YNT-Eligible MLS Players: 2018 In-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 20, 2018.

1. don Lamb

don Lamb Member

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    lol
    He's starting in the playoffs in his second year. The first year was mostly spent grooming him. This year, he has earned the spot and is now playing at the most important point in the season.

Would he have been better off if Minnesota had taken him #1? Would Atlanta or NYC at #2 or #3 have been better for him? None of those teams had USL teams last year, and there's no way he would have been a first team regular with any of those teams in year one. Would he have gotten much run for one of the supposed developers like FCD or NYRB?

Even if there are one or two teams that would have given him north of 2500 minutes like you suggest, I'm not sure those places would have been good for his development. Chris Mueller got 2000+ minutes with Orlando this season. Was that season great for his development just because he got a lot of minutes?

Seems like things have worked out pretty well for Ebobisse considering Europe didn't work out and he spent two years in the ACC.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  2. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Agreed although I think there’s a difference between him and situations in Atlanta and other teams. It’s not like Ebo was doing well in his previous appearances last year and earlier this season.

Besides RSL, NYRB, and Philly most here including myself believe every team should do better youth wise. I do agree that Portland is poor playing domestic players, let alone youth.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  3. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland's main indictment is their academy. They signed Foster Langsdorf after 4 years in college in January, Marco Farfan 2 years ago (who looks like a bust at this point), and then no one since unrostered 27 year old Steven Evans in 2013.

That is the worst output in MLS, possibly only matched by Orlando, who have to have a few more years of terribleness to catch up.

deejay repped this.
  4. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McKenzie finishes third in the rookie of the year voting.

5. irondeepbicycle

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    There is another option! Stay with me here... MLS could have let Ebo sign with whoever he wanted.

kba4life1 repped this.
  6. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    On My Squatty Potty
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Insanity.

Bet you also believe reptilians rule the elite.

irondeepbicycle repped this.
  7. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
  8. don Lamb

don Lamb Member

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Sorry, that's actually not an option.

The bottom line is that he is not a super high end talent, and he is doing well in Portland. They have given him opportunities to develop and opportunities with the first team (in the playoffs, no less) -- he has earned these opportunities and taken advantage of them. I don't see what the issue is here.

WheezingUSASupport and USSoccerNova repped this.
  9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    NYC
    I don't put much into the Durkin transfer talk, in the sense that if they are offered enough, they will sell, so until they do, or don't, it's all negotiating. But I do think it's interesting that they might see CB as a way to get him more minutes next season.

ChrisSSBB, Winoman and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  10. irondeepbicycle

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    It 100% is an option.

So let him sign wherever he wants to! Maybe he would have chosen Portland after all. Or maybe another team wouldn't have sat him behind Dairon Asprilla for a year and a half.

11. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that is interesting. Durkin as a ball-playing center defender would be quite good for this new look DC team that is a lot more competent than more recent iterations of the team. I like it. Brillant also was not very good for them down the stretch.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  12. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Obviously, he would have to learn and adjust to the position but for those of you that are better in tune with Durkin's skills and athletic ability, how do you think he compares with our current NT central defenders (speed, agility, passing ability, touch etc). Also, I haven't watched him too much, what do you think Durkin's best position will eventually be? CD or CM?

Thanks in advance

13. Kombucha

Kombucha Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Also interesting was that DC valued Durkin at $1.5-$2 Million, which Hanover thought was too high and Benfica offered $.6 - $1 Million, which United turned down.

I know people want MLS teams to sell out at the first offer, but $1.5 - $2 Million seems like a reasonable valuation for a quality prospect like Durkin that has a spot starting role on the team and is a Top 10 U20 prospect. I can't blame them for telling Benfica no thanks on the offer. DC might get EPBed, but can't let prospects go for nothing.

Pl@ymaker, Winoman and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  14. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    the story listed the previous asking price at $1.5-$2M. I wonder what it would take for DC to part with him now? I would guess that the price has risen. Of course the other side of the equation is when is his contract up? I think someone has posted it here but I don't remember. If he still has 2+ yrs (which he probably does) I am sure DC would feel pretty safe hanging on for another year or so.

15. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    $2 million is not very much in international soccer. Now, especially, he has a year under his belt as a professional in a league that is better than many European leagues and at least comparable to to some of the better leagues. (I would say that anything top 20 is one of the better leagues).

16. don Lamb

don Lamb Member

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    A player is rarely able to sign "wherever he wants to." That is a two-way street and even if he had been a free agent rather than subjected to the draft, there is still no guarantee that he ends up in a great spot. All things considered, I'm not sure he could have asked for much better than the way it's played out for him.

17. Kombucha

Kombucha Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    This quote from right after Durkin signed leads me to believe that the contract ends at the end of next season.

“My contract ends when I’m 19 years old and that still leaves me with plenty of options both overseas and still here in the US.”

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Durkin at CB has been brought up before. Its better in theory than practice. He ball-watches too much to play the position with anywhere near the effectiveness that he plays defensive midfield. He's played it many times for the U-17's, and his performances are nowhere near as good.

Zamphyr and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  19. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    But I can’t imagine DC holding out after this winter and risk losing him on a free. Guessing there’s an option year for 2020.

I think Goff would’ve mentioned that Durkin’s contract would be up after 2019. He mentioned it when talking about Luciano Acosta in that article.

20. Kombucha

Kombucha Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Agree.

The narrative contradicts Durkin’s quote.

I don’t see why MLS can’t release contract details like everybody else.

21. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    Regardless, the expectations for DC United will be very different.next year. If he racks up a lot of minutes next year, it will be very impressive. Ben Olsen does not “spread minutes around” as much as some coaches.One could say he is often “late to go to the bench” during games, often not using substitutions that might have helped the team, regardless of the age of his players. Durkin is impressive in that he has gotten minutes in spite of this, especially at a time when DC United is allowing a lot of their academy prospects sign with other teams, both in MLS and abroad.

22. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lennon and Herrera start for RSL. Glad, Acosta, and Saucedo are on the bench.

Busio on the bench for SKC.

Games starts at 3 eastern on ESPN.

23. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL getting absolutely mauled by basic runs behind their center backs.

Great job Petke. You're a real genius.

24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Herrera has also been bad. Nearly caused a calamitous goal, and his inaccurate pass started the second goal. Only one looking decent is Lennon.

We shouldn't take any solace in seeing this happen though. It doesn't advance the careers of Glad or Acosta, who need to get out of Salt Lake in the offseason.

25. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Glad is now seemingly 4th on the depth chart. Silva is out injured and Petke started Besler ahead of Justen.

Flat out bizarre considering Justen started 33 of 34 games this season.

ussoccer97531 repped this.