Next Coach

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by nbarbour, Dec 3, 2022.

1. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I believe that coaches are considered management and therefore their pay is not under union agreements. But i cannot be sure. I do read and understand most legalese but work agreements are well beyond my skills.

manfromgallifrey91 repped this.
  2. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The impact? They went up a goal and then made dumb mistakes all game long. Which continues to happen under Gregg. So either the players aren't listening or they aren't learning. It all falls at the coach.

Anyway, like I've said I highly doubt the USSF makes any change. Berhalter is their guy or they would not have rehired him. He would have to quit before they fire him. And he isn't walking away from that job, because he'll just go back to MLS and have sub 50 percent win percentage and get fired in a few years. Like Wynalda said, just have to suck it up and root for the team knowing Gregg is going to coach the WC.

nbarbour repped this.
  3. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The part about the USWNT coach being paid the same came in the announcements when Hayes were hired.

They were holding off on U20 camps to save money, I don’t know that they do have the money to pay a coach a ton more. Maybe over a shorter time period, but I did take it as notable when McBride said maybe after the World Cup.

Batson was named 6 months after the TV deal was announced so he had absolutely nothing to do with it. I don’t know they are seeing much of a windfall from it though. They get reportedly somewhere between 25-27 million a year from it and in the last head of the SUM deal they were paid 29 million (22 million the year before that). I think one of the hard things about selling the rights is that there were no qualifiers this cycle.

They also have increased costs because of the new collective bargaining agreements with the USMNT and USWNT.

The money isn’t around to pay a coach 10 million a year. Meanwhile someone like Klopp was getting paid roughly 26 million a year at Liverpool.. And maybe he’d take less, but how much less.

Bob Morocco repped this.
  4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That wasn’t true when Bradley was fired. So this is wrong.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  5. PJ234

PJ234 Member

DC united
    United States
    Oct 17, 2021
    So from what you're saying is we should blame the USWNT for some of the financial issues that US soccer has?

6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx BigSoccer Yellow Card

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US Soccer were able to re-hire their #1 choice as coach, who was also their #1 choice last cycle, they are hosting Copa America, the USMNT are higher in the FIFA rankings than Uruguay, Uruguay are already through to the knockouts and have little motivation, and even the betting odds have the USMNT favored over Uruguay... this should be an easy one for a coaching genius like Gregg! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Three and Three repped this.
  7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You’re making this part up.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone besides Wynalda would be interesting. He’s a nut.

9. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn’t say US Soccer has financial issues but I do think both the USMNT and USWNT get paid too much and I’d much rather those funds redirected to things like youth teams, coaches, etc.

10. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing I know is that Matt Crocker is not sharing this with Eric Wynalda of all people.

Pegasus and Grumpy in LA repped this.
  11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fear you’re right. Me, I (admittedly 100% subjectively) thought GB failed at the things he CAN control. If we had played well and GB made good decisions and we still lost, well, that can happen. Then it’s a Weah issue, not a GB issue.

But we didn’t play well and he didn’t make good decisions.

12. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crocker when asked about this said the coach did not have to speak English, but they did have to have a plan for conveying their technical instructions to the team. Given Biesla was the coach at Leeds I don’t think this would have been an issue.

More of an issue would have been that he was reportedly asking Mexico for a salary of 10 million.

13. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Often one of the first sign a coaches job is in trouble is when the decision maker has to come out and publicly support them.

russ and Ball Chucking Hack repped this.
  14. xbhaskarx

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why aren't the Gregg fans repping this one??

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those of us who followed the search for and hiring of Crocker and the subsequent hiring process for Gregg know this isn’t true.

It easier to understand the situation if you don’t believe things that are untrue.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you just posted it 10 minutes ago.

You have the patience of an 8 year old on Christmas Eve.

17. xbhaskarx

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay sure... and a year ago you were arguing that Cristian Roldan is better than Malik Tillman... remember that??

18. xbhaskarx

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To quote "The Dane" from Miller's Crossing...

"You ever notice how the snappy dialogue dries up once a guy starts soiling his union suit?"

Or in this case, personal insults

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Good point, but the fed wanted to try Klinsmann since before they extended Bradley and 2-4 hurt.

This time they don't have anyone lined up and Gregg was the result of their long, exhaustive, and completely scientific search for the best possible manager.

They're not going to let him go that easy.

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me? LOL.

21. xbhaskarx

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two different US Soccer supercomputers running two different state of the art algorithms to find the #1 best coaching option in the world for the USMNT out of 8 billion humans, four years apart, both spit out the name "Gregg Berhalter"... what are the odds???

22. xbhaskarx

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here you go... memory refresher from December 2022... The "a poster" would be me...

23. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Curious what makes you say this - I know zero about this so wondering what details you know - like what he did wrong, what he could have done, what he made worse, etc. He’s not been in the job a while has he?

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is and was have different meanings.

Look at this post too LOL:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/m...icked-the-usmnt.2120945/page-15#post-41061651

I literally wrote that Roldan wasn’t good enough to play for us. Not figuratively literally, but literally literally.

One rule that is valuable to me as I go through life is to START WITH the facts, and THEN come to a conclusion. If you start with the conclusions and then look for the facts, you’ll make lots of bad decisions.

Here’s a fun thought experiment…at that moment, within the SPL, which player was more highly regarded, Tillman or CCV? Because we just saw an SPL level superstar completely suck in a match. You were citing Tillman’s stats in those posts.

Another good piece of advice is haterz gonna hate, so dont be a hater.

25. xbhaskarx

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stating that "Roldan isn't a good enough player to play for the US at a World Cup" is something that 99.999% would agree with and not mutually exclusive to "Cristian Roldan is better than Malik Tillman"... and based on your comment the latter you don't seem to be disputing... good to know :thumbsup:

The Tillman vs CCV thing is irrelevant. I have never considered CCV good enough to play for the USMNT and in particular both his passing under pressure and inability to win headers scare me. They play totally different positions and it's totally different circumstances. Celtic always dominate so CCV's weaknesses are usually not an issue.

Tillman on the other hand has looked the same for Bayern youth teams as with Rangers as with PSV now.