Match 32: POR : URU - FAGHANI (IRN)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2022 - Refereeing' started by balu, Nov 26, 2022.

?

What do you think of Faghani's performance?

Poll closed Nov 29, 2022.
  1. 1 (worst)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

5.3%
  4. 4

21.1%
  5. 5

42.1%
  6. 6

10.5%
  7. 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 8

15.8%
  9. 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 10 (best)

5.3%
  1. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Match #32
    Portugal : Uruguay
    Monday, 28 November 2022
    22:00 local time (14:00 EST)
    Lusail

Referee: Alireza FAGHANI (IRN)
    AR1: Mohammadreza Mansouri (IRN)
    AR2: Mohammadreza Abolfazli (IRN)
    Fourth Official: Abdulrahman Al-Jassim (QAT)
    Fifth Official: Saoud Almaqaleh (QAT)
    VAR: Abdullah Al-Marri (QAT)
    AVAR (1): Shaun Evans (AUS)
    Offside AVAR (2): Anton Shchetinin (AUS)
    Support AVAR (3): Redouane Jiyed (MAR)
    Stand-by Offside AVAR (4): Ashley Beecham (AUS)

2. Barc@4ever

Barc@4ever Member

Barcelona
    Jul 21, 2020
  3. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bumped. Right guy for this game. I expect it to be very spicy throughout given the teams and the individuals participating.

4. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    Correct yellow card early, 6th minute, but that credit mostly goes to Mansouri. Faghani in the first few minutes is too distant and has relied on his assistants (incl. Al-Jassim) for two different fouls.

5. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bentancur with a caution 6 minutes in. That one really felt like 1) Bentancur was sending a message and 2) Faghani and crew was waiting for something like that and was ready to pounce right away on it. I LOVE that caution. If you have any chance of these two teams actually settling down and playing soccer, you have to get a call like that one early.

6. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off topic - it takes a lot to overshadow how dumb the Adidas ref kit backpack stripes are, but these Puma change kits with the "Hello, my number is..." name tag on the front accomplishes that feat. I hope both Adidas and Puma rethink some design ideas for 2026 (assuming Adidas is still outfitting referees for 2026, as I remember some rumors that this may be the last World Cup for referees to wear Adidas kit).

JasonMa repped this.
  7. USSF REF

USSF REF Guest

39-40'

Taking excessive time before Uruguay FK in attacking 3rd.

Just way too long.

8. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    38' - fine with the yellow for Neves, but I think Faghani could've got away with just an AC here. IMO, it's not really SPA due to the number of Portuguese defenders in the area and more careless than reckless.

9. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just have to wonder if these long monologues have any impact whatsoever. I'm guessing the players just hear "something, something, don't hold, something, something" . . .

If you're going to say something, keep it quick. Kind of like I tell my kid before I drop him off at a friend's house to stay the night. He won't listen to a list of rules. I just tell him, "Have fun, don't do stupid stuff."

EDIT - Dumbass card of the night to Olivera for DR/FRD (take your pick) in 44'. WTF?? He has to think that no one is watching the kick as Faghani is running to the next phase of play.

10. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    44' Another good yellow from Faghani, this time for Failure to Respect the Distance.

11. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First FRD card ever given at a WC? Bravo, sir.

12. USSF REF

USSF REF Guest

42'
    No caution for the blatant and cynical jersey grab and take down.

44'
    Correct FRD caution. You don't see that every day!

Barc@4ever repped this.
  13. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    That was a pretty easy one . . . .

14. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    In a vacuum I have SPA but it feels a little harsh compared to what the standard has most often been during this tournament. I say most often because it's been all over the place this tournament. Every game it's a different line, even within some games (BRA-SUI is a good example) it hasn't necessarily been consistent.

15. Barc@4ever

Barc@4ever Member

Barcelona
    Jul 21, 2020
    If it was any other player than Valverde he would've given him a yellow.

16. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    Faghani did well enough in that first half on the back of very accurate and smart disciplinary choices, but it didn't really feel like an elite performance in other ways. He was always very central which made him way too distant from play on occasion. His management of players didn't extend beyond disciplinary choices. Not a bad performance at all, but it certainly lacks something special that Orsato had in a similar sort of match the other day.

I'm a big Faghani fan but this hasn't been his best performance, in my view. I was way more impressed by Taylor and Barton earlier, albeit in easier matches.

17. gaolin

gaolin Member+

Apr 21, 2019
    Ah. The double foul. Good opportunity for man management.

18. BTtotheP

BTtotheP Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Rainbow flag wielding intruder and subsequent drop ball handled well.

19. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    CR7 OSP?

Ah, no, good replay angle

BTtotheP repped this.
  20. USSF REF

USSF REF Guest

49'

Clattenburg wanted a caution. Would that have been a second because if so, I think maybe that is the limit of allowable restraint, but I prefer YC.

21. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The semi-automated tech shows just how our eyes often deceive us in terms of player positions. The live replay camera shot made it look like it was a pretty close offside call. The bionic men in the SAOT replay shows that it really was not that close. For me, that's something to consider when I don't have that technology. My eyes are often telling me that I'm seeing things that benefit the defense much more than what they likely are in reality.

Pittsburgh Ref repped this.
  22. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good job by the AR keeping his flag down on the goal. Not the easiest play to see at live speed.

Pittsburgh Ref and RefIADad repped this.
  23. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    62' call me crazy but the replay on that URU handling call looked like a not-unnatural position. Sort of hanging down-ish

24. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the same thing. I've called far less natural positions than that as non-handling when the ball has either been played or deflected straight from the same player.

25. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Watching Michigan against the team down south Saturday, I saw the Ump-Cam a couple times. Would love to see footage of what soccer officials see, maybe after some statute of limitations has run out.