PBP: 2024 Copa America Opponent's Watch.

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Jun 5, 2024.

1. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A good coach should be a psychologist too

Ghost repped this.
  2. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    If I'm reading the tiebreakers correctly, then the significant Uruguay goals for the US are the odd number goals.

1-0
    3-0
    5-0

Because the even number goals haven't changed the odds for the US. But each 2 goals could make the final day tougher, even if the US does open a lead on Uruguay.

3. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5-0...That's what I am talking about...a blowout...We literally have no chance against Uruguay if they start their A team. Best case scenario is we tie Uruguay and Panama ties Bolivia.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Uruguay A is probably about the #5 NT in the planet right now. Elo has them as #6 behind Brazil, but they're better than Brazil right now. Only Argentina, France, Spain and maybe Colombia are stronger (Elo agrees).

dna77054 and DGreat repped this.
  5. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA vs Uruguay is gonna be a mauling. I don't see how the USA doesn't concede at least 3 if they're gonna play this poorly.

6. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    A psychologist and a sociologist and a psychiatrist and a physiologist and Mom and Dad and a whole lot of other things. People do not understand just how complicated it is to be a good soccer coach.
    And of course those skills must be added to when you get away from the team itself. You have got to be able to deal effectively deal with management and, above a certain level, press and fans.
    It ain't easy folks.
    I guess that is why there are so few really good coaches.
    I consider myself a pretty good coach at middle level youth teams but I do lack in several of those categories but I would never try to coach at higher levels.
    The job is NOT just to coach.

BTW: the match is over 5-0 and that means we do not have any real chance to catch Uruguay and if Panama really takes it to Bolivia which is what I expect, then even goals enough to catch them or Uruguay will be near impossible.

7. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well if they play as badly as tonight then neither Uruguay and Panama need worry. Playing this badly and we could not beat a good high school team.
    Of course that was a rather overstated observation but the USA looks likely to have two losses in a group for the first time in a very log time.

8. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    The most likely scenario for the USA to advance is a USA draw against Uruguay’s B Team and a Panama Bolivia draw, in my opinion.

kennytt repped this.
  9. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it is that will simplify any decisions that need to be made.

10. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kennytt and Marius Tresor repped this.
  11. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some sources says “repeatedly late”.
    https://amp.foxsports.com/stories/s...oni-suspended-one-match-being-repeatedly-late

gomichigan24 repped this.
  12. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Watching Costa Rica vs Colombia and CR looks like they are so afraid to play that they are nearly paralyzed.

So far no goals but Colombia looks like the only team able to score. It is doubtful that CR gets more than 3 or 4 shots and, probably, fewer than 3 on goal and 0 that will trouble the Colombian 'keeper.

But it is still early so things can change.

BTW: CR is playing dirty. They look unlikely to end the match with 11 even with what appears to be a VERY lenient referee.

13. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    CR's dirty play has hurt them as Colombia got a PK and scored.
    CR may find that they made a mistake by playing dirty. Colombia is bigger and better at dirty play than CR could ever hope to be.

14. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We are at minute 56 and CR looks worse than they did at the start. They are about to make Colombia angry and that does not bode well for CR. But this is soccer and Colombia has not scored their 2nd so you never know.
    I suspect CR is going to fold soon.

15. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Now it goes to 2-0 as CR turns people loose in the box for a corner. and CR's goalkeeper has to dig the ball from the back of his net.

16. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How bad are Brazil to not score on these guys (or beat us for that matter)?

17. gjackson2207

gjackson2207 Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  18. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone on this forum is scared at the name Brazil ……. The name…… not the product.

I cannot fathom how Columbia doesn’t run the table on this tournament. They’re the best team easily , snd thus Columbia team beats Brazil head to head 7 times out of 10 imo……. And 2 of those might be draws too round out 9 out of 10

19. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    How embarrassing is is it going to be if only 1 CONCACAF team makes the quarters?

20. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    And CR has stopped playing hard. This will end up pretty much as high scoring as Colombia wants it to be, They could stop now or drive it to 7 or 8. I think they should stop just to keep CR from breaking some legs.

21. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not at all CONCACAF is bovine crap and CONMEBOL is ground beef, They are not quite steak but they are solid ground beef.

22. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Match ends 3-0. It is not unexpected except for the fact that Columbia decided to be nice to Costa Rica.

23. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Brazil was looking a bit frustrated, were having trouble breaking Paraguay down, missed a PK, but then scored a beautiful goal. We'll see if the rout is on now.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I like how Colombia have been using James as a nominal right forward in 433 who basically plays as a cam. He's also looked in great shape, which hadn't been the case for him in other tournaments.

25. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I doubt it will be a rout. Brazil is just too good at somehow screwing up the most promising attacks.