Injuries aside, was Peak Neymar better than any non-Messi player this era?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by lessthanjake, Mar 13, 2023.

1. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Only a person who argues in a bad faith would argue over a definition and choice of words other members use. If someone explains you what they meant by that term or a phrase what is the problem?

It seems you dont even disagree with the underlying meaning of the phrase statistical randomness so what is the point of arguing so harshly against it?

And it is not representitive sample of his career to be very precise. It is good enough but not representitve as "averageness" of those 8 games dont coincide with "averageness" of all of games he has played. But that isnt really that important nor is difference a big deal

lessthanjake repped this.
  2. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The point is to troll and obfuscate, and unfortunately it has been at least somewhat successful.

3. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    He knows he is wrong to a degree. You can only run from the truth and what is sensical as far.. that will make him more cautious about what he says in the future so it is a success in a way.

4. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    No, don't you even try.
    I did ask him to explain the phrase. He has not. I asked for a definition of statistical randomness. He has not provided it.
    If he has, and I am making a mistake, you can quote me and I will apologize (even if the definition is wrong, impertinent, fake).

Just so you know:
    Non-representative does not mean random. If I am looking at the effects of the Pfizer vaccine on the American population, but select a sample of just "White Americans" - that is a non-representative sample. If I take a representative sample, but the sample is small, that sample is "underpowered".

In the case of 8 consecutive matches, the shooting efficiency in those 8 matches cannot. Cannot. Cannot. Be described as "random". Shooting a football is not a "random" phenomenon like a non-weighted dice. These are NOT analogous phenomena under any circumstances.

To analyze the player's shooting efficiency in a 8 game stretch is perfectly VALID. You are DESCRIBING a real phenomenon.

The discussion centred on Neymar's performance during a 2 month stretch without Messi. In this discussion, somebody (not even me) described Neymar's shooting efficiency. At some, point a poster claimed this shooting efficiency is "randomness" which is a falsehood.

With respect to sample size, a random 40 shot sample may actually be sufficient FYI, depending on the error that is deemed acceptable. You would have to run the numbers - which nobody here has - which is why I found his statement about 40 shots positively hilarious.

5. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    I request you provide a reference to a chapter in a statistics book you studied from pertinent to the discussion, or a screenshot of a relevant course you have undertaken in your studies.
    I will not accept that you denigrate me as such because you have an agenda against me.

6. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    This is literally a long discussion because I used the phrase “statistical randomness” instead of random sampling error. It’s just unbelievable, and obvious trolling.

7. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    Wait a second.

8. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I’d preferably wait forever if you’d instead just talk about something substantive rather than engaging in endless pedantry.

9. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    I forgot to address this.

I just want you to be clear and explicit and for everybody here to hear (read):

Do you stand by the statement that a consecutive 40 shot sample constitutes "large random sampling error"?

If no, please modify the statement accurately.

My question is extremely precise, concise, and clear: Do you stand by the accuracy of this statement?

10. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yes, and just shut up. Say something of actual worth, or stop talking. You’ve now made 18 straight posts about this where you say absolutely nothing of worth and just engage in pedantry. It’s completely ridiculous, and is blatant trolling.

11. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    "?shut up?"
    Ah, you crossed the line. I hope the moderators can see this.
    It's one thing to be wrong and obstinate, it's another to be lose your temper and lose your decorum.

For the record, a consecutive 40 shot sample does NOT constitute "random sampling error".
    n was defined as the 8 consecutive matches Neymar played without Messi. In no world is this a "random sampling error" since the sample itself is not randomly selected. If you had the most meager working knowledge of statistics, you would have called it "selection bias".

If you would like a source:
    https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/samplingerror.asp

It is absolutely relevant since you claimed Neymar's performance in an 8 game stretch is "statistical randomness" which is a rubbish statement that dismisses the events of those matches as some stochastic happenstance of the universe. I mean how dare you. How dare you. Have a modicum of shame. You stand for anything but the truth.

12. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #487 lessthanjake, Sep 5, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2023
    LOL, you keep cooking, buddy. Let me know when you wish to actually have a substantive discussion.

