Post-match: USA vs Uruguay Copa America group stage

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Jul 1, 2024.

1. Kirium

Kirium Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Edmond, OK
    Then why is Berhalter choosing Richards for a system he's clealy not good at? Why not choose miles?

twoolley repped this.
  2. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Who combines for their clubs?

3. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually would have liked to have seen Tillman earlier last night. I feel like he does well in terms generating scoring chances when the game gets disjointed like it did in the second half. Obviously they don’t really play the same position.

theboogeyman, Zinkoff and Bob Morocco repped this.
  4. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trying to be as objective as possible I think the biggest difference/handicap the current squad has is no clearcut experienced, hardened and high IQ leader in midfield.

The Bradley/Jones double pivot will forever be underrated. I easily take those two as a combo over any combo of Musah, McKennie, Adams, Cardoso, currently.

It's the spine of the damn team.

In general I completely agree we are missing the general vet presence dudes like Cherundolo, Bocanegra, Gooch, etc offered. Just a stabilizing presence while importantly- top 23 level players.

russ, Mr Martin, gogorath and 5 others repped this.
  5. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Have been watching and saying for several years that combining a bunch of mostly role players that get to defer at club and let other, better players lead, results in a worse team than one made up of leaders at lesser clubs.

The MMA is great for 35 then 20 minutes in each half to shut down the other midfield and try to make something out of sheer tenacity, but it doesn’t create and it’s a liability the other 35 minutes.

Players aren’t as good as many hoped/believed.

But Gregg’s ideas have run their course and aren’t leading to anything. I think the team needs a new coach.

dark knight and Zinkoff repped this.
  6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    No idea. Either Gregg is an idiot or Miles is looking like crap in training.

Kirium repped this.
  7. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    CONCACAF performance:

1. Panama 6 points, advance
    2. Canada 4 points ,advance
    3. Mexico 4 points, out
    4. Costa Rica 4 points, out
    5. USA 3 points, out
    6. Jamaica 0 points, out

SteelyTom, Mr Martin, nbarbour and 4 others repped this.
  8. Scissorkick Collins

Dec 30, 2009
    Uranus
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My god that’s so embarrassing for us

majspike, JAVez1983, twoolley and 4 others repped this.
  9. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    US won three NL titles:

First one under Gregg:
    Semi — barely pass (a very late goal assists by Brooks\Wes, scored by Pefok)
    Final — nail biting over Mexico

Second one under BJ:
    Semi — run over Mexico
    Final — beat comfortably over Canada

Third one under Gregg:
    Semi — saved by a miracle own goal
    Final — beat comfortably over Mexico

Scissorkick Collins and TimB4Last repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I just think people for a long time have been looking at Richards with hope. :)
    The one guy we hope has a high ceiling. But he's not there yet.

I'll never forget the Bayern Munich academy director saying the reason they loved and signed Chris Richards was because he's like an elite basketball player who happens to play soccer. Even for them, those kinds of athletes aren't easy to find.

The two guys who Chris has been competing with at CB at Palace each started all of their nation's games at the Euros. Both teams that made the knockout rounds. Andersen of Denmark and Guehi of England. That's the way it goes at the PL level.

And yet Chris still played 2500 minutes for Palace this season. They got him on the field.

What I will say about the USMNT right now is this. We have a thread on our goalkeeping pool problems. We have a thread about our CB pool problems. We've talked at length about our fullback depth problems. We've talked about our #9 pool problems. We've talked about how our wing players aren't that great after Pulisic. We've talked about how Musah didn't have a great club season. De la Torre is being shopped by his bad Spanish club. There are people on this board who really don't seem to like McKennie. Adams is always hurt. I can keep going.

And yet the same people who believe all of that with regards to the talent on this USMNT, still act like they're shocked we lost to Uruguay. Clutching their pearls in disbelief. Uruguay just beat Brazil and Argentina in WCQing. Beat Argentina 2-0 in Buenos Aires.

The problem for the USMNT in this tournament wasn't this Uruguay loss. That was kinda expected when we saw the draw. We're not as good as Uruguay right now. it was the Panama loss. We can analyze that game until the cows come home, but the #1 reason we lost that game was the red card. Cuz the last time Berhalter and this "A" team played Panama at home, we blew them off the field 5-1.

nobody, Zinkoff, QuakeAttack and 3 others repped this.
  11. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    The red card was a gut check and we were found wanting. I dont want to see it used as an excuse. We have chased all the good refs out of the sport and all we are left with are the bad ones. This goes for the Euros too. We need to find a way to hold the line while a man down and we failed to do that.

Zinkoff, orcrist, Bajoro and 3 others repped this.
  12. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed that we'll never again be overlooked underdogs now that we have so much more visible talent overseas.

But why does that mean we can't meet expectations? Or at least not massively disappoint them? Or play to our level so that we beat opponents we should beat? Or play with a relentless, never-say-die intensity? Or perform well abroad in Concacaf?

The thing we seem to have lost is much more than underdog status.

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The #1 reason we lost that Panama game was the red card. Weah's actions. A whole analysis of the Panama game without that is idiotic.
    There are easily google-able statistics on what happens in international soccer when a team goes down a man in the first half. Even ones broken down by whether the higher ranked team is the one that goes down in the first half.

Yes it would have been nice to have "held the line." Is that what happens in most games people watch in which a team goes down a man in the first half????

Panama ain't St. Lucia.

Anway, as far as the Uruguay game goes....................Uruguay is better than us. That we already knew. Or at least I thought we did.

There's a reason that before the tournament started, we were 5th favorites in Vegas after Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, and Colombia. Uruguay and Colombia are actually in better form than Argentina and Brazil. Is Colombia on a 25 game unbeaten streak now? And for a while some had Mexico as a higher favorite than us (based on their draw in the knockout round being perceived as potentially easier than ours. In the end that didn't matter on either account).

um_chili and nfiniti repped this.
  14. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I suppose there's a chance Miles is not really back all the way, or Richards has still been better. Or maybe Berhalter is just stubborn.

15. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He sees Miles every day in training so something is up. I can’t say myself but a serious injury he is coming back from.

16. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Right. Berhalter's also a guy, though, who will stick with a guy he believes in, so Richards may be getting some of that as well. He's clearly the guy with the most upside.

17. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Potter I could see but even he's a stretch, to say nothing of the likes of Klopp, Poch, et. al. unless some sponsor of USSF decided to pony up the money in order to sign someone of that caliber.

18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    To be fair, Nunez got a yellow (that was a red if you ask me) which was Uruguay's first yellow of the tournament.

Adams could be said to have been reckless on the play where he got stepped on. Since he had time to pull out of the play where Uruguay got to the ball first and followed through anyway, he got the yellow and his foot getting stomped gets interpreted as a legitimate defensive action.

I feel like Colombia was the best team we played.

19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He's another player who could work as a 3rd cb man marking one side. In that way he ressembles Miles Robinson (or scally if we use scally as a cb).

We lack an anchor back like Zimmerman or Ream.

20. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Looking through the heat maps against Uruguay, the midfield offensively is interesting. McKennie doesn't stay back -- he goes wide and basically takes up the role Scally isn't doing because he doesn't come forward.

He does this a lot at club, but it's also pretty clear that Uruguay didn't let him have the ball centrally. Adams actually didn't stay back -- he filled that central hole. But he's not a creator.

Musah was freaking absent. His heat map almost doesn't exist. But where it doesn't he's not overly sitting back, either. Uruguay clearly did a good job of not allowing anyone to touch it centrally except Adams -- not shocking as Uruguay is good at that crap. Not entirely sure this was too conservative as much as it was good defense and perhaps a subpar match from Musah and McKennie.

I say perhaps because Uruguay is not chopped liver.

Marko72 and zlatan_but_a_car repped this.
  21. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We scored 2 goals on Bolivia. Panama scored 3 on them. Uruguay scored 5. We scored one goal on Panama. We scored 0 on Uruguay. Rinse and repeat WC peformance. If soccer were shampoo we would have no hair left.

As for the red card, remember the criticism of Berhalter's in game mgmt after Dest's red card v. Trinidad? What do you think of his mgmt of Panama game? Say you play a 433 and get a red card: You can go into a 441 and effectively defend as well as a 442 (if not better since subs can be made to tailor the situation). Tony Meola pointed something similar out in his post game analysis.

has anybody asked Greg what his thinking was?

22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He doesn't want to get criticized for using an MLS player in a game he will lose. He is choosing players to avoid black marks on his record. He is hiding behind team badges.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  23. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps it has been mentioned, however I read somewhere that Uruguay fielded more MLS players when defeating us on Monday than Greg did.

gogorath, Bajoro and Excellency repped this.
  24. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And when I said, at the earliest part of this process, that he should go to the Olympics instead of Copa America, I was argued down to my socks. Can't have that, because his feelings would get hurt. We need more leaders at the top, instead of people too cowardly to make the tough choices.

25. JAVez1983

JAVez1983 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Tampa
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's true, and people say the opposite thing about other players on less prestigious teams, but that do play regularly. That's why some people think I'm crazy for wanting certain less popular players to start. I watch them, they look good, what do I know :coffee: