Copa America 2024 - General Thread

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by KRCSoccer, Oct 13, 2022.

1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, Brasil a bit screwed on that non call on the foul on Vinny Jr in the box. But even if Brasil went up 2-nil there , I would expect Colombia to have come back to make it 2-2. They only let up once/because they already tied the game which was as good as a win.

Another game where VAR wasted 6-7 minutes w/o actually doing anything whatsoever :ROFLMAO:

2. Viking lord

Viking lord Member

Uruguay
    Aug 4, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Form and quality go hand in hand. Brazil has a better squad than Colombia man per man but it is obvious that Colombia is playing better at the moment and it's more of a threat than Brazil.

That being said, I think Bolivia and Paraguay are worse teams than all the Concacaf teams that participated. Peru and Chile are more or less around the level of some of them.

I don't have a problem with Concacaf teams participating in Copa America (I mean they are included in the name after all) as long as we don't have every single edition hosted in the USA

jagum, nfiniti and Iranian Monitor repped this.
  3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    There were questionable calls on both sides.

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Of course. Every match has that. But a non-PK call doesn't really offset a missed foul in midfield, a cheap or harsh yellow card and other things like that.

5. HomietheClown

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    VAR took a look at it and they came to the conclusion it was not a clear and obvious penalty.

VAR took a look at the FK header by Davinson and came to the conclusion is was not a goal but rather offside.

That evens out in my book.

DrScorpio repped this.
  6. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    GerVZLA repped this.
  7. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Vini Jr has been nominated by Conmebol for the Bitch-of-the-Tournament award.

BocaFan and Loco repped this.
  8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    For a poster who has been quite vocal about how terrible the refereeing has been in this tournament, in particular after the US got eliminated in part because of a goal which proved to be the correct decision, you seem pretty cool with the refereeing now. What changed? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

9. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Actually, for that tournament, Chile did score 1 goal,.......

It was an own goal.
    Also was the first own goal in Copa America history...

GerVZLA repped this.
  10. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Group of Life vs Group of Hype, who wins? 6 goals over 5 matches vs 10g over 5m.

Group of Pain vs Group of Trend, who advances? 15g over 5m vs 11g over 5m.

11. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Not really.

2-4 years ago, I can grant it to you, as almost everybody could beat us easily.

Under Berizzo as coach (our previous coach), we did almost nothing good. History has him among the worst performing coaches Chile has ever had. Under Lasarte, who came before him, Chile still managed to get some good results. You can like it or not, but with him as coach we did reach quarters in the Copa America that came before (2021 in Brazil), where btw, Peru finished above both Ecuador and Venezuela in their respecful group (with draw vs. Ecuador and win over Venezuela).

But during this last year (now with Gareca, as our coach), Chile is managing to get better results, than those we got before.

2 scoreless draws in 3 matches wasn't enough to go through in this Copa America (well, s**t happens), but our only defeat came to the current World champion over a very doubtful last minute goal . Bad yes, but not so bad.

If maybe we had an easier group, as the only group in this Copa America 2024, where NO past Copa America champion played in, our luck could've been better.......;):p

HomietheClown repped this.
  12. HomietheClown

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nothing has changed.
    I literally said there were questionable calls for both Colombia and Brasil.

The USA match (Pan) I was talking about had less to do with VAR and had more to do with the way it got out of control and too physical.

13. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  14. GerVZLA

GerVZLA Member

Caracas FC
    Venezuela
    Nov 12, 2023
    #1464 GerVZLA, Jul 4, 2024 at 8:03 PM
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2024 at 8:32 PM
    its Messi bro, happens every time, every where, for example:

https://www.eltiempo.com/mundial-qa...re-de-vitruvio-hecho-por-un-colombiano-726946

If you look for other nationalitys, you will find a lot, for sure.
    I wish it were just a matter for the Technical Director, but the truth is it is not.

I had already explained it previously, that they are not limited to the results of the major selection, but that these results are a consequence of a series of causes.

From what I see, you are Chilean, so you must know (something that others do not know) the problems in the Chile Cup, and the problems with the lower divisions (mismatch of schedules, economic problems, etc.).

Beyond that, in terms of lower categories they also do not have players with the talent that has been shown in the recent past, I said previously: There is no Kendry Paez in Chile, or examples even of a lower category but equally emerging, a Jon Aramburu, or a David Martinez, etc.

It is not only a DT matter, and to say that it is is to look at things from a very superficial perspective.

Today Chilean soccer is at the level of Paraguay, Peru and Bolivia, as a whole!

15. GerVZLA

GerVZLA Member

Caracas FC
    Venezuela
    Nov 12, 2023
    In 2015 Chile was at the level of Argentina and Brasil.

Chile in 2015 was more than Colombia, Uruguay, Perú, Paraguay, Bolivia, Venezuela and Ecuador.

In 2015 Chile had no past Copa America Champions players.

Having said that, you then have an example of what the "here and now" is.

Chile today is not even remotely what it was with the golden generation, and definitely neither is Peru, therefore, I make it very difficult for Chile or Perú to have had a different outcome regardless of the group in which they played.

Chile was in the easiest group bro.

16. 954gator

954gator Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Peru got a straight red for a follow through after getting ball vs Canada. Just sayin. Not even a foul for Argentina.

17. GerVZLA

GerVZLA Member

Caracas FC
    Venezuela
    Nov 12, 2023
    Enner Valencia has become the villain of Ecuador

18. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Oops! Vini Jr has competition for this coveted award: Rodrigo DePaul
    Tough call!

19. GerVZLA

GerVZLA Member

Caracas FC
    Venezuela
    Nov 12, 2023
    LoL... That refferee hahahaha

20. GerVZLA

GerVZLA Member

Caracas FC
    Venezuela
    Nov 12, 2023
    #1470 GerVZLA, Jul 4, 2024 at 10:54 PM
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2024 at 11:00 PM
    Enner out, Goal!

Thats a valid goal!

¡¡¡¡Griip Bi is thi iisiist griip!!!!!

[​IMG]

21. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    You’re not Loco Abreu…

22. GerVZLA

GerVZLA Member

Caracas FC
    Venezuela
    Nov 12, 2023
    Hahahaha Dibu being Dibu!!!

23. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    It was all there for the taking, Ecuador.
    You can’t blame anybody but yourselves.

Paul Calixte and GerVZLA repped this.
  24. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been away from BS for a bit, so a general catchup:

First things first, congrats to @GerVZLA for the clean sweep on guessing the 1st and 2nd placers in each group! :thumbsup:

With respect to the US: if anything, this is a strong argument in favor of keeping this format. No room for lucky 3rd-placers to sneak in, or garbage formats like the previous edition with an entire group stage to only eliminate two teams...

As for this: yes, let's completely ignore that Conmebol provided 4 of the 5 worst teams in the tournament. Arrogance does not become you...

So there's no Disciplinary Committee to mete out justice after the fact, I see.

First time watching Copa América?

The 2016 Centenario edition that people weren't sure teams would take that seriously ended with 15 red cards, so - as Peru's coach was hinting at, yeah, we square up over here :D

You know what the E in ESPN stands for, right? No reason to ever take Álvaro Morales' discount Skip Bayless schtick seriously.

Now the one thing we're not gonna do here is tolerate Martinique slander... because when it comes to the World Cup, they technically have more championships than all but 3 countries in the hemisphere ;)