Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CP's mom was also a college player and probably played a big part in laying the foundation for his skills.

adam tash repped this.
  2. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Voltaire: "the perfect is the enemy of the good". Having parents who were serious soccer pros guarantees nothing, but it gives you a head start over most kids.

Moishe, y-lee-coyote and usnroach repped this.
  3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I remember he would play soccer non-stop as a very young kid and his parents would have to take the ball away from him at times. His dad's indoor team also had some Brazilian players who would show Pulisic a trick and wouldn't stop until he could replicate it it. So he did have help but most was an internal work ethic very few in any sport possess. Wouldn't be surprised if almost all of the greats in sports have that drive and work ethic.

4. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say a key for Puli is despite being exceptional as a prospect here in the states, he didn’t suffer from the big fish in a small pond mindset as he repeatedly had experienced being in environments around other elite prospects overseas.

Too many prospects here are insulated and think too highly of themselves as their only comparison is our player pool. Try training at La Masia three times as a kid like Puli. That offers true perspective as that’s your future comp if you want to make it at the top levels

NorcalHockeyhooligan and Winoman repped this.
  5. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Mamba mentality.

6. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Yes, I almost put that in my post. It seems she played a very big role.

7. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    How do you remember that goal as a free kick?

8. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    two athletic parents who understood the game ....

as a kid he had the drive to perfect his game in a way that his parents had to stop him from overtraining himself (he was/is very self driven) ...

he had decent youth coaches that knew enough to let him be himself ...

Hershey is not known for helicopter parents ...

if you see some of his youth videos he was always playing up in age and size and was used to doing exactly what he did against Inter .... steal the ball ... drive with pace right at the opponent ... and with quick feet and skills it would require yielding a PK to stop him ...

what he has learned greatly (credit to Chelsea) is the art of defending ... even given his small size ...

RunthePoint repped this.
  10. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leao' is a physical specimen and talent ... Puli simply has a better work ethic in the run of play .... so far which one is helping ACM win? To me ... it is a no brainer.

11. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #69736 lmorin, Sep 26, 2024 at 7:11 AM
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2024 at 7:18 AM
    The Guardian declares it, so it must be true..............
    Fast and furious: this is the best version of Christian Pulisic we’ve ever seen

A selection:

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Leao is very good for Pulisic. Leao is a wild card who makes defenses nervous and opens up space in the attacking 1/3 - 1/2 - And Pulisic is a more disciplined player who has become very effective at exploiting those opens. On top of that CP is playing with such confidence. Really fun to watch. Now if AC can get its act together it could be a really fun year, esp with Inter giving everyone a little room.

mattjens, Pegasus, schrutebuck and 8 others repped this.
  13. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
  14. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    As Pulisic and Royal partnership and understanding grow, the right side would be just as great of a threat as the left side for Milan. And perhaps become a more consistent threat.

15. RunthePoint

RunthePoint Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Providence RI
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

16. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
  17. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    wasn't that Zlatan's thing

18. NorcalHockeyhooligan

Feb 25, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (sigh) You're right - it wasn't from a free kick! Folks, don't grow old. The memory is one of the first things to get hazy...

russ, ebbro and dark knight repped this.
  19. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weird that he is having these fitness issues. When he was at Juventus, he was normally quite reliable. Taking off my Juventino hat, that's unfortunate for Milan. I feel that they seem better/more dangerous with him on the field.

20. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I'm not convinced of that. You can't compare Leao to an empty space, you have to compare him to another player they could buy for 40-60M Euros. I like watching him when he is on his game but damn, how often is that?

21. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    The problem with Leao is Theo and Reijnders being out there too. You can't have Leao/Theo on the left, plus Reijnders in the middle, and have any chance of preventing goals. Those three just don't do defense. Maybe you could deal with two of the three playing, but definitely not all three.

22. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Leao and Theo were both on the left when Leao won POY in Italy. Leao doesn't do much defending but the other 2 are quite OK at it

23. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Member+

Oct 7, 2003
    Simsbury, CT
    Well you could spend your 40-60M Euros on better midfielders and defenders and buy a cheap 10M winger. That would definitely hurt Pulisic as suggested by the original poster.

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    And CP has played with many other players on the oppo wing - any number of whom would be in an AC Milan starter price range. So we can compare. Leao may not be the "best" for CP, but it's hard to argue CP has not been producing well with Leao on the field with him.

25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    #69750 freisland, Sep 26, 2024 at 4:02 PM
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2024 at 4:10 PM
    I mean Muddy was what, 90 mill... so it's not like we don't have data points.

And again, the point is not "only" Leao would be good for CP, but I do think having a guy on the opposite touch who likes to stay wide, is mecurial and dangerous, is good for CP, esp when he has to play wing. It shifts the weight of the defense to (their) right, makes them play off a bit, and opens space for CP. I think he is less effective when a team can clog the space between the 18 and 30 and collapse into a tighter packed formation - when there is someone who can draw out the wide defenders it opens space for CP that plays to his strengths.

Hagbard Celine and russ repped this.