Changing Landscapes - Chicagoland

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Dec 28, 2016.

1. SouthwestSoccer107

Fire
    United States
    Oct 15, 2023

Curious is letting the 2009 come back and play the last few games impacted team dynamics? Sounds like yes if the other GK left.

I have noticed a trend at some clubs where players “player up” in higher age groups during playoffs or regular season, but return to their own age groups if they do not advance or miss the playoffs.

I’ve always thought this practice can potentially create tension within the team, especially for players who lose playing time. Especially when playoffs revolve around college recruiting, and I find it puzzling to reduce the minutes of players who contributed to reaching the playoffs.

VolklP19 repped this.
  2. SoccerLife5

SoccerLife5 Member

France
    United States
    Jul 26, 2023
    Wow! No idea how I would handle that as the parent of either keeper. Seems extremely callous of the club to do that just to win a championship. Seems like you should stick with the team that got you there. I know a lot of clubs do this but it just seems wrong.

SouthwestSoccer107 repped this.
  3. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Magic did this all the time at fly aways - new kids would show up with a practice jersey and a few starters were benched for entire weekends - never a good thing IMO.

4. WI Soccer Dad

WI Soccer Dad Member

May 2, 2022
    It's all starting to add up now. I know the family of the new GK. They live 7 minutes away from me and our kids have played with and against each other since they were 10. She's good no doubt, but obviously not in the same league as the 08.

They're reasons for joining was Wave didn't have a dedicated GK coach last year and her GK specific training was sporadic at best, and now she gets to work with the Midwest GK guru who is incredibly popular nightly.

5. gumballhead

gumballhead New Member

FCC
    United States
    Jun 3, 2024
    The 2009 GA GK for FCU moved across country, was leaving anyways

6. gumballhead

gumballhead New Member

FCC
    United States
    Jun 3, 2024
    WI Soccer Dad likes to stir sh#t up. Posting about other peoples kids and playing time. What foes that add? maybe you are actually wi soccer mom

WI Soccer Dad repped this.
  7. Soccer_willow

Soccer_willow Member

Southampton
    United States
    Jun 7, 2023
    Sounds like you’re taking it pretty personally. There’s probably a lot of women that also don’t appreciate the dig you just made at them. But I’m sure you’re the type of person who sees the wrong in everyone else but never looks in the mirror.

soccergissmo repped this.
  8. WiscoSoccer

WiscoSoccer New Member

Mar 13, 2024
    Can we not make comments like this? It's gross. Do better!

I'm not defending or agreeing with person's commentary or rumors here but let's not refer to people as female when it's intended as an insult. In this context it's imperative since you're talking about young female athletes- think about the message you're sending them when you say things like that.

9. BPatty

BPatty New Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 19, 2023
    In general, I'm finding this thread to be mostly gossip, negative and unproductive for any soccer community.

smontrose repped this.
  10. SouthwestSoccer107

Fire
    United States
    Oct 15, 2023
    Some gossip, also many true stories as well, at least from the individuals posting perspectives. There are similar threads for other states, many much worse.

clubs and some parents don’t want “dirty laundry“ aired. However some people many want to vent or at least share their personal experiences to let others make their own decisions.

Soccer_willow repped this.
  11. RedsSupporterNWA

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 9, 2022
    We have talked for years about what platform or local team is better than the other. Now that the recruiting season for the 2026 class is in high gear, I wonder how it is going for the local ECNL and GA teams?

12. Soccer_willow

Soccer_willow Member

Southampton
    United States
    Jun 7, 2023
    I think I have seen one Eclipse player, two Galaxy, and one Rockford. I’m sure there are more that I’m mossing, but those are the ones I have seen posted on social media so far.

13. SoccerLife5

SoccerLife5 Member

France
    United States
    Jul 26, 2023
    Same. Galaxy and Rockford GKs going P4- I think everyone saw that coming for both of them. Eclipse player at Pitt and next Galaxy player at Marquette. Honestly can’t think of any other 2026s from this area……

RedsSupporterNWA repped this.
  14. RedsSupporterNWA

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 9, 2022
    Any predictions:
    1) which team will have most Power 4 kids?
    2) which most d1
    3) which has most college players at any level (still all absolute studs!!!!)

15. gumballhead

gumballhead New Member

FCC
    United States
    Jun 3, 2024

Sharing your opinion of a club you have been part of is one thing. Talking about a current seasons drama in the pre season on other teams you are not part of is a whole nother level.

