Copa America 2024 Discussion

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by soul24rage, May 10, 2024.

1. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Copa America is about a month away. What would be everyone's lineup?

It'll be controversial, but mine would be something like this

Dibu---Molina, Romero, Otamendi, Acuna---RDP, Paredes, MacA, Lo Celso---Messi---Alvarez

-Enzo is still recovering from his surgery and Paredes has been really in form, so I would go with Paredes
    -I would like to keep Di Maria wrapped in cotton wool and try to save him until the final if we do reach there. Of course, add him as a sub.
    -Very harsh to drop Palacios with the season he is having, but RDP is that important for the team. Palacios would be my #1 sub to replace RDP and I would sub in Enzo, Lautaro and Nico Gonzalez later on.

johnbarley2, Rattlehead and Pekerman repped this.
  2. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This the most likely line-up. And the only weakness imo is (1) the full-bakcs, and (2) Can Otamendi deliver?

1. Molina and Acuna are so inconsistent. I can't recall any other position that has been more fluid during the Scaloni era more than the full-backs (its been a merry-go-round of Montiel, Molina, Acuna, Tagiafico . . . and hoping Barcos). This is not Scaloni faults, its the talent.

2. Otamendi. I love him. But this is a long time coming . . .

johnbarley2 and soul24rage repped this.
  3. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #3 Rattlehead, May 10, 2024
    Last edited: May 10, 2024
    I dont know about Otamendi, he's one of those who could be really solid but still feels like a ticking timebomb to me lol.

However, Dani Alves was good in 2019 so I wouldnt write out Otamendi at least for this Copa.

Molina isnt the most consistent defender out there, but he has the stamina & pace which usually crucial in long stretch of the tournament. We saw how important his overlapping run when he assisted & scored againts Poland & Netherlands. Even in Alvarez second goal againts Croatia, he provided a passing option by outrunning literally everyone on the pitch.

Acuna also can run up & down all the time but his pace isnt what it used to be.

Palacios deserves to be on the squad & I wouldnt mind him starting.

Di Maria should only start in the final or if we face Uruguay or Brazil prior to the final. Unlike Messi, if Angelito is on the field, he'd always sprint like crazy .

johnbarley2, Burr and soul24rage repped this.
  4. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Groups do not cross to other side of draw. Could only see one of Uruguay/Brazil and only in the final.

5. Mac Attack

Mac Attack Member

Many
    Argentina
    Oct 19, 2023
    When will the squad be announced?

6. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The preliminary 55 men squad deadline has already passed, but AFA is not required to reveal them in public. The deadline to submit the final squad is on June 12.

SupaMario and locoxriver repped this.
  7. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    Starting Otamendi is a huge mistake. He's been responsible for 4/5 or 5/6 of the last goals against.

8. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    I don't think so. In the WC, Scaloni only deployed 4 midd against Croatia who were known to have a very good mid. I think we will play 4-3-3. Our wing should be Garnacho with Di Maria coming on as a sub yo preserve him.

9. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The thing is he and Cuti are the only aerial threat we have from set pieces. I dont remember the other players scoring from direct corner in recent years. Otamendi scored two winning goals in qualifier so far, both from set pieces. Cuti did it few times as well in recent time. Cuti scored a couple of headers aswell in recent time. Most of our players are midgets.

10. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We also played 4 midfielders vs Brazil in Nov. 2023 so it's not that unthinkable. But realistically, I think Scaloni will play Nico Gonzalez on the LW in the starting lineup, which would be unfortunate imo.

11. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    That's true. In the group stage unlikely we will see 4 mids. Maybe later on.

Scaloni has proven to be flexible and able to make big changes (eg Alvarez for Lautaro). I think if Garnacho plays better in our warmup matches, he'll take Nico's spot.

soul24rage repped this.
  12. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We need to continue our winning ways. Let’s not forget, if we win this, we will battle for another trophy for the Finalissima. Another trophy is always a benefit.

Our players cannot be content with what we have won. Continue to fight for every ball and give it all you got. The buck does not step with having a third star on our jersey.

We have quite a favorable draw. We won’t face anything major possibly until the final.

And for the love of god, no more penalities, please. Years were taken off my life from the last CA and the World Cup.

And speaking of penalties… Will they go straight to PKs after 90s min(Other than the final)? I hope not. That has always irked me. Weaker sides can just sit back for 90 minutes and play for PKs…

Rattlehead, ganapordiego and soul24rage repped this.
  13. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I totally agree. This team has the chance to become one of the best international teams in Football History, so we need to keep pushing our limits and I think that's Scaloni's mindset from what I can see.

All knockout games, except for the final, goes straight to penalty shootouts after regular time (Article 26)

https://copaamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/CA2024-Reglamento_2023.11-ENG.pdf

ganapordiego and SupaMario repped this.
  14. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    #14 johnbarley2, May 11, 2024
    Last edited: May 11, 2024
    We have a big psychological edge with penalties. A murders row of penalty takers and Dibu.