For the record, random sampling error still exists in a non-randomly-selected sample (though I also would say Messi being randomly injured at that point made it a random sampling in a sense). In any event, it’s all just a meaningless pedantic discussion about labels on a concept we all understand substantively applies here.

SayWhatIWant repped this.
  13. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    Quite the intellectual you are.
    Wake me up when you define "statistical randomness" or explain to us why real-world sporting events are "statistical randomness".
    You're lucky I didn't quote you when you claimed the same thing about the 5 CL's Madrid won in recent times.

14. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Seems you were intent on reaching 20 posts composed entirely of pedantry, rather than making any substantive point. Well done!

SayWhatIWant repped this.
  15. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #490 lessthanjake, Sep 5, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2023
    In the interest of being completely accurate (since we have a resident pedant here and I can no longer edit this post), I’ll note that I think what I said in parentheses is actually a real stretch at best. My thought while writing this was that Messi’s body essentially decided the sampling and did it randomly since it didn’t decide when to be injured, but that is convoluted and doesn’t actually really make sense IMO, for various reasons.

The far more important thing here is that random sampling error does actually exist in a non-randomly-selected sample. The fact that the sample isn’t randomly selected just adds additional potential error on top of that (i.e. selection bias), but those errors are not mutually exclusive. I’m honestly a little surprised that the self-appointed arbiter of what anyone with the “most meager working knowledge of statistics” would say would ever suggest otherwise, since that’s a pretty glaring mistake that suggests a very basic lack of understanding of statistics. And amusingly it was a mistake that the pedantic argument ultimately ended up relying upon. The reality is that random sampling error absolutely still exists here, and in this case with such a small sample of shots, the margin of error in terms of conversion rate would surely be large.

In any event, as I said, this is all just a meaningless pedantic discussion about labels on a concept that we all understand substantively applies here (and since it applies, I was right on the underlying substance of the discussion, regardless of the label used to describe why I was right). But I wanted to correct/retract my parenthetical and also just note that the self-appointed arbiter of statistics knowledge actually has no idea what he’s talking about at a very basic level.

16. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    Careful not to confuse yourself too much! We were discussing Neymar's conversion rate in an 8 game consecutive stretch including the totality of the shots during those 8 games. To which you claimed the conversion rate was the product of "statistical randomness" of a sample (ie. a random happenstance) and proceeded to state a sentence that will survive in infamy:
    ""statistical randomness from the sample being just 40 shots is obviously enormous""
    failing to understand that conversion rate is not a dice roll. The "enormous" makes me chuckle to this day.
    You then proceeded to use the term "random sampling error" which is completely impertinent to the case since this is a selected sample. Sampling error would arise well... when sampling from the natural population... which is not what we performed. We simply selected a well-defined subgroup of shots which is not representative of the total history of shots Neymar took... but that was not the point of discussion.
    Quite frankly, you have gone back and edited your posts, but thankfully I quoted most of yours. Anybody with a shred of understanding of statistics will have a chance to look back and laugh.

17. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    As I explained above, you don’t know what you’re talking about at a very basic level. Ah well, I’m bored of this.

18. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    You're good at this charade. Like I said, anybody who has ever taken an introductory statistics class will read this discussion, and thankfully what you have said lives on in my quotes. So, anybody partial (or impartial) will read what you have to say and chuckle and there is NOTHING you can do about it, because it is set in stone on the internet. forever. Be bored and so long :)

19. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I dont really read all of your posts. I comment on what I see and feel like saying.

I am sure he uses the word random synonymously with the meaning of uncertainty.

Nothing is truly random. Randomness exists only for an observer who lacks adequate information or knowledge about outer phenomena.

Weather for example appears random although it is not.

Regarding Neymar and the statement that shoting efficiency in 8 games is random, i think it is self explanatory, if stated in that way, that he meant that the sample of those 8 games is not enough to extrapolate what he would actually do for longer periods of time.

Sample size is small enough to have a substantial amount of randomness, chance, luck,..invovled.

If you dont believe that is true, test it yourself. Select random 8 games in a row from Ronaldos career and compare it to the next randomly selcted 8 games in a row. You will see enormous difference. So you cant just trust one set of 8 games in a row. That is the point.