A. Not your kid/club
    B. What is your motive?
    C. It is pre season and everyone deserves evaluation. be better

as far as my comments about him/her being whatever gender they are i am sorry i inferred woman gossip more than men and it hit home for some of you

16. SoccerLife5

SoccerLife5 Member

France
    United States
    Jul 26, 2023
    I’ll go out on a limb and say for D1:
    1. Eclipse
    2. Galaxy
    3. FCU
    4. Inter
    5. Rockford

Galaxy only gets this high of a spot because of how good the 08 team is, but historically, the other clubs mentioned seem to be better at placing girls. I would not be surprised if every girl on the Galaxy 08 team goes D1. Maybe Eclipse also. I’m not sure either, which girls are ‘26 or ‘27.

P4 is so hard to gauge. I’ve seen a number of girls from Eclipse have P4 abilities but they choose Ivy League. There was a Galaxy keeper my daughter’s age (04) that had plenty of D1 offers but did a high academic D3.

17. SouthwestSoccer107

Fire
    United States
    Oct 15, 2023
    I agree with your rankings for the 2008 class D1 commits. The Power 4 offers will definitely be interesting, especially with the new roster limitations.

For the GA teams the main hurdle for high level offers will be the competition they face, which I believe college coaches will continue to take notice of. I’m not looking to debate this yet again, nor am I suggesting that there aren’t good GA teams or clubs.

I have simply noticed Inter posting some fairly large one-sided victories against SC Wave, Sockers and NorthShore. Also Rockford as well. Although those two clubs have certainly added more talented players the last two years, I am not sure that alone justifies such significant goal differentials just yet.

18. SoccerLife5

SoccerLife5 Member

France
    United States
    Jul 26, 2023
    I was once someone who argued that GA and ECNL were on a par, but with the mass exodus of quality teams leaving the GA this summer, the GA is in trouble.

It’s hard to say if the GA teams will struggle with high placement P4. FCU has placed girls highly for a few years now and I don’t see that stopping soon. So maybe Galaxy won’t have problems. With the Big 10 being huge and heavy Midwest, I can see lots of girls from our area heading there.

SouthwestSoccer107 repped this.
  19. justlearning

justlearning New Member

Mar 18, 2019
    Where did you see the scores posted? I’m curious to see how these crossover games went. Can you point me in the right direction?

Also, I think it is hard to compare these 5 clubs as there are talented girls everywhere and you don’t know what the individual players goals are. Not everyone wants the P4 environment but that doesn’t make them any lesser of a player. If the class of ‘26 is like the class of ‘25, I’d say that FCU should be ranked higher.

20. Soccer_willow

Soccer_willow Member

Southampton
    United States
    Jun 7, 2023
    A lot of the individual teams have Twitter and Instagram accounts where they post the scores and the players post as well.

21. RedsSupporterNWA

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 9, 2022
    I can't remember who told me this, but could it be true that half the starters on the Galaxy 08 team are 2027's? That would be nuts! When you look at the team pages for Hawks or Nationals the majority of the kids are 2026's with 1 or 2 2027's.

22. RedsSupporterNWA

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 9, 2022
    Another Eclipse kid committed (Michigan State.)

23. SouthwestSoccer107

Fire
    United States
    Oct 15, 2023
    Team pages on Social Media, typically Instagram. Most clubs have them and then many age groups run their own pages. Most give score updates throughout the year, and sometimes who scored, assists, etc… Information on friendly matches is less consistent, but some age groups posted results.

24. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    #7674 VolklP19, Aug 26, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2024
    Yeah I am sure you have taken the time to read the entire thread...

I remember when a few of us stated that the DA was done and a DA coach here argued with us... Hours later...

This thread came out of the Magic vs Sockers (5 threads). Those were most certainly infused with many opinions and arguments that were hard to follow unless your kid played at those clubs and you knew. Magic paying for kids to come play in the States and then forgeting to register them for school. sure sounds wild, but it happened.

Coaches abusing players for decades and parents allowing it to happen was a discussion for years here that led to a federal investigation that saw multiple Pro coaches ousted and a local Chicago coach who was at the center of what was brought up in this thread MANY times removed from his position.

The DA vs ECNL vs GA conversations that included clubs and coaches have been very informative to parents who have top level players in terms of helping them to navigate those environments/clubs.

I understand if you have a newer player (younger) and this may not be relative to your experience. But that does not translate to this thread being what you think it is at all.

25. WI Soccer Dad

WI Soccer Dad Member

May 2, 2022
    Recruiting right now is ramping up. But it's still very cautious for the 26s.

The NCAA lawsuit has thrown things into a bit of a lull because there is SO MUCH that is unknown.

Indy Premier has started off great with their recruiting and that's even with the unknown. Galaxy has had a few if I remember right.

But I really lucked out with a 27, because the 25s are going through some things right now. And the 26s are waiting and holding.