It's OK to admit it, even in public: The NFL's a bore

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by butchiesboy, Sep 9, 2002.

1. butchiesboy

butchiesboy Member

Mar 25, 2001
    I watched the entire 'Skins-Cards game on Sunday. So many exciting moments:

-- Champ Bailey strutting after he laid his body out and deflected the ball, just like Brad Friedel, only Champ had twice the reaction time and was wearing full-body padding.
    -- The sight of a steroid-crazed Billy Ray thumping his chest after tackling a runner who made a 3-yard gain. (Congratulations Kewaukee, you did something that will only be done 2,000 times every Sunday!)
    -- 30 seconds between plays that provide ample time for lame-ass Fox promos. (Sorry, using "lame-ass" and "Fox" in the same sentence is redundant.)
    -- Have-a-drink-and-get-laid Coors Light commercials that peddle death to twentysomething mooks.

I have a plan for the Monday night game: I'm going to my local sports bar. After the first quarter, I'm going to get up on the table and address my fellow citizens as follows:

"Friends, what we're watching isn't a sport at all, but big-entertainment package narrated by failed stand-up comics. It's nothing more than a testament to performance-enhancing drugs.
    "I'm going home to watch a real sporting event, featuring athleticism, teamwork, and cunning. Who'll join me for a replay of the Belgium-Tunisia World Cup match?"

2. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    If you did that in any sports bar I was in, I would kick your ass.

I loves my NFL, and you better not get between me and my Steelers.

Sachin

3. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stop trying to find soccer in football. They aren't the same sports. Just because Brad Friedel can stop a shot with less reaction doesn't mean that it is easy to run down the sideline and tip a pass away from a receiver well you both are sprinting. I think somebody is bitter about what sports are popular in this country.

4. Werdguy

Werdguy New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    New York
    Jets/Bills was a great game.. kickoff return TD to open OT..

testeverde looked sharp... which is surprising..

and on another note, the us open was exciting too, if you payed attention to it..

5. jamesf24

jamesf24 New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Brighton, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boring? 3 games in OT, 5 more decided in 4th quarter, only two blowouts in week 1.

It was a great NFL opener.

If you don't like the NFL, fine.

But remember, it's ok to LOVE SOCCER, and still LOVE THE NFL.

James

6. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Bears game wasn't boring either. Interception with just under 2 minutes left by the same player that intercepted 2 passes for touchdowns in consecutive games. Winning drive excecuted by a quarter back that many say is not NFL caliber. The catch is the only one made by a second year player who many in this city hate. Other team gets the ball back. A fast quarter back, but not fast enough. Starts scrambling, unsung hero of the defence tracks him down and knocks the ball out of his hand, a former practice squad player recovers it. Bears win. Don't tell me the NFL is boring.

************ YOU!

7. older you become, more challenging for you to like sports you haven't paid attention. i used to play baseball and soccer a lot with my friends when i was a kid and naturally i liked it and still i like to watch the game. it not only gives me the excitement of the game but also my old good memories. I once tried to understand how fun to watch NFL but could never. i think that's because i never had any astonishing impression with american football in my youth and without passion or curiousty to learn it, it's impossible for me to like it in any ways. it's just the same whenever i try to teach my friends how fun to watch baseball but they never get it because they never had anything of it in their youth.

8. neilgrossman

neilgrossman New Member

May 12, 2000
    Hoboken, NJ
    The NFL has plenty of drama and plenty of scoring. In addition, a team that aggressively tries to score is usually rewarded. It would be nice if soccer got more of that.

9. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sour grapes.

It's amazing how much you sound like all the ignoramuses who go off about how "boring" soccer is.

11. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    the following was said to two guys in a sports bar near foxboro, who were wearing patriots garb of some kind or another..

"you know, i think that american football is like a version of rugby, for women"

thier expressions were priceless.

12. mr magoo

mr magoo New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    South Shields
    i acctualy watched two games yesturday on sky sports and it was ok i guess. i still wish they would get rid of the protection though. carnt remeber who was playin the only team i remeber were St Louis ( I think i shall have to adopt them as my MFL team). all in all it look ok but damn i was very confused. shame about the continuity of it all they kept having breaks in play every 10 seconds or so.

13. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    besides the commercials, which of coruse are basically constant, it was a great day of action.

fortunately there was the u.s. open, my padres and other sports to turn to during those very same commercials so i didn't go comatose between action.

14. SoccerSD

SoccerSD Member

Mar 2, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    anytime the Chargers can dismantle another team, (even if it's Cincy), it's an amazing day.

15. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Yes, it’s a BORE
    Yes, it is a different game and should be treated as such.

AND BLOODY NO….!!!!!

It’s NOT… “The Beautiful Game..”
    SOMEBODY take this to the rivalries board, PLEASE…!!!

16. photar74

photar74 New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    West Philly
    Its OK to admit it--bashing any sport is a bore.

Well, except maybe golf and auto racing. :)

17. Nepal Footy

Nepal Footy New Member

Feb 8, 1999
    Nepal
    I like college ball better. Not sure why though? Can someone help me?

Maybe, among other things, it is the fact that everygame matters. One loss and you are almost out of the national championship picture. Two losses and you can forget a national title and perhaps BCS bowl game.

18. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    I'm not sure how you guys even found the time to watch the NFL this weekend. There is so much soccer on there isn't enough time time to watch anything else.

19. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The passion. The fact that the players aren't getting payed, and they have to work hard on every play. These kids are playing for their future. NFL'ers are playing for now.

20. crom80

crom80 New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Re: Re: It's OK to admit it, even in public: The NFL's a bore

GO CLEVELAND!!@@@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry.. couldnt resist myself...

i actually dun like NFL but college football rulez

my loving michigan Blues gonna kick ass this year

21. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The NFL is nice, but it is no XFL.

22. adam

adam Member

Mar 6, 1999
    Minneapolis
    They're not? I guess the players in my building didn't get that memo. They're not paid outright, but the amount of free sh!t they get is ridiculous. And I'm not talking about free team warmups and stuff like that...

23. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somebody's bitter. My point is that these kids are working as hard as they can to get to that level. Once at that level, the NFL players tend to stop caring. I've seen it happen.

24. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love NFL. I love MLS. I love MLB. I love NBA. I love college basketball. I love international soccer. I love hockey. I love rugby and Aussie Rules. Heck, I love it all. Even the X-Games.

It's all fantastic, man! Yes, you can love more than one sport. Really. It is possible.

25. butchiesboy

butchiesboy Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sachin, there's still plenty of time left in the fourth quarter and your guys are down 30-7.

It's the Germany-Saudi Arabia of Monday Night Football openers, with your man Kordell about as effective as the guy who had to mark Miroslav Klose.

Offer's still good, buddy. Whaddaya say? Belgium-Tunisia replay at my house. I'll spring for the beer and pizza.