But i must admit i dont see how exactly Messis absence, other than psychological one, has any impact on Neymars shoting abilities as that is probably one of the most individualistic skills there are.

Regarding representative sample I still dont understand if you get it.

Lets look at it this way.

One day you decide you want to find out what population of football fans think about who is better: Messi or Ronaldo, so you make a poll.

Lets say there are 100 000 football fans. That is entire population, but you cant ask all of them an opinion. You can ask only 1000 football fans. So how do you estimate what the whole population thinks by asking only 1% of population the question?

Firstly, if the real opinion (that you dont know atm) of population is that Messi is better 60% (that many would vote for Messi), you will not go to the streets of Madrid and ask 1000 football fans there that question, because they will give you biased answers in favor of Ronaldo and that would make the selected sample of that poll NON-REPRESENTATIVE of the whole population of football fans.

If 2% of football fans are Real fans and 1,9% Barca fans, in a population of 100 000 that makes it 2000 and 1900 respectively. For a poll of 1000 votes that would make 20 Real fans and 19 Barca fans. Ideally, representative sample would have the same percantages and ratios of football fans as does population. The same would be done across multiple variables like age, ethnicity, etc.

But in reality you dont manually pick and choose voters to create a perfect balance of voters, the selection process must be random.

That is the issue the word representative deals with and only that.

Also there is an inherent degree of uncertainty about the poll with 1000 votes for a population of 100 000 even if you have a perfectly representative sample of votes. That is actually something that can be calculated in this case.

Neymars 8 games in a row without Messi is not neither representative or big enough sample size to determine anything related to his career (which would be whole population in this case). To actually determine Neymars shoting efficiency in his career without actually measuring it for every game, you would need to randomly select 100 games of his career and see the results.

20. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    Too long of a text. Didn't read all that since you are arguing witha ghost. Can you quote me sayimg neymar's 8 games is representstive of his career? Go ahead quote me because I never said nor was that the discussion point.

21. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    This is dumb. The whole thing can be boiled down to a question of whether Neymar finished better than usual in those games simply as a result of random sampling error (i.e. due to us looking at a very low sample size of shots) or whether there’s something about playing without Messi that makes selection bias be the cause of Neymar’s better finishing. Only if it’s the latter does it suggest Neymar could’ve sustained that over a longer time period without Messi. The assertion has been made that Neymar could systematically finish better without Messi, but, as I’ve repeatedly pointed out, that was based on assertions that are pure speculation (i.e. that Neymar would get “better” chances without Messi, and that he systematically outperforms xG more on such “better” chances) with zero evidence presented to back them up. And when we’re talking about a sample size of 40 shots, it’s very plausible for random sampling error to be the cause of the entire difference from Neymar’s norm (my guess is the margin of error at a 95% confidence level with that kind of sample size would probably be something like +/- 5 or 6 goals). So the assertion that Neymar could’ve sustained that over a longer time period without Messi is basically just pure speculation wrapped up in a complete denial of the existence of a high margin of error. Which is perhaps why the tactic has been to engage in pedantry instead of actually discussing the substance of the issue.

22. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    Finishing is a non-random phenomenon. Your comment is outrageous. Conversion rate is absolutely not a stochastic natural phenomenon. This is not a dice roll. You are digging yourself deeper in your ridiculous assertion.

23. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You’re just arguing a non-sequitur straw man. Finishing doesn’t have to be a completely random phenomenon for there to be random sampling error in how well someone finishes in a certain sample of shots. Focus on the actual point here. What you need to argue to make the substantive point you were making is that Neymar would’ve sustained that finishing over a much larger number of games without Messi. Despite making 20+ posts on the subject, you have provided absolutely nothing to support that except completely baseless speculation, as well as an endless array of pedantic and/or irrelevant points.

24. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    It is not random sampling either!!!! It is a pre-defined population of consecutive shots when Messi did not play. There is nothing random about this population. This is turning into a clown show.

25. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You literally don’t understand basic statistics and apparently think that random sampling error and selection bias are mutually exclusive concepts. They are not, as I’ve already pointed out. You seem to want to just engage in a merry-go-round of pedantry instead of actually engaging with the underlying substance of the issue. Call random sampling error whatever you want. I don’t care what you call it—please just actually engage the substantive point.