River Plate 2017-18 Season: News & Match Discussion [r]

Discussion in 'River Plate' started by locoxriver, Dec 29, 2016.

1. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Speaking of Everton, from my understanding Everton in Portuguese roughly translates to Fatso.

RiverGaucho repped this.
  2. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Dq06SpnX4AA8Jop.jpg

Dq06SKiXQAARqYT.jpg

Dq06ldiXQAAWFhG.jpg-large.jpeg

Attached Files:

locoxriver and DaDroopDogg repped this.
  3. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  4. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Surprisingly, Pity, Scocco, Quintero, Palacios, and Pinola have been called-up for Sunday's game vs. Estudiantes. Hopefully they'll sit on the bench. I don't want any last minute injuries before the Superclasico.

We'll already be missing Ponzio in the Bombonera, unfortunately, which is a huge advantage for the bosteros.. can't afford to lose any more key players.

DaDroopDogg repped this.
  5. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Oh... and Lux will be starting vs. Estudiantes. :thumbsdown:

RiverGaucho and pepinointer repped this.
  6. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    and this is why you don't risk players days before the Libertadores final :rolleyes:

7. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Pratto is still terrible.. Lets hope Scocco's injury isn't anything serious, because it would be a shame starting Oso vs. Boca

DaDroopDogg repped this.
  8. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Nacho fernandez is horrible too...

9. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, but at least Nacho hustles. He isn't the best player, but he makes some contributions to the team in terms of ball circulation and pressing.

Pratto has been even slower than usual (which says a lot). He lost every battle on the ground, in the air, in speed, etc. vs. both Gremio and Estudiantes this week. He hasn't been a danger to the rival keepers either: he hasn't scored in the last 9 games, and in many of those didn't even take shots at goal. Really nothing to offer. (PLEASE shut me up vs Boca... or just don't play :D)

Quintero's form has also dipped.. even his body language seemed to be showing lack of confidence. I hope he's just concentrating on the final, but today he wasn't his usual self, and vs. Gremio he didn't really have his best games either.

After watching today's match, I can see why Montiel has been our starting RB for so long despite playing out of position. Moreira was extremely poor and didn't look to be even half of the player he was before his injury. At this point, Montiel offers more, but this might be a position to consider reinforcing in the upcoming transfer window.

At least Zuculini looked decent... which is important considering Ponzio's absense next Saturday

The other positive news is that it appears Scocco should arrive without problems to the first final. :thumbsup:

DaDroopDogg repped this.
  10. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The other thing about Pratto is that he is getting worse. He is so out of shape he doesn't even create any chances. Its the debate in football, would you rather have a player like Funes Mori who is constantly in positions to score, but couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, or a player like Pratto who literally doesn't even have a shot on goal in 90 minutes.

It seems that Gallardo is going to play with Pratto and Borre and it just is upsetting. I know Scocco has a great history as a sub, especially against the Bosteros, but I just feel like playing with Pratto is a waste. If you want someone who will fight the opposition defenders and take up space, you have 100000 volunteers to do that every game. The #9 for River needs to score goals and give assists, and Pratto has not done that since coming to River.

In fact, he has not done it in his entire career. At Sao Paulo, he had 7 goals in 35 league matches and chipped in with 7 more in 12 matches in the Sao Paulo State Championship, much like how many of his goals for us have come in the Copa Argentina against lower level opposition. Since coming to River, in the Superliga he has played 22 matches and scored just 3 goals. In Libertadores he has 3 in 12. And the other thing is he is always a starter and almost never comes off, whereas scocco has a great record for river and has had to do it with much fewer minutes

I hope he makes all us River fans eat our words Saturday, but I just don't like the idea of going to La Boca in the game of our lifetime and playing with a #9 who doesn't score or even create chances. I think Mora could even provide the fight we need in La Bombonera, and even though he's not playing well now, at least he always has a go at goal.

DaDroopDogg and locoxriver repped this.
  11. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, even switching to a 4-5-1 for the first leg would be preferable. Something like

Borre/Scocco;
    Pity Martinez--------Quintero;
    Palacios-E. Perez;
    Zuculini​

However, everything seems to indicate Pratto will be starting, so we can only hope for the best at this point.

12. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Heading into the first leg in la bombonera, I'm a bit concerned defensive-wise. Pinola and Maidana are quite slow and can be exposed by Benedetto, Zarate, Wanchope. Villa has also been lethal lately, and could be troublesome if Casco returns to his old self. Of course Ponzio missing also weakens us tremendously.

I think we have the tools to hurt Boca on the counter, but we have to be very careful in the back. There are plenty of loopholes to be exposed, and this Boca isn't the same one we took down in March and September: Villa came into the picture and completely transformed their attack, Wanchope has upped his game big time, and Benedetto surprisingly seems stronger and better than ever. Plus their confidence has been regenerated after eliminating Palmeiras.

I'm expecting them to go full out on their attack (at least according to Barros Schelotto they will be looking to make the difference in the first leg), so we could do definitely do some damage through Borre, Pity, Quintero, Scocco (the last two will probably be subs) if we take advantage of quick counters. However, it is imperative that we maintain order in the back. Absolutely no room for mistakes.

DaDroopDogg repped this.
  13. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  14. DaDroopDogg

DaDroopDogg Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Has someone tracked the goals/minutes statistic for River? Because I’d also be interested to see how effective Scocco has been with less playing time.

Hell, I think Mora has a better ratio this year than Pratto. Lol

locoxriver repped this.
  15. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In the Superliga in 18-19, Pratto has played 722 minutes and has not scored a goal yet.

Scocco has payed 245 minutes in the Superliga, and has scored two goals.

Mora has played 349 minutes and has scored 2 goals.

So obviously, the Superliga is a secondary competition for River at the moment and Mora and Scocco have barely played, but it doesn't change the fact that he has played more minutes than Mora and Scocco combined and he has yet to find the net. I don't even know how many shots he's managed.

Its frustrating because even though no one can question Gallardo at this point he is a legend, he does have certain players who he seems to have an unlimited amount of patience with, like Pratto, because he "does a job" or he "Fights the centrals" yet as I've said before, this is River, not Aldosivi, we need a number 9 who scores goals and pratto doesn't do that.

Just to put things in perspective, the last coach who had a "fetish" with Pratto both at Sao Paulo where he signed him from Mineiro and with the Argentina NT, was Edgardo Bauza... Yes, that Bauza... The only who likes to play with 6 defenders. That should tell you all you need to know.

So it may seem like I have it out for Pratto, I really do hope each weekend in the Superliga and each weekday in the Libertadores he shuts me and all the other river fans up, but he just doesn't. He doesn't do anything of note

16. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I partially agree with you... while I also think River should always have a goleador present (god, could we use Alario on Saturday), having a physical player to distract the defenders and hold the ball isn't necessarily a bad thing since it can open up space for faster players like Pity, Borre, Scocco, or even Quintero to take advantage of.

However, the problem is that Pratto is not even doing that. He has been so slow and clumsy that if anything the opposition hasn't even had to bother controlling him. He isn't "fighting the centrals", and if he is, he certainly isn't winning any of those battles.

I too am praying he "proves us wrong" vs. Boca, but it's just so hard to imagine given the performances he has been putting in.

megamac20817 repped this.
  17. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Speaking of Alario, it's insane to think we received roughly the same amount for his transfer as what we paid for Pratto's. Dear lord..

pepinointer and DaDroopDogg repped this.
  18. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ponzio confirmed out..
    Scocco in doubt..
    Now Pity left the training session sick. :thumbsdown:

Too many soldiers falling at the wrong time. Can't it happen to the other side instead?

DaDroopDogg, pepinointer and RiverGaucho repped this.
  19. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I keep remembering seeing Pratto running to center-mid to ask for the ball and then immediately losing it on the turn. Pratto doesn't even get the ball in positions where his physicality can mean anything.

I can kind of understand the appeal of having a player like Pratto playing next to Borré, but I can't help but wonder why it had to be such an expensive player who seems to play the position so poorly even for the role he's supposed to be in.

DaDroopDogg, pepinointer and locoxriver repped this.
  20. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    As of now, the information that is going around is that Enzo Perez is pretty much set to start in the middle, playing the same role he did when he replaced Ponzio vs. Gremio and Racing.

The question is whether Zuculini or Nacho Fernandez will be accompanying him. I'd personally go with Bruno, just to have a more combative midfield to challenge Wilmar, Perez, and Nandez. I don't know if Enzo could do it all alone (plus, he's on the verge of suspension for the return leg) and we all know you need that element of toughness in these games (shoutout to Funes Mori and Vangioni)

However, with Nacho you could assume that River would attempt to take on a more offensive role in the match, attempting to control Boca's attack by instead managing the tempo and controlling possession. Set the pace, rather than trying to counter it.

Then there's Quintero, but it's practically impossible for him and Pity to start together in a midfield that doesn't include a player like Ponzio.

Who would you guys go with?

DaDroopDogg and megamac20817 repped this.
  21. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  22. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Callate Teo.. mejor deja que hablen los bosteros, como es costumbre.

Anywayyy... looks like Scocco is in serious doubt for tomorrow, which is terrible news. If he doesn’t evolve soon from the injury, Julian Alvarez will take his spot on the bench, although it’s nearly impossible imagining the inexperienced pibe getting some game time in such a huge match in la bombonera.

DaDroopDogg repped this.
  23. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  24. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Vamos carajo! A seguir haciendo historia, millonario!

25. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I’ve been thinking about this game all week.. I can’t imagine what the players must be feeling. How the hell do you sleep the night prior to a match like this?

I’d be even more relaxed before a World Cup final tbh

megamac20817 and pepinointer repped this.