Audi Field a Possible Site for 2025 FIFA Club World Cup?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by IncaEnclave, Jul 21, 2024.

1. IncaEnclave

IncaEnclave Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Why not?

Looks like FIFA is looking to consider mostly East Coast cities in order to cater to the European TV audience. I know Audi Field has a small capacity but do you need a 75K stadium when Red Bull Salzburg plays Auckland City? Sure you can use doubleheaders to piggyback off of the popularity of one of the heavyweights but let's throw DC a bone.

FedEx actually came out pretty well as a soccer pitch for its summer friendlies in comparison with the disastrous Copa America. Imagine a round of 16 game at Audi Field between River Plate and Benfica.

If Harrison or Chester is a site and DC is shutout altogether I'll be pissed.

2. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The CWC usually takes place in mid December. I can't imagine anyone wanting to play a match here, or north of here, at that time of year.

3. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    nope - too small - locke`r rooms too small

KasperOut and Winoman repped this.
  4. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No longer the case. The CWC is being played in mid-June to mid-July in 2025 with the format change to a quadrennial, 32-team event.

5. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Love this change. Next summer is going to be really fun.

6. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    You'd have people literally climbing over the walls of the stadium to get into that matchup.

You can be pissed if they choose NJ or PHL, but you know exactly who is to blame for building the worst new SSS in MLS.

7. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Copa America fields: "Everyone thought we were terrible!"

Audi Field: "Hold my beer."

Daniel le Rouge2, revelation and Winoman repped this.
  8. IncaEnclave

IncaEnclave Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Is Audi Field really that bad? I've only gone to the game against UNAM Pumas last year and was impressed on how close the seats were to the pitch. And then almost anyone who's been to a DC Defenders game raves about it.

But maybe it pales in comparison to Cincinatti or Austin. Even if it was built after Harrison, I think Red Bull Arena is considered a top SSS. What in particular makes Audi Field unimpressive?

9. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Whinerbabies on the internet.

superdave repped this.
  10. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    As you noted, the sight lines are fantastic all-around.

But after that, serious issues:
    Capacity is very low, currently 21k, expandable to 25k, about half of FIFA requirements for sanctioned WC quali and final tournament games.

It was built with only 3 locker rooms but this might have changed recently to 4. I believe FIFA requires 4 plus referee locker rooms.

Inadequate space around the pitch for runoff, advertising, and media and security personnel - doesnt meet FIFA specs.

Some of the whiner issues:

Lots of concessions but inadequate space in the concourses (even as the building permits were issued). Too few TVs in the concourses for watching the games while waiting in lines.

Inadequate parking (but this is changing as new building come on line).

Inadequate roads and traffic control for egress traffic.

11. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    A roof only along the sidelines.

An absolutely pathetic pitch every single year for much of the season.

No escalators to the top level.

A rather poor beer selection.

TowsonDad and PSURoss repped this.
  12. IncaEnclave

IncaEnclave Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Thanks. I have a co-worker who's a big EPL fan and refused to go back to Audi Field because it was cashless payments only. I thought he was being backwards but I was unaware of the shortcomings pointed out.

It looks like most of the shortcomings can be remediated with minor investments (poor beer selection, more TVs in the concourses).

But I wonder if the inadequate space around the pitch for runoff/advertising/media could even be addressed with a major renovation. Maybe the capacity can be expanded to 25K in a decade and spur the major investment of a space around the pitch and a roof all around.

Looks like we'll have to depend on the Commanders' ownership to continue investing in Commanders Field and ultimately getting a new stadium in order to get big time soccer in the DMV.

TowsonDad repped this.
  13. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Complaining about beer selection is wild. There’s a lot of good options both draft and cans.

John L and Winoman repped this.
  14. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Name them.

15. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    So this is just a preference thing? Lagunitas IPA, Sierra Nevada Hazy Little Thing, Bell’s Two Hearted, Dogfish 60 Minute IPA, and Aslin are all excellent choices for a stadium. And that’s just the IPAs.

TowsonDad, John L and Winoman repped this.
  16. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Where on earth are you getting the dogfish and bells? They do not exist in the upper deck. Aslin now does.

17. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    South side concessions. Both were on tap next to the pupuseria last time I was there.

Attached Files:

roadkit and Winoman repped this.
  18. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is really the biggest issue. It's sh!t

KasperOut and John L repped this.
  19. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    While it's good business to pack non-MLS games and events into the stadium for revenue, it's hell on the field. There simply was not enough down time for the sod to recover. It obviously didn't help when there was a rugby game during a monsoon and then a DCU game the next day (or two) followed by the USWNT another few days later. And now there's Broccoli Festival on the field plus some other tourney.

If MLS had kept its schedule through last half of July into August maybe this wouldn't have happened.

Daniel le Rouge2 repped this.
  20. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't watched the grass grow in a long time, but is ONE STINKIN DAY OF 100' F weather gonna make that much of a difference?

21. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Absolutely wild to me that they let the field deteriorate as much as it did, went to Leagues Cup officials essentially with the “this is fine” meme, and oh yeah hosted a multi-day music festival all weekend with the expectation of playing a competitive home game on it tomorrow.

22. usadcu

usadcu Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Bless you, this is news I can use! The selection at the north side draft stand has dwindled and is not good.

Th4119 repped this.
  23. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Standard fees apply. Let me know when I can cash in the Bell’s you owe me :)

usadcu, Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  24. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Audi Field was chosen as one of 12 venues for the inaugural 32 team Club World Cup next Summer.
    asitis

Winoman repped this.