Messi
    Paredes
    Exequiel
    Julian
    Mac Allister
    Dybala
    Montiel (if in)

I remember after our loss to Uruguay un copa 2011 or do Mascherano saying he hadn't had the luck to win a shootout. In those years we had tons of talent but a weak mindset and negative attitude. Now we have less talent but more balls and positive energy.

ganapordiego and soul24rage repped this.
  15. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The no ET rules has always been ridiculous thing. If the WC which is the biggest tournament of all has ET, then other senior tournament should implement the same rules. As you said, its definetely benifits the weaker team.

SupaMario and ganapordiego repped this.
  16. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #16 Rattlehead, May 11, 2024
    Last edited: May 11, 2024
    To be fair we scored our first 4 penalties, eventually somebody's gonna miss. Tevez penalty was saved, not because he blast it wide. It that case, it just happened to be a bad luck, much like Messi's penalty against Poland.

However, Higuain almost missed his penalty , he hit the inside of the crossbar and he eventually missed in 2015 final shootout. Biglia missed against Colombia in 2015 and missed again in 2016 final. Nobody remember that because nobody other than Argentina fans remember Biglia's existence.

Our managers at the time simply had no clue how to deal with the shootout situation. Scaloni in comparison , he didnt pick RDP after he missed in Copa semi, and he didnt pick Enzo after he missed in WC quarter. Scaloni also puts in Montiel, Paredes and Dybala after 90th minute mark which proof he's well prepared for the shootout.

johnbarley2, ganapordiego and soul24rage repped this.
  17. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Brazil look dangerous.

18. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I dont know but is it as dangerous as 2006 with R9, Ronnie, R Carlos, Kaka, Adriano, Lucio, Dida, Juninho, Gilberto Silva, Emerson? or their "great" standard has been very different today...

19. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    #19 johnbarley2, May 12, 2024
    Last edited: May 12, 2024
    I have no recollection of that shootout against Uruguay. Remember it being a horrible match with Suarez flopping all over the place. By the end I was drunk, and splashes wine all over my Airbnb apartment. Fled the next day.

Think I might watch an old Copa match, not that one! Which one do you recommend?

I loved the 2019 squad. A shame we lost to Brazil in a match that we outplayed them.

20. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #20 Rattlehead, May 12, 2024
    Last edited: May 12, 2024

The 6-1 against Paraguay in 2015 semi was entertaining. Also 3-0 win against Mexico in 2007 semi.

As for Brazil game in 2019....

Its what prompted Otamendi throwing an elbow when we played Brazil later on in qualifier and Messi being fined for speaking the truth against Conmebol. Its also the game that fueled the team to went on unbeaten for 30+ matches and won every silverware.

johnbarley2 repped this.
  21. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    On paper, they will always have “Big Name” players. Much of that has to do with hype and whatnot.

The media is already trying to prop up Vinicius, if he wins the CL and the CA, he should win the Ballon d'Or. What a joke.

The amount of bitching and moaning this little twat does is something else. Not to mention his victimhood where he goes crying like a little bitch to the media after he antagonizes players and opposition. A disgusting representation of what is wrong with football and the world today. I would not surprised one day, some footballer is gonna lunge in with a two footed tackle that will end his season. He needs to learn to shut his mouth and cut down those antics. It’s not gonna end well for him if he continues it.

soul24rage and Rattlehead repped this.
  22. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

johnbarley2 repped this.
  23. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Sorry for this post to be a little personal, but we are moving back to Atlanta early June after 6 years in Houston.

Now obviously our game against Canada in Atlanta seems even more enticing.

I’ve always gotten my tickets from Ticketmaster, but no tickets left there. However, those same tickets that are not available at Ticketmaster are available at Stubhub. Not sure how that is so.

Are Stubhub tickets legit?

I am posting here because maybe someone from here can help me if I should bite the bullet and get the tickets from Stubhub.

soul24rage and SupaMario repped this.
  24. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Stubhub is 100% legitimate. I think that vendor is selected by the stadium? or it might be because the Stubhub tickets are the secondary market (i.e,, you're buying scalper tickets).

I don't know exactly how it all works, but I can confirm that Stubhub is a legitimate tix platform. I have bought tix from them before and didn't have an issue.

The way all the Copa America tix were sold was a complete sht#t show. I tried to buy the early sale tix for the final but couldn't do it. I got my finals tix from ticketmaster b/c the vendor for Hard Rock Stadium is ticketmaster.

soul24rage, afar and SupaMario repped this.
  25. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Looks like we’re back to 26 player rosters :thumbsup:

1208DFB1-AEFA-4CCA-89CC-645588687B07.jpeg

soul24rage, afar, Burr and 1 other person repped this.