November 2018 Portugal and Scotland games

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Oct 26, 2018.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    From what little has been leaked about the new pact....no. There have been changes tho that may be the reason why we r seeing more college players. As to Colaprico...my opinion is absolutely not. While I can't give u the exact numbers in the new CBA there is a number of times a non contract player can be brought into camp before USSF is require to either offer a contract or stop calling them. I believe that used to be 6 weeks as a trialist. Based on what I saw when the new contract was done, I believe this area was a place where both sides made tradeoffs. I believe one of the concessions the union made to get more money was an increase in the trial period.

Long story short, this is likely the first or second time Colaprico has been called this year so she is no where near the requirement and it all resets with the new year anyway (I believe). The exception might have been if Colaprico had been rostered for WC qualifiers because there r special bonuses and rules for the four big events (WC,WCQ,Oly, Oly Q)

lil_one repped this.
  2. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Portugal simply isn't good enough to beat USA. What is worrisome is the fact they were able to get open and show holes along the USA backline. They do not possess the skill to move the ball from point A to point B but the fact point B was obvious so often is a concern. I have little confidence in our GK against top opponents.

3. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Plausible, but jittery and somewhat surprised at how physical Portugal was; she subbed in just as they were figuring out that the ref was going to let a lot of stuff go.

I don't think she's practiced at getting her own back, where, for example, Horan explained herself subtly but forcibly to several opponents who tried to intimidate her. Caliprico got really cleaned out a couple of times by assuming an opponent would make some effort to avoid her.

But then, I think this tour is more about finalizing alternates than roster members. Somebody would need to be really impressive to break in at this point, unless injury.

But of course there will be at least one injury...

At least that's my take.

I had Dunn as WOTM.

4. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Dunn was about the only one really trying. I have never been a big fan of Horan but she was terrible last night. Im betting that most of her passes went to Portugal. Rapinoe looked old and tired and Lloyd...OMG why? She'll be 37 next WC, Time to give her an Abby

People are saying how bad Portugal was but they have beaten Australia and that's no easy task. They're better than Canada at this point.

The team yesterday does not win the World Cup and Ellis better WTF up. We are not that good. You need do develop a killer instinct NOW. Can't turn it ON and OFF

FanOfFutbol repped this.
  5. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    IMO the two biggest hurdles left for the US r the delicate balance of the first 14 and the fact that Ellis is a lousy bench coach. It was pretty obvious that making a few changes to the starters completely unhinged the machine. If this wasn't an aberration then Ellis will find herself hoping for blow out games at WC or else she'll end up playing her starters huge minutes to keep things working and that might have it's own cost. Then there is tactics. Clearly Portugal wasn't what Ellis expected and she simply doesn't seem very good at making the in game adjustments to fix things. At one point she tried going to a 3-4-3 which helped the attack but allowed more chances for the Portugal attack. Maybe the move was to bring in Ertz as well to help cover the 3 back but she also wanted to give Colaprico a good look at the 6. She ended going back to a 4 back by adding Sonnett but trial and error is much harder when limited to 3 subs.

Again, just my opinion but instead of looking at more players I think Ellis should be getting key bench players more minutes so that when she needs to make subs the machine keeps running on all cylinders. Towards this end does anyone know what happened to Sam Mewis? She used to me a part of the team. Maybe they left her at an airport.

6. McSkillz

McSkillz Member

UCLA Bruins
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like how we look like we could win the WWC for a few weeks then look like we'd barely be getting out of the sweet 16 another week. Why were we so horrible against Portugal? Did the girls party a little too hard during their first Eurotrip or what?

7. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What makes you think the experiment with switching back and forth to the 3 back is not intentional? It certainly seems to be, as Ellis has done it repeatedly in friendlies (with mixed results). I think she's prepping for possible scenarios at the WWC.

The disjointed play was evidence of why we needed this Europe trip, imo. Playing away games and out of peoples' comfort zones is an important thing to learn to cope with and play through. Also Portugal is much better than what many were expecting.

taosjohn repped this.
  8. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Part of the problem is that we looked like world beaters against teams that could make a typical U16 girl's rec team look good.

Another part is a letdown after qualifying for the WWC. There seems little left to do until the WWC gets closer. Of course that is not really true as there is always more to do anyplace close to a World Cub. It is up the coaching staff to overcome the problem. If I were trying to make this team perform well (Admittedly I have not coached at this level) I would sit every single starter from the last game (Except Dunn and Pugh [Because she needs to play to recover mentally from her injury] and maybe one or two others.) in the next match and not even sub them in until very late no matter how the game went.

Still another part is the veterans on the team seemed uninterested in actually playing. (That is another reason for not playing them) That blasé attitude peculates through a team and impacts almost everyone. Few players can really put out top effort when the leaders are sleep walking, Dunn appears to be one of those few.

Of course most of the team are veterans and some letdown at this point is to be expected but the level of the letdown is surprising and somehow the message needs to be sent that sleepwalking through any match is unacceptable.

9. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Ever been to Portugal? Great place to party so you may be correct.

10. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I took another look at the Portugal/US game.

Portugal has good team speed and it quickