The Kid's alright - Getting the last L'OL: Tanner Tessmann at Olympic Lyonnaise

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, May 26, 2020.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    So he's close to breaking in or far from breaking in?

2. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been making the bench at least but has had minutes hard to come by.
    https://www.transfermarkt.us/tanner-tessmann/leistungsdaten/spieler/670096 this was his longest cameo of the league season, second to the 38' he got in the cup. Hopefully he can force the manager's hand as the season progresses

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the bench:

Pl@ymaker and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tessmann (and Busio) in starting lineup today (per ESPN)

Namdynamo and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    You got that right!

[​IMG]

6. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good test for him. Hopefully he can put in a good shift and get some more playing time, next game.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Is someone injured or out of favor?

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #158 thedukeofsoccer, Oct 31, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    Went the distance in a satisfactory road draw at Genoa. I thought he played pretty well, from what I saw (2nd half). Got better as the game went on. Probably became more confident in the new experience, and it displayed some stamina for a big guy.

Speaking of which, for as much as he's physically imposing for a footballer, it's his possession ability that shows more. He doesn't have the aggression or mobility to use his body much to effect. But if you can find his feet, he's probably making a positive play w/ his soft touch, accuracy, & decision-making. He really does love that clipped diagonal ball.

This was an encouraging performance when it comes to how he's translating to Serie A and/or developing there. Wouldn't surprise me if he starts the next one too.

9. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Great to hear he got a full match in. Kudos to him and his hard work in training.

Pl@ymaker and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Very negative thinking - you are usually so positive.

11. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Where can we watch Venezia games?

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Was just curious is all. So many seem to be like he was out of his depth by even making the move but maybe he's finally breaking in which I shall be exceedingly positive about. :D

RossD repped this.
  13. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Paramount+ is covering all Serie A games through 2024.

14. ebado

ebado Member

May 2, 2008
    Played in the middle and deepest role of the 3. Only watched first half. Venezia had very little possession, lots of marking. Seemed fine from that angle. On a few occasions it seemed like he was a few seconds late in recognizing when his teammates were expecting him to drop to pick up possession off the center backs but that ironed itself out for the most part. On the ball he switched play a few times.

Ampadu was suspended.

15. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I dont think Tessman was bad at all. Clearly has to grow a bit tactically though

16. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Didn’t do anything noticeably bad or good. Glad to see him some time though. Would be great if he could start getting regular sub minutes going forward rather than no minutes.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  17. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Tessmann made a positive 15 minute sub appearance to help Venezia hold a lead and defeat Roma 3-2.

Tessmann is starting to look like he belongs at a Serie A level.

sakibomb523, Footsatt, Namdynamo and 5 others repped this.
  18. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was good off the bench today. Provided energy and played smart in closing the 3 2 win, with pushing the ball to the corner and running out the clock.

He's probably the 4th or 5th choice CM at this point for a midfield trio and I think that's fine. People forget he didn't play many games in MLS before making the move.

19. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    1457406797992562702 is not a valid tweet id

20. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Ouch, only going off the every touch highlights. That was brutal from Tanner. Seemed out of his depth. Comes in to hold down the lead and gives the ball away almost every time. Fortunately he got the foul called on that square pass in his own third.

nobody and Android Cat repped this.
  21. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #171 adam tash, Nov 7, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    the other posters said he looked good ...so which was it?

edit just watched - yeah brutal - lots of giveaways.

wixson7 repped this.
  22. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Why don't you watch and form your own opinion.

I watched the above highlights and gave my opinion. Other posters have theirs, not sure if there ever is an official final ruling in these subjective matters.

23. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Think you are being harsh, man. He didn't look near as bad to me. Has a ways to go technically, but also hard to get thrown in deep end with 15 minutes left, with intensity of game and such. A couple of the turnovers, he took the safe options to push ball ahead in opponents half vs. trying to control a difficult ball in his own half with other team's players rushing him.

Of course, he can and needs to do better as he matures, but if I were a coach- I wouldn't expect better in that situation. (considering all factors)

LouisianaViking07/09 and wixson7 repped this.
  24. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    at the end of the day, the team still did create several big chances with him out there...

but its the typical "boot it up field" random passses that are not what you hope to see from a Serie A mid....kinda sloppy

25. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Creation of chances was not the consideration, they were up 3 2 and trying to run out the clock and he happened to be involved a lot because the ball was on his side of the field. It's why they were going to the corner instead of putting in crosses in the 91st minute. It makes more sense in the context of seeing the game than just this touch video.