Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Eagle Football Holdings is supposedly preparing a $20m offer for Thiago Almada, with the idea of placing him in either Lyon or Crystal Palace.

There are also talks of him having a stint in Botafogo (also owned by the same group) before making the final jump to Europe

Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  2. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This holding company nonsense needs to be looked at by FIFA. It's just so that super rich clubs like Chelsea can stockpile players at other clubs so that they do not incur domestic penalties. They already have an absurd number of youth players that they often pinch from other English clubs lower down in the pyramid. Which is why you see so many of their players being shuffled out on loan.

In the case of Anselmino they want to send him to Strasbourg which is effectively nothing more than a farm club. Crystal Palace's new investors have the same idea. It's appalling and makes a large number of clubs poorer while enriching a few. Chelsea will make a fortune on selling their stockpile of youth.

FFP also benefits these clubs due to the wealth of the owner whereas clubs like Aston Villa are having to shuffle youth players in and out to stay within the confines of FFP while ensuring they can hold onto Emi Martinez and Watkins for instance.

Boca also should look at themselves. 12-15M release clause. Absurdly low for a CB who is so comfortable on the ball. Whereas yet another Brazilian youngster is going for almost double that.

Burr, locoxriver and SupaMario repped this.
  3. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Jesus wept, do they all go to the same barber?

4. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Watching this, I am so glad for RDP. He helped bridge the gap between the older generation and the younger generation. I remember a story where RDP helped brake the ice between Messi and Molina playing Trucos and I'm sure that helped built that Family atmosphere that the national team has.

Christina99 and Burr repped this.
  5. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    what a fcking cash grab

johnbarley2 repped this.
  6. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    RDP is underrated. He is our guy to go after referees all the time, he builds the chemistry of the group, he was the one that got close to Messi and integrate him to the group, and he is a pretty good player on top of that. Not the best player, of course, but integral to the champion team dynamics.

7. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Just an update, the 99 kit is not going to happen, at least for now. But 94 will. But again, who knows if it will be released strictly back home or if it’ll get a general release.

I personally love retro kits. I hope they release more of the seleccion ones. The 94 retro is a work of art.

8. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    RDP has been our 2nd most important player duing the Scaloni era, ahead of Di Maria who has has top moments but not been as influential as a whole. And I've been Di Maria's strongest supporter here since 2008.

9. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    Messi says RDP reminds him of Lavezzi - underrated player for Argentina.

soul24rage repped this.
  10. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Di Maria has scored more than 10 goals since Scaloni took charge. People forgot that he actually assisted Messi's goal againts Mexico. He also recently surpassed Diego as second top assister for Argentina.

However, I do notice that since 2023, whenever Messi isnt playing , ADM usually shines. We've seen that in qualifier & friendlies. I guess due to age you just cant starts them together these days.

Albiceleste2010 and johnbarley2 repped this.
  11. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    You can make a strong case for Di Maria. IMO it's RDP who has been influential in just about every match. Except the horror early in the WC. No other midfielder could do the work he's done covering Messi's flank. Unfortunately he's not as good as he was a few years ago but still the heart of the team.

Agree about Di Maria and Messi.

12. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Dibu Martinez has to be the 2nd more important player for me. Besides the very important saves, he brought stability to the defense and clutchness in the defense. 1 injury to him and we'll probably be shaky at the back.

13. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    How about Cuti? It could also be argued that he was the most important. He completely revolutionized the defense and gave us solidity we hadn't seen in an eternity. If he wasn't there, all of the above mentioned players' contributions may have not even mattered as I don't think we would have won everything we won with a different CB (imagine we would have had a Rojo, Fazio, or Pezzella starting in his place)

But yes, one could make the case for RDP, Di Maria, and Dibu.. that's just how crazy good this entire team is.

14. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Right, so we're all agreed the second most important player, after Messi, for the NT is RDP, Dibu, Di Maria and Cuti :D:ROFLMAO:

15. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Enzo and Mac were crucial to our world cup win

Mac Attack and soul24rage repped this.
  16. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Speaking of contribution , you forgot all of our posts on this board. We all know one of Scaloni's man is lurking all the time:whistling::ninja::D

17. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We have an extremely strong spine. Dibu-Cuti-RdP-Messi which is what every successful team has. We never had such a strong keeper and CB for years or a midfielder that works so hard. Compare RdP to the likes of Banega, Biglia and others who were content to float around for much of the matches they played.

Talent alone does not win matches. It requires a lot of work off the ball.

johnbarley2, afar, SupaMario and 5 others repped this.
  18. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Let’s take a trip through memory lane, shall we….

:D

megamac20817, locoxriver and Burr repped this.
  19. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Blimey Mario, have you got a lot of time on your hands :)

afar repped this.
  20. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I’m just petty and as @locoxriver once said, “We never forget what is said on this board.” Indeed, we keep the receipts and sooner or later, we cash them out. :ROFLMAO:

Now, a formal apology will be sufficient. :D

locoxriver repped this.
  21. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lol, these days I struggle to remember my own name, never mind anything else. But I formally apologise for my previous comments :D

johnbarley2, locoxriver and SupaMario repped this.
  22. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sorry but Di Maria is a LEGEND. Not only our 2nd most important player in the Messi era, but a top 5 argentinian of all time. LEGEND. We wouldnt have won anything without Fideo:inlove:.

Albiceleste2010 and DrScorpio repped this.
  23. DrScorpio

DrScorpio Member

San Lorenzo
    Argentina
    Jan 6, 2022
    Definitely top 5
    Maradona/Messi
    Kempes
    Passarella/Di Maria

24. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Diego/Messi
    DiStefano
    Batistuta
    Kempes
    DiMaria

- and let's not get crazy because I only have DiMaria 6th. Think about how many player's we've had!!! It's an honor to break into the top 10 of Argentinean all time list!! I am living out Omar Sivori, Passarella, El Pato Filliol, Angel Labruna (a POS when he was a manager), Zanetti, Ayala, Rattin, and on and on and on.

After Diego/Messi, DiStefano, Bati and Kempes seems right to me.

25. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    “Best players of all time” lists are easy and boring.. lets spice it up and make things more interesting: who are your bottom 5 NT players of all time? :devilish:

johnbarley2 and soul24rage repped this.