Best Striker At Their Prime?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Bavarian14, Dec 27, 2018.

1. OffTheBallMovement

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Jul 18, 2023
    Careca had 11 games against Baresi/Maldini and he scored only in 4 of them. He had only one game against Sciera and scored on that game. He also had 13 games against Bergomi and only scored in 7 of them. He also had 14 games against Vierchowod and only scored in 2 of them. So overall he had 39 games and scored only in 14 against the players you mentioned. This is 35.89% not "more than 85%" as you said. What's more, Romário had 5 games against Maldini and scored in 2 of them so he scored in 40% of the matches he faced him. This is above the average of careca against the players you mentioned.

Regarding Reinaldo being more "skillful, goalscorer, talented and lethal" than Ronaldo It's very difficult for you to say that for sure. He has not been tested against the best defenders in the world like Ronaldo. In the eyetest Ronaldo also seems more skillful/talented, at least to me

2. moodiomemo

moodiomemo Member

sao paulo fc
    Jul 15, 2007
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ahhaaa
    Very typical your generation (YouTube generation) spread numbers when do not have enough speech to prove what you wrote based in the fact you dont have age enough to see Reinaldo careca and Fat Ronaldo plays as me
    I saw the 3 play and im sure you dont follow Reinaldo and careca career(i believe only in YouTube )
    Based in your information you probably missed National matches because 11 matches against Baresi and Maldini and 13 against bergomi in almost 5 yrs in italian league with italian Cup ,italian Championships,italian supercup ,etc and National matches ...Theres something wrong
    When you wrote - Reinaldo and careca not tested 4 real because they only faced weak Defenders
    You probably have in your family somebody with 50,60 yrs old - uncle , brother,grandpa - or If not you know a person closed to you with this age
    Ask to these guys about Reinaldo and careca
    Reinaldo with 16 yrs old faced Brito (Brasil 1970) ,Piazza , baldocchi ALL Defenders Brazilian National team level(i missed Luis Pereira ,Roberto dias , Amaral,Oscar ,etc)
    Mauro Galvão (a weak defender ) told Reinaldo was the thoughest opponent he faced
    If It not surprise you Reinaldo plays libertadores and plays against all great south american Defenders - Passarella ,chumpi , de Leon, Ancheta ,Figueroa , Dario pereyra(me!!)
    If still not enough to you he faced tresor , Jean Pierre Adams ,janvion , Rijkaard ,Koeman , etc etc etc in National team matches and atlético trips through europe
    ALL these Defenders i mention here ALL weak Defenders and not good enough probably to a generation which dont have Idea How tresor and Figueroa was good players
    In your opinion- a Brazilian real.madrid fan-
    Puyol must be a Wonderfull defender and one of the best of All time( as van djik and vidic!!!) and 100% better for example as don Elias. Figueroa
    I do not bullying you and thats not my intention but do not understand wrong what i wrote here Someday ill have my age (53 ,54 till the end of this year) and one day you Will feel the same situation here when a Young guy Wil Tell you that Birmânia midfielder is 1000% superior than xavi/Iniesta togheter
    Your explanation its not true (faced weak Defenders and not tested 4 real)

3. OffTheBallMovement

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Jul 18, 2023
    It's true that I didn't see Careca and Reinaldo play live but that's not why I'm going to go out believing everything the elders tell me. Furthermore, common sense (including older people) seems to agree that Careca and Reinaldo are not the top 5 strikers in history. So if the majority agrees with me and what I saw from the footage Reinaldo does not seem to be superior to Ronaldo Fenômeno, then it is up to you to bring evidence and prove the opposite.

What's more, dx84tech.com seems to agree with me also

I took these numbers from ogol.com.br and yes, this is including all matches at club and NT.

That's not what I said. I said that only Reinaldo has not been tested against the best defenders in the world. This is not the case with Careca, who played in the Italian Serie A and was tested against the players you mentioned previously.

I did a research on ogol and what I found were this:
    Reinaldo only had 1 game against Figueroa and he didn't scored in that game.
    He never played against Brito.
    Reinaldo scored 3 goals in 8 games against Piazza.
    Reinaldo never played against Baldochi.
    He played 5 games against Luis Pereira and scored 0 goals.
    He never faced Roberto Dias.
    He never faced Amaral.
    He played 1 game against Oscar and didn't scored.
    He played 7 games against Mauro Galvão (a weak defender according to you) and only scored 2 goals.
    He never faced Passarella.
    He played 2 games against Chumpi and scored 2 goals.
    4 games against de Leon, 1 goal.
    2 games against Ancheta 0 goals.
    1 game against Marius Tresor 1 goal.
    Never faced Jean Pierre Adams.
    1 game 1 goal against Janvion.
    0 games against Rijkaard and Koeman.

So according to the data provided by ogol.com.br , Reinaldo never faced half the players you mentioned and the ones he faced, he scored 10 goals in 32 games so this is an "own goal" argument because when he faced good defenders he were an average goalscorer.

For instance, I have Passarella and Figueroa very high on my all time list of defenders alongside Baresi, Scirea, Mauro Ramos, etc...

4. moodiomemo

moodiomemo Member

sao paulo fc
    Jul 15, 2007
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #1179 moodiomemo, Sep 28, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
    Its very natural when we young(dont trust in the oldest generation)
    I did the same when i had your age
    When i grew up here in Brazil they used to tell a lot of football hilarious histories
    For example ill mention 2
    Theres a tale here with Oberdan Catani - palmeiras goalkeeper
    They used to tell Oberdan when he will stop penalty kicks he use only one of his big hands to stop the kick
    The other is with Lara- gremio goalkeeper 1920 decade
    They used to tell lara stop a penalty kick and he DIE after this
    Some of these histories i realize with time was a lie
    Others i realize was true - when they told about Pele, Canhoteiro , Garrincha, Zizinho, Leonidas, etc

Its not necessary
    Careca is one of the greatest of napoli , sao paulo and guarani
    If brazil had lucky in 1986 he was in the same situation as romario in 1994
    Reinaldo is the all time and biggest player of atletico and one of the greatest names in brazil and south america in the 70s and 80s
    Enough?
    Numbers cannot destroy legacy
    With all these modernity , facility and numbers Messi NEVER WILL BE BIGGER THAN PELE AND MARADONA

I dont trust in these kind of source
    All these kind of "internet sofascore" have some wrong information and not complete
    Brito for example plays in botafogo , flamengo, cruzeiro, corinthians etc
    Baldocchi plays in palmeiras corinthians fortaleza
    Amaral plays in guarani corinthians santos and in mexico
    Figueroa plays in palestino, colo colo , internacional, fort lauderdale strikers, in chile small clubs, etc
    Check this out what i posted to you in the end of the message

Again
    this is not true
    When i mention mauro galvao i was kidding with u
    he was a great defender

5. moodiomemo

moodiomemo Member

sao paulo fc
    Jul 15, 2007
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    A example below
    against rijakard and koeman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OffTheBallMovement repped this.
  6. moodiomemo

moodiomemo Member

sao paulo fc
    Jul 15, 2007
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    against amaral(2 kind sources different)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

reinaldo faced amaral and scored
    different than information you put here
    My tip - do not trust anymore these kind of sofascore

OffTheBallMovement repped this.
  7. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Kane has a horrfying time for Bayern as expected.

14 goals (4 pens) and 7 assists in 13 games.

And he is actually not even at his best.

Now people will talk about peak Kane. A breakthrough season and whatnot..

lessthanjake repped this.
  8. Al Gabiru

Al Gabiru Member

Jan 28, 2020
    #1183 Al Gabiru, Oct 28, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2023
    I think Kane may never get Lewa's recognition, but it's impossible to rule that out as he continues to play and can win many titles, but today's Bayern seem to be less dominant than Lewa's Bayern. However, I think Kane is much more skilled than Lewa, capable of leaving the area and building plays, at this point Lewa is severely overestimated. His many individual and collective titles, and goal records, hide a player who has the characteristics of more of a pusher, a little more refined than Haaland, but inferior to other strikers who were not Ballon d'or due to some circumstances (Suarez, Ibra, Henry, Eto'o, Drogba, Rooney, Aguero; all were more technically refined than Lewa. They all have much higher numbers of assists/key passes/through balls/long balls/dribbles than Lewa, but they played in a much inferior team to ten-time Bundesliga champions Bayern).

But then it's another debate about bigger vs better.

9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Give Kane a couple of years to have a go. Bayern have a chance in Europe and should win the league and cups etc

10. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    You are going to the other extreme now.. no version of Kane scores 41 goals in 29 games for Bayern or 15 goals in 10 ucl games.

All of these guys would have a hard time to come close to Lewa's numbers. Lewa is better (pure, "penalty box") goalscorer than all of them, by far in the case of few. Aguero never registered a lot of assists as well so your examples are very weird and inconsistent (not sure for Eto'o).

Also as recently pointed out, Lewa is very solid in terms of general play. He is not super dynamic and invovled, but does the job well.

Lewa is a big part of that domination so your point is kind of self-defeating.

11. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Exactly, Kane wasn't good enough to play for an elite before now, don't you know? :laugh:

12. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Pretty much only Suarez in that era can match Lewandowski's box domination. In the current era, it would be Haaland of course. Kane skins the cat in his own way.

Also I strongly believe Eto'o would have ridiculous numbers in this era.

13. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    For some reason it sounds wrong to call Suarez dominant in penalty box, but I understand what you mean.

Also I got the similar impression of Eto'o.

14. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not even his peak
    FB_IMG_1699252171592.jpg

15. ffff15

ffff15 Member

Argentina
    Sep 29, 2021
    Stat padding in bundesliga in dominant Bayern doesn't matter

16. Al Gabiru

Al Gabiru Member

Jan 28, 2020
    #1191 Al Gabiru, Nov 6, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2023
    Yeah, Lewa is one of the greatest pushers in history and maybe that's what Bayern needed with so many good midfielders and forwards. But pushers depend on the team to make plays for them. So, Lewa had the ideal situation, a great pusher on a dominant team. Just like Haaland now at City

But we have to differentiate a pusher, like Lewa and Haaland, from more all-around attackers (Suarez, Ibra, Henry, Eto'o, Drogba, Rooney, Aguero). The diversity of passes, dribbles and goals from outside the area of these forwards mentioned are much higher than that of Lewa and Haaland. It doesn't mean that Lewa and Haaland don't know how to play football. They're solid outside the box, as you say, but considerably below than those mentioned. They just have a more inside the box style than the others, which makes them more dependent on the team they are on.

I don't know if the all-around strikers wouldn't have great numbers for Bayern. Kane is having it so far. It's a guess. We'll never know. They are more skilled, as the numbers show, and have a style that I like more.

17. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    #1192 Sexy Beast, Nov 6, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2023
    I essentially agree that players with more limited role in theory depend more on their team than players with greater role by mere definition but this is not necessarily such a bad thing and this logic can be extended further saying all around attackers are not as good as for example Lampard who had an even greater role in his teams than them, but that doesnt automatically make Lampard better than Henry, Suarez, etc.

Doing more of different things doesnt automatically make you more valuable than someone who does a lot of the same thing.

Often quite contrary, taking on a greater role with more responsibilities on the pitch stretches you too thin and ultimately results in a worse performance.

There is a huge value in staying in your lane and letting teammates to do their job. It results in a more organized team with clearer roles. Looking at the best teams in history, they are often just like that, well organized teams in which everyone knows and stick to their role.

For that reason it is very difficult to look at players in isolation in a team sport.

Argument would be very valid if Lewa (i am not putting Lewa and Haaland in the same context) had a very peculiar, limited role that worked only in few systems, but since he is a penalty box goalscorer, which is universally needed role, it is fine.

Ultimately, it is about how much value you bring to the team and you can be just as valuable by doing limited role exceptionally well as doing more things on a very good level.

And sometimes having a more limited role allows your teammates to shine as well, which is not the case for player who like to be ever-present like Neymar. Individually Neymar does more but it can come at the cost of performance of his teammates so at the end, team is not better of even tho they have an individual who has a big role.

Neymar is an extreme example to highlight the point, but in more nuance, it can be applied to comparison of Lewa and someone else.

Edit:

So more limited role such a penalty box goalscorer can be inadequate in a team that struggles and needs you to do more, but more limited role is collectively better if you play in a team that has other great players because it allows all of them to shine. For example, Barca was better of when Neymar was still up and coming star in 2015 and had a limited role than in subsequent years when he took on more responsibilities.

Isaías Silva Serafim repped this.
  18. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It meant something when Lewandowski did it, so it should mean something when Kane does it now.

19. ffff15

ffff15 Member

Argentina
    Sep 29, 2021
    I don't rate Lewa aswell

20. Isaías Silva Serafim

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Dec 2, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I agree but Lewa did that in the Champions League too. Let's see how Kane performs in the later stages

21. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    How is that stat padding exactly? They are 2nd in the league. They've should of not win Bundesliga last season if it weren't for incredible luck on their side.

They had no one else who could score a lot of goals last season so it is not easy. Gnabry was their top scorer with 14 goals in the league.

Haaland is stat padding in epl, Mbappe in ligue 1.

Bellingham is stat padding in weak la liga like Messi and Ronaldo used to do.

Let's discredit everyone. Everyone stat padds.

Isaías Silva Serafim and MT-123 repped this.
  22. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Definitely. I was merely arguing that doing this well in the domestic league is not meaningless.

23. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    True. This Bayern is no where near as good as the 2012-2020 dynasty.

24. Isaías Silva Serafim

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Dec 2, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ronaldo stat padded in the UCL and so on... To be fair in Kane's position (CF) there are 2 players as good or better in the Bundesliga. Guirassy and Boniface. Sané is Bayern's best player imo

25. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I get Guirassy and it is true, but Boniface is incomparable to both of them.. and honestly, Guirassy is in form of his life that only few players ever reach. It is unbelievable what he has been doing.

So it is not like "oh there is someone else as good or better than Kane and he is a no-name Guirassy so we can discredit Kane's effort" because what Guirassy is doing is really unprecedented. There can be two great players in the same place at the same time.

Have no comment on Sane.. Kane seems to be the best from the outside but who knows.