MLS CUP CHAMPIONS 2024 ROSTER THREAD

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TrueCrew, Dec 11, 2023.

1. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    Marino is a 21 year old guy living in an English speaking country for the first time and walking in to a team that had a pre-established attack that was by far the best in MLS last and one of the best again this season. I don’t think anyone should be rushing to count him out already.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  2. Ball Kicker

Ball Kicker Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 11, 2022

He also has two kids according to an announcer on the broadcast a week or so ago.

I do think he has been a bit disappointing as well but yes, you gotta give him a bit more time to settle in and to break in to a team of championship winning players.

TrueCrew and TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  3. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can see the talent but you can also see the decision making issues. A perfect example was late in the game Saturday he was in the box with a clear opportunity. He over dribbled and lost the ball. What you might not have seen on the broadcast was Cucho lighting him up once the ball moved down to the other end of the field. He could have shot or passed and he decided to dribble.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  4. Jaybir

Jaybir Member+

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If AJ needs a miracle worker, I would be surprised. And if he needs one, there is nobody I would turn to sooner than Wilfried Nancy.

It takes two to tango. Diaz was already here. If he blossoms into something big, I'll concede the point. But by my assessment, Diaz did not have the final quality to excel.

On Hinestroza, I would say that is a fair counterpoint, so far. Let's see.

Either way, a "jury still out" example of of one against an impressive list of young talent that has been blooming under Nancy: Morris, Matan, Farsi, JRR, Arfsten, Schulte for starters. And this is just during his short stint here. The reason he here, is because of his success in developing youth in Montreal.

hardhead and TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  5. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    Yep, Nancy has built up a pretty good track record so far.

Hinestroza kind of reminds of me of Arfsten last season. You could see some of Arfsten's quality last season. He's dangerous on the ball. Comfortable attacking the box. But his decision making was always too slow last season, and even the beginning of this season. But he's become much more comfortable with the system recently and you are really starting to see him thrive. Cheberko was very similar from a defensive point of view between last season and this season.

I think we'll see something similar happen with Hinestroza. You can see the quality there. You can see the effort he's willing to put. The intensity he's played with off the bench in the last few games has been impressive. He just needs it all to click and that will take a bit of time.

TrueCrew, TRUJDUB21 and Minnman repped this.
  6. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's worth noting that Hinestroza only turns 22 this month (Arfsten is 23). I can pretty tough on Hinestroza, but he certainly does have technical ability and brings energy to our play when he's in there. He's under contract through 2026 with a 2027 option year. As a U22 player, his hit on the roster budget is inconsequential. In other words, he's to going anywhere and will have plenty of chances to impress.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  7. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to the club, Garber Bux.

8. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Sure hope we got a better player than him lined up that we plan to sign

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  9. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we have our Max Garberbux. Morris is gone to 'Boro. We got $350k here.

One open INT spot (unless we we have more guys coming off IDK about).

CM surely the biggest need with Aidan gone.

TRUJDUB21 and soccerncbus repped this.
  10. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Interesting that Montreal midfielder Mathieu Choiniere was a coach’s selection for the all star game. That means Nancy rates him as a quality player. If Choiniere still wants out of Montreal, what better location than Columbus?

Robbo Crewfan, TRUJDUB21 and soccerncbus repped this.
  11. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    I thought the coach's selections were very interesting. A few seemed forced by MLS, but others were players I could see Nancy admiring.

12. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    In order to receive gam for discovery rights, aren’t we required to make a “legitimate” bid for the player? I think there is a rule governing this. Something like a team that makes a bid can trade the discovery rights for the going rate. Failure to make a bid means we forfeit the discovery rights for a set $50k. If nothing else, it proves we are looking for a quality #9. I’m good with that.

13. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2013 Bill Archer, Jul 2, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2024
    I'd take Choiniere in a heartbeat.

He was on the all star team last year as well so his selection is hardly a surprise.

Montreal isn't very good, but their main problem is defense. And yes, he's made it clear he wants out. His contract expires at the end of the season but the Clubfeet hold an option for '25

TRUJDUB21 and soccerncbus repped this.
  14. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back in April, it was reported that we'd be hearing the details about those several tweaks to the roster rules that would be taking effect for the summer window. Well, the window opens in 16 days, so you'd think MLS will make some official announcement about this fairly soon. These don't sound like earth-shattering changes, to be honest, but the rumored extra $2M in GAM would be pretty damned big, if it ends up happening.

Point being, I'm sure Tall and Nancy know what's in the works and are planning accordingly. If no rule changes end up happening mid-season, that's one thing. But if we suddenly have extra GAM to spend buying down budget hits, plus increased flexibility in DP/U22 signings, we should be setting the bar higher in terms of summer player signings. Every other team with ambition will be.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  15. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's my read of the rules, as well. If we had a real interest in this player and an ability to sign him, I can see the amount needed to acquire his rights from us being considerably greater than $50K in GAM. On the other hand, it's possible that the base amount teams get compensated for this has been raised by the league. There's really no way of knowing for sure.

16. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Bogert said we wanted Hartel but couldn't come to an agreement. Given how Reus's Charlotte deal went down, guessing 350k is the going discovery rights deal for big names/dps

Ball Kicker repped this.
  17. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, were we too cheap? Why no deal?

18. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We didn’t want him as a DP

TrueCrew repped this.
  19. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    It was actually Veth who reported it Screenshot_20240702_125426_Chrome.jpg

That tracks with Veth's number of 1.5 million

TRUJDUB21 and zman31 repped this.
  20. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That kinda sucks that we missed out on this guy, but with that number of 1.5m, this tells me that they wanted to either keep their options open for a DP or they’ve already targeted one. They aimed as high as they possibly could.

TrueCrew and TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  21. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Starter wise yes CM & CF, depth wise CB

but we need multiple guys .I don’t think we can get a target forward without selling JRR or Ramírez. I would not let Ramírez go until after the season.

22. 96er

96er Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Columbus
    IMG_1676.jpeg
    Matt Doyle gets it.

23. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    This would be worth it solely to watch a certain segment of the USMNT fanbase lose their minds. As long as Claudio is inserting himself in Gio career decisions, there's no way he ever comes here, but the thought of it is pretty funny.

TrueCrew repped this.
  24. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it also signals, to me at least, that we wanted to go bigger at DP. so, not cheap in total.

We liked Chambost (TAM) + DP over
    --------------- this guy (DP) + TAM guy.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  25. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it shouldn’t just be Gio.
    Sargent, McKenzie, Richards, McKennie, Weah, Musah, hell everyone but Pulisic should consider MLS so they get solid minutes leading up to 2026