Thursday 6 June 2024

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Stuart95, Jun 6, 2024.

1. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today's name the badge:
    [​IMG]

2. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen that badge before, but for the life of me I can't remember which team. I know it's French, but that's as far as I can take it.

RafaLarios repped this.
  3. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ohio Athletic Conference, where my beloved Heidelberg Student Princes compete.

Doogh, RafaLarios, SetPeace and 2 others repped this.
  4. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Doogh, RafaLarios, Stuart95 and 3 others repped this.
  5. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suing over Messi playing or not playing a game seems like a lost cause. Although I'm not up on Canadian laws I can't imagine this being successful.

6. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    superdave repped this.
  7. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8 Bill Archer, Jun 6, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
    The case seems like a sure loser, but there's enough meat on it to at least make it interesting.

First of course there's the specific advertisements. What do they say and how do they say it? For example, if they were stupid enough to day "Come buy a ticket to see Messi" then I'd sweat it a bit, but if they just ran ads with a picture of Messi and invited you to come see Inter Miami, you've likely got some breathing room.

HOWEVER I think there's something else here, namely that said players were not held out because they were injured, a risk that a reasonable person accepts when they buy a ticket to a game.

Rather, they claimed that all three big stars auddenly needed rest, which is quite the coincidence.

I'd hate, for example, for discovery to demonstrate that in fact this "coincidence" was planned for weeks even months before. What with MLS being a single corporate entity, what Miami does behind closed doors is relevant. Vancouver can't claim innocence due to ignorance. In a situation like this, that won't wash.

Either way, there's another vulnerability, namely that the players were not held out because they were suddenly exhausted. Rather, and it was widely speculated at the time, the real reason they were left in Miami (where, incidentally, at least two of them were seen taking their kids to a water park on game day) because it's a seven hour flight each way in order to play on a pretty bad fake turf pitch which was designed for a CFL team.

If I were Miami, I wouldn't put my aging stars through 14 hours in the air to play on painted concrete either. )And honestly I'd fire whoever even scheduled that match; Miami to Vancouver might be the longest away game trip in world history, and since they're not in the same division it wasn't at all necessary.)

And if the plaintiff can show anything like that being even a part.of the consideration, then The Caps might have to make everyone whole.

And it's telling that they've been madly tossing around free food and free tickets ever since. It's usually considered an admission of guilt when you start in compensating people .

Like I said, it would be a surprise if the suit goes anywhere but stranger things have happened.

SetPeace and wantmlsphilly repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well at some point that trip would be necessary. Eventually (over multiple seasons) every team plays every team home and away.

And there is a longer road trip, or at least there was, when one of the Russian teams in/around Vladivostok has to play a Moscow team.

SetPeace and superdave repped this.
  9. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States