WC 2018 - The Banking It Edition

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Midfield General, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Hustle and Flow

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    I was rooting for England after Argentina got knocked out. Not a bad run, all things considered- probably even a tournament ahead of schedule. There’s some pillars and building blocks in place now and some exciting youth on the way, so it’s not all doom and gloom.

Ah well, I guess it’s time to jump on the Croatia bandwagon.

2. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who did Croatia beat before England? A bad Argentina team, Nigeria, and Iceland before going to pks with Denmark and Russia.

They both had easy runs to the semis tbh.

I'm just talking about today though. England were fresh and took an early lead, then took an uber conservative approach against a team that looked dead.

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  3. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    They took a conservative approach because they don’t have the quality to impose their game on a team like Croatia, they took the lead from a set piece and never looked like scoring besides that, whereas Croatia could have had several. The better team won.

4. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Croatia deserve it over the tournament for the football they have played. This England team is likeable enough but my like stopped at the quarter finals. That's enough for them for one tournament. :D

5. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    England has an exciting mix of young players with technical quality as a team they are very likeable IMO. But I know what their fans and media are capable of once they start being semi relevant, so I will always root against them. Thought it was pretty funny how the English were diving around like Neymar in the R16 and complaining about the tough Colombians being too mean to them when it’s usually the other way around too.

Pietro Calcio and shiboboo repped this.
  6. Hustle and Flow

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Where’d you meet Southgate by the way? If you don’t mind me asking.

7. L'immortale

L'immortale Member

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Secondigliano

8. L'immortale

L'immortale Member

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Secondigliano

9. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Weird that so many Croatian players called out English media, I thought they weren’t that bad to the Croatians. Still funny though lol.

10. Midgo

Midgo Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Probably the ESPNFC effect.

11. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    What happened?

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  13. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Croatia pulls this off football wins.

France is a disgrace to play like they do with the talent they have.

They're Mourinho's wetdream.

chaponga repped this.
  14. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Meh, they more or less played like Italy in 06

15. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #815 Pietro Calcio, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Ok so teams faces by England and Croatia up to this point ...I'm going to put a @Italy-Azzurri-Fan here :D......shout out to @Mean Machine too :D

Croatia beats Nigeria 2-0 easily
    England struggles to beat Tunisia 2- 1 with a late injury goal from Kane in the 91st
    Nigeria = Tunisia more or less but Croatia played better football the first game

Croatia easily handles Argentina 3 - 0
    England beats a shitty Panama 6 - 1
    No comparison....Argentina > Panama ..as crappy as Argentina was they still made the KO round and there was always the potential for Messi to do damage

Croatia had some difficulty with Iceland but still played well enough to beat them 2 - 1 and went 3 wins in the group.
    England when finally tested in the group never threatened Belgium ( mundane really ) and lost 1 to 0.
    Belgium proved to be the better team getting to the semis and beating Brazil , but England still couldn't muster a goal or a draw
    Belgium > Iceland ... England goes 2 wins and 1 loss in the group

Overall Croatia played better football against a better group. England just really had to not screw up against Tunisia and Panama ( always possible with them before ) and they were through for all intents and purposes.

In the KOs

Croatia goes 1 - 1 against a tough Denmark and advances on pks. Denmark , keep in mind , did not lose this tournament and drew with France in the group.

England played to a 1 -1 draw against an over rated Colombia without James....I giving the edge to Denmark slightly in terms of difficulty

Denmark > Colombia

In the quarters

Croatia plays to a 2-2 draw going into extra time against Russia and advances on pks. It is NEVER easy playing the hosts , especially in the quarters , so that in itself is something to be considered . And while Russia may have been the lowest ranked team they certainly didn't play that way and exited the WC with only one loss in the group.

England beats Sweden 2 - 0 , thought the Swedes had a bit of misfortune ( only a bit ) but England solidified a win against a Sweden team that was able to pass Germany in the group. I give the edge to Sweden here , they had a strategy ( as boring as it was ) and stuck to it getting as far as the quarters ( it's exactly how they managed to knock us out of the WC in the qualifiers....that and Ventura also being bozo the clown didn't help )......Sweden gets the edge here

Sweden > Russia

So based on the quality of football played and taking into account the quality of the opponents , the context of the opponents ( and also that Croatia played extra time 3 straight matches in the KOs ) I would rate that Croatia had a bit more of a difficult path to the final and played the better football. England squandered the opportunity to make it 2-0 and after the half hung back. After Croatia equalized it was all them ( imo ) and England was just hanging on in extra time. England was also fortunate not to concede at least another goal a few times.

Croatia deserve to be in the final.

wm72, La Magica and Midfield General repped this.
  16. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  17. wm72

wm72 Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    New York
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

England would need some sort of midfield to reach that level in my opinion so I'm not betting on it.

As soon as they face a top tier team, their lack of any incisive passing whatsoever from midfield sticks out like a sore thumb.

They're pretty good at beating the teams they should beat.

However, they will have to be extremely lucky to make a Euro or another WC semi-final without facing a team good enough to exploit many of their considerable weaknesses.

18. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    1017391963052675072 is not a valid tweet id

Shen-O, wm72, Oban14 and 3 others repped this.
  19. Moebek

Moebek Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Cairo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
  20. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

21. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Arrogant fool considering he's bang average.

22. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hey guys , remember this? I did....

Or what about this one?

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  23. DOctore13

DOctore13 Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    If it wasn’t for the British navy in the colonial period the English football would be irrelevant. When was the last time England produced a world class footballer? Have they ever produced an all time great? They’re lucky English is so widely spoken that they can market their league worldwide and pay for top talent.

24. Moebek

Moebek Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Cairo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    Croatia wiped the smirks off these smug faces

La Magica and wm72 repped this.
  25. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    If we're talking pure class and technique then ...

Glenn Hoddle
    Chris Waddle
    Matthew Le Tissier *
    Gazza
    Scholes
    Beckham