Best Striker At Their Prime?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Bavarian14, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Isaías Silva Serafim

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Dec 2, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Boniface have a higher goal contribution % than Kane and his team is the leader of Bundesliga. I'm not trying to discredit Kane. I'm just saying there are at least 2 players in his position who are as good as they were this season. Given the context of the teams they play for

2. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Very weird way to judge a player..

"Given the context"

Boniface plays for the team that has 15 wins and 1 draw this season. Advanced data dont put Boniface in convo with Kane and Guirassy.

So unless Boniface has some all time great passing game and game intelligence that i am not aware of, he is not close to them.

3. Isaías Silva Serafim

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Dec 2, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yes, and Boniface played a big role on that 15 wins and 1 draw. In fact, he is the clear standout player in this Leverkusen. The same cannot be said of Kane at Bayern, which is a team that scores more goals and has Sané (at least for me) as its best player.

4. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    This is kind of pointless conversation. If Boniface is the clear stand out player in the team that is tearing apart this season than surely Boniface has a major argument for being the best player in the world..

Anyhow to say there is one clear stand out player in that bayer is silly. Wirtz is currently one of the hottest prospects in the world and Bayer has many players in form, but okay. Doesnt matter

5. Isaías Silva Serafim

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Dec 2, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

van Dijk is maybe the best defender in the world in the current season

Thoughts @PuckVanHeel ?

6. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My concern with Guirassy is that he's a Grafite, with all due respect. I think there is a difference between form and class here.

Isaías Silva Serafim repped this.
  7. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  8. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    What would be a public opinion of Kane if he had played for Bayern like team for past 3, 4 years..

Which other players had been underapreciated for the same reason..

Which other players have been overvalued because they had it easier to register goals and assists..

9. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Given he is 27 years old quite likely is just a form, but still, the level of form in front of goal that he has been in is something few players in history have experienced.. remarkable either way.

10. Isaías Silva Serafim

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Dec 2, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Florian Wirtz is a midfielder, 20 years old and is tied with Lautaro and Sané who are in the form of their lives and are forwards. Incredible

He is the player with the most G/A (6) in the Europa League and also the player with the most chances created (11).

Among the top 7 European leagues + Champions + Europa League he is the player with the most assists (16) in 2023. In this same timeframe he is the only player to complete 80+ dribbles and create 80+ chances. In this case, there are 109 dribbles completed and 100 chances created in 2023

Sexy Beast repped this.
  11. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I can only go by Youtube videos (which only tend to show the good moments of course) but I'm wondering whether he might be the best dribbler in the world right now (as well as whether if the top two were Germans, him and Musiala, it'd be the first time in history that was the case - perhaps technically when Maradona wasn't playing much at all in early, towards mid (but before Rummenigge had injury/fitness issues which were present during the World Cup), 1982 there'd be a case for Littbarski and Karl-Heinz Rummenigge....although what about the returned Cruyff at Ajax for example?....).

He seems to be very good in terms of football intelligence/instinct, and playing good short range passes very accurately too.

12. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I am telling you. He is a pure baller. One of the most talented players in terms of those intangible parameters of magic of a generation. Hopefully he doesnt have serious injuries.

13. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Centrally, maybe. Out wide, I think I would still take someone like Leao or Doku.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  14. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Perhaps yes. Overall I guess you could even make a case for Doku too, but Wirtz seems to be able to drift past players, as well as having a slightly Messi-esque quick dribble style, and he does have some good feints and twists when he gets in wide positions too.

Factoring in pace and directness then Doku would be more of an asset playing from a wide attacking position in general, in terms of going past players in one way or another and delivering the ball into the box, I would think though indeed.

15. Isaías Silva Serafim

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Dec 2, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Kane scored 17 goals in his first 11 Bundesliga games
    By comparison, Lewandowski scored 16 goals in his first 11 Bundesliga games in the 19/20 season and 17 goals in the 20/21 season when he broke Gerd Müller's goalscoring record. Will Kane break that record now?

16. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's difficult to see Kane sustaining this clip in a lower level Bayern team, but then again, maybe Bundesliga is easier to score in nowe as well, maybe? Haven't looked too close into it.

17. Al Gabiru

Al Gabiru Member

Jan 28, 2020
    It's just an opinion, of course. but I said it before Kane went to Bayern. I still think this Bayern team is a paradise for strikers, which makes Lewa's performance less impressive. I think if Suarez, Salah or another great striker had played there, they would have had impressive numbers too and one or two ballon d'or

18. Isaías Silva Serafim

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Dec 2, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Best CB of the season so far?

19. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    Probably, but God I find these stats useless (not aimed at you). How much of these even remotely capture true defensive perfotmance parameters. Odds are very low they do...

20. Al Gabiru

Al Gabiru Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Reinaldo was a great center-forward, but he lost his place in the starting line-up at the 1978 World Cup to Roberto Dinamite. He was completely healthy, according to reports at the time (later the players told stories that they didn't play because they were injured). at the time it was said that Reinaldo's technical style didn't suit Argentina's poor pitches (not because of injuries). And he's been in the Brazilian league team of the year twice (he's never been mvp).

But it's true that he was Romário's idol and he has great respect from colleagues who played with him. Reianldo is always remembered as a very skillful player. It's another case of potential with great ability not being confirmed, but not only because of injuries.

21. Runnec

Runnec Member

Deportivo La Coruña
    Spain
    Dec 4, 2023
    I thought i would give my take on this.

The best Strikers in their Peak year/season (Not in Order):
    Romario: 2000
    Ronaldo Nazario: 1996/97
    Gerd Muller: 1971/72
    Sandor Kocsis: 1954
    Marco Van Basten: 1986/87
    Robert Lewandowski: 2019/20
    Luis Suarez: 2015/16
    Thierry Henry: 2002/03
    Gunnar Nordahl: 1949/50
    Karl-Heinz Rumminigge: 1978/79
    Uwe Seeler: 1959/60
    Josef Bican: 1943/44
    Leonidas Da Silva: 1940
    Jimmy Greaves: 1960/61
    Dixie Dean: 1927/28
    Gabriel Batistuta: 1994/95
    Silvio Piola: 1942/43
    Andrei Shevchenko: 2001/02
    Arsenio Erico: 1937
    Jurgen Klinsmann: 1995/96
    Denis Law: 1963/64
    Ruud Van Nistelrooy: 2002/03
    Hugo Sanchez: 1989/90
    Jean Pierre-Papin: 1991/92
    George Weah: 1994/95
    Imre Schlosser: 1910/11
    Just Fontaine: 1957/58
    Arthur Friedenreich: 1919
    Samuel Eto'o: 2010/11
    Gary Lineker: 1985/86
    Rudi Voller: 1982/83
    Telmo Zarra: 1950/51
    Alberto Spencer: 1961
    Luis Artime: 1971
    Didier Drogba: 2009/10
    Alan Shearer: 1994/95
    Sergio Aguero: 2011/12
    Wayne Rooney: 2013/14
    Harry Kane: 2017/18

22. Isaías Silva Serafim

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Dec 2, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Squawka challenged X users to find a CB who beats VVD in the comparison matrix. So far he is undefeated

23. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This was uploaded not so long ago
    17 minutes in length

@Isaías Silva Serafim

to my knowledge the longest compilation focusing solely on his passing abilities

24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    For me, he’s the best I have seen