Xavi/Iniesta better than Zidane?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by lessthanjake, Jun 19, 2015.

1. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    You can just watch the video. Forget the numbers. Your argument makes no sense

2. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    Feel free to compare touches With cideo then you can judge qualty and pepo4mance. This is why I gave you video

3. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    What doesnt make sense?

4. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I cant slow down videos so it is difficult to follow what is going on.

5. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    upload_2024-4-30_17-43-12.png

Probably another reason not to dishonestly use a specific world cup sample to extrapolate for an entire career (or period of time).

carlito86 and Isaías Silva Serafim repped this.
  6. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #3057 lessthanjake, Apr 30, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2024
    What do you think was proven here? It appears that SofaScore has added stats for 18 Champions League matches for Zidane. In those 18 matches, he had 44 dribbles—which is 2.44 per game. This further disproves your thesis. Incidentally, that’s also actually extremely similar to the 2.3 dribbles per match he had in the World Cup run that was closest to the years of those matches (and to the 2.58 dribbles per match overall in WC+Euros). So it actually is an example of the World Cup sample being quite consistent with subsequent additional data.

Overall, we now have OPTA dribbles data for 44 matches in Zidane’s career. In those games, he had 111 dribbles. This is 2.52 dribbles per match (and it’s more like 2.55 dribbles per 90 mins).

7. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    You're genuinely hopeless and you fail to address the literal point that was explicitly put forth - which is players will have different outputs based on age / team / championship. Your attempt to draw an average just shows howblazy you have become in your drivebyposting.

8. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015

9. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    @SayWhatIWant
    More than 5 dribbles completed?

I don’t see it

I see Ronaldinho,Deco,Figo and Thierry Henry with 5+ dribbles in a single match
    Literally every single player you presented
    Except for zidane(the one you are making a case for)

lessthanjake and SayWhatIWant repped this.
  10. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #3061 carlito86, May 1, 2024
    Last edited: May 1, 2024
    Those are some ridiculous statistics for Deco by the way(playing for Porto away against zidanes Real Madrid)​

130 touches
    4 key passes
    8 dribbles completed
    1 penalty won
    :eek:

6 dribbles and 7 key passes in the home leg!!!

14 dribbles and 11 key passes over two legs playing for Porto against Real Madrid

Is there even one midfielder on the entire Whoscored database going back to 2009/10 who has ever produced this level of output against an equivalent team?

Xavi ?
    Iniesta?
    Modric ?
    De bruyne?

can someone find it

SayWhatIWant repped this.
  11. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    If you have games of a near washed Zidane in 03/04 producing matches with this sort of volume, I think you can rest assured that in his physical prime it is more than that. There's not much to prove or discuss. It would be like arguing that Ronaldo was producing 1 dribble per game or less in 2005 based on 2020 stats. Disingenuous.
    The point of my post shows that these players were putting up much higher numbers because the nature of the game was different and also that taking a few games from 600 game careers is NOT representative. You have ronaldinho dropping 11 dribbles, 4 years later he's at 1 dribble per game. I mean there's no point talking here if certain posters refuse to be honest

12. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #3063 lessthanjake, May 1, 2024
    Last edited: May 1, 2024
    Your argument is reduced to rampant speculation. The entire thing is now based on a logical leap that because Zidane was averaging 2 or 3 dribbles a game in some games in his later years he must’ve been averaging like twice that in his younger years. It is a completely baseless claim that you simply want to be true but have no evidence of. In fact, we have evidence to the contrary. Specifically, we have OPTA dribbles stats for Zidane for 16 games in his younger years, and he produced 2.67 dribbles per 90 minutes in those matches overall. Of course, you’ll produce some sort of other excuse for why that OPTA data isn’t representative either. To you, OPTA data that directly goes against your claim cannot be taken at face value, and indeed it must actually prove you correct through a tortured chain of wholly speculative inferences. The bottom line is that there’s substantial evidence that you are wrong. It’s also not something we should even have to be analyzing in the first place, because anyone who watched the player should know you are wrong. All you are doing is flailing around trying to come up with a parade of excuses for why the OPTA data must be wrong/unrepresentative and why, even though the data goes against your argument, it actually proves you right because we must speculate that Zidane dribbled way more in other matches we don’t have data for. It is embarrassing, and you should just drop it.

13. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    Yawn. You're obviously wrong. It's incredible how much of your life you dedicate to typing this rubbish out.
    If Zidane in 03/04 was dribbling at a said rate, obviously he was dribbling more in club in his younger years. That is NOT speculation. It is backed by obvious video evidence and havijg a modicum of knowledge of his playing career. It's also the NATURAL evolution of ALL players.

This is literally evidenced by every player you can pick. Figo, Dinho, Messi, Ronaldo.
    And we are supposed to believe Zidane bucks the trend? How extroardinary! He maintained his style and output even in old age!

14. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Lol, it is not evidenced by the actual OPTA data we have from Zidane’s earlier years. Nor from the eye test of having actually watched him. This near-decade-long crusade of absurdity must end.

15. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    What opta data do you have? What on earth are tou talking about. We know he was a leading dribbler in 2000 to 2003 based on what we have. Your eye test is garbage.

16. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Lol, reread my posts in the last couple pages of this thread so you can keep up. We have 16 games of OPTA dribbling data from WC+Euro in Zidane’s earlier years, and he produced 2.67 dribbles per 90 mins in those games. Of course, you’ll just come up with some other reason why those matches were purportedly not representative and therefore should be largely disregarded. And then this will go back to exactly what I said two posts ago.

17. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    16 with a wide standard deviation and confidence interval spanning different moments of a 700 game career? Are you dense or a shameless liar?

18. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Lol! There is an infinite confidence interval on the contrary OPTA dribbles data you’ve provided, since you’ve provided no such data whatsoever (since the existing data does not support your claim).

19. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    Silly dishonest man.
    I could waste my breath showing you how pan-career averages don't represent peak club volume but I'd be wasting my breath with a no-life weasel.
    Obviously, I can't takr Messi's WC 23 numbers and act like they are representstive. Or Ronaldo's last 10 years as representative of his esrly output. You have to be legitimately sick to persist on this poiny. Go docus on your life instead of perpetuating dishonesty online.

20. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Again, as I’ve pointed out multiple times now, you ignore that we *also* have data from Zidane’s younger years, and it doesn’t support your claim. The data simply doesn’t support your claim, and so, as I said, you’re left going around and around making wholly speculative arguments combined with excuses as to why all the contrary data we have is conveniently unrepresentative or incorrect for one reason or another (along with personal attacks to let out your frustration). It’s just silly, especially when you are the only person here who thinks that your claim is even remotely plausible based on the eye test.

21. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    What younger years pray tell?
    You're a genuine con artist with literaly zero knowledge of a player you've dedicated a huge chunk of your life discussing. It's genuinely concerning.

Again, your claim is ludicrous:
    The idea that Zidane is the one player that maintained the same dribbling output throughout his playing career is an impossible hypithetical. I refuse to be bogfed down by your trolling. My time and my life is worth more than engaging in a pathetic exchange with a genuine dishonest troll and absolute internet loser.

22. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Lol, no substance or evidence here at all. I think this exchange has run its course. Others can make up their mind about it, and you can continue to believe nonsense.

23. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    Yes, others can obviously tell just how downright idiotic and shamelessly dishonest the proposition that Zidane had a constant average dribbles, or that he did not dribble more in his youth than old age.

As for evidence, it has been provided ad nauseam. You are just one sad individual who must have a seriously empty and pathetic life to dedicate this much time and energy, persistently, without fault, at constantly replying - getting the last word - and being a shameless propagandist. All this on a completely dead forum. I quiver at the thought of the life you must lead. As for evidence, it has been provided countless times.

upload_2024-5-1_23-34-2.png

24. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Back to the greatest hits, I see! Dribbles and runs! Love it!