL and 2022 WC than Zidane was when he retired, and Zidane was three years from getting his first NT cap at the age Messi was in WC 2006, so there’s literally no possible parallel to these in Zidane’s career. Meanwhile, unlike this silliness, a good portion of the data we have on Zidane is from Zidane’s prime years. There’s not prime-years data from Messi that looks anything like what we see from Zidane—which is presumably why you didn’t include any. And of course that’s because Messi was a substantially more prolific dribbler than Zidane.

And the hilarious thing here is that you also just engage in silly misleading dishonesty even in this dumb cherry-picking exercise. Specifically, Messi was a sub in WC 2006, so using per-game stats there is ridiculous. Messi actually had 7.38 dribbles per 90 minutes in the 2006 World Cup! So that is actually a data point that goes strongly against your claim. Overall, in that 17-game sample you list, Messi had 3.0 dribbles per 90 minutes. That’s still ahead of the Zidane data we have that is derived from across Zidane’s career, and you are using numbers for Messi that come from ages that Zidane didn’t even play anymore! Remember, by the way, no one is cherry-picking Zidane’s worst data points here. We are using all the data we have for Zidane, and you are comparing it to intentionally cherry-picked data for Messi. And yet, even taking out data from Zidane’s last several years, he still doesn’t match this cherry-picked data from old-man Messi! If you can’t even get Messi in line with Zidane when you’ve intentionally cherry-picked data from years where Messi was older than Zidane ever was, then that is a really good sign that you are clearly wrong!

Let’s instead look at data for Messi that is actually analogous to what we have for Zidane. Specifically, for Zidane we have data from NT tournaments when he was 23, 25, 27, 29, 31, and 33 years old. And we have CL data from when he was 31, 32, and 33 years old. So, for Messi, that corresponds most closely to the 2011 CA, 2014 WC, 2015 CA, 2018 WC, 2019 CA, and 2021 CA, as well as the 2018-2019 CL, 2019-2020 CL, and 2020-2021 CL. What do Messi’s dribbling stats look like overall in those competitions? Well, in those competitions, Messi had 320 dribbles in 58 matches. That is 5.52 dribbles per match! And it was 5.57 dribbles per 90 minutes. That is compared to the 2.52 dribbles per match (and 2.55 dribbles per 90 minutes) that Zidane had in the corresponding data for him. So yeah, if we do an apples to apples comparison here, Zidane gets absolutely blown out of the water. So I’m glad you had this idea of comparing specific data points for Messi! It really accentuates how utterly absurd your position is!

Gregoire repped this.
  18. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #3094 lessthanjake, May 2, 2024
    Following up on the last part of your post here, please see the last paragraph of my post above, in which I compiled Messi’s dribbling stats in the corresponding competitions at the same ages. Messi ends up with over twice as many dribbles in that data set than what we see from Zidane in the analogous ages and competitions.

Amusingly, by the way, Zidane only even had 2 games out of the 44 we have data for where he actually had at least as many dribbles as Messi averaged over the corresponding ages and competitions.

19. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    I'm not projecting. I am either generating content or documenting content for posterity on a subject I like at very low cost of time and investment. I don't write essays either
    My posts do not take more than 1min usually to produce.
    You however, are an evidently disturbed individual with a personality dosorder and likely unemployed and single. And I urge you to seek help with ppl that may care about you and get your mind off a dead forum.

20. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    LOL! No substantive response whatsoever, and just wild personal attacks. Anyways, I hate to break it to you, but I’m happily married, and, as you well know from prior discussions we’ve had, I’m a gainfully employed Harvard-Law-School-educated lawyer. So pretty much the opposite of what you suggest. Go project elsewhere—your constant preoccupation with personality disorders is perhaps revealing.

21. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    Zidane was a very good dribbler in his 2000-2003 prime, with a extremely good ball retention (certainly much more than Messi or specially Cristiano Ronaldo - or a better comparison certain more than Riquelme, another midfielder with great ball retention) and with a great on-ball technique. That is innegable. Number of dribbles you need to stop and watch, the metrics varies largely.

About the thead, Iniesta isn't close at all, Zidane seems to be a upgrade in everything here. Xavi, while being less creative and less of 'artist', in these times where control of the pitch and structured plays are overvalued, I see him being even a more central player than a 'luxury' Zidane, even being the lesser player.

22. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    Having to defend yourself online by providing specifics to strangers is clear insecurity. Nothing I said should trigger you to provide personal information as a normal individual. Your posting pattern is a clear indication of a lack of a healthy social life, work, and mental fitness.

Like I said I take less than 30s to post, and I evidently don't respect you as I've made it clear I take you for a willful liar. You mistake my replies for an attempt to debate you I fear or convince 2 posters on a dead board.
    The posts I make are for posterity / access, not to engage with you in debate lmao

23. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  24. ffff15

ffff15 Member

Argentina
    Sep 29, 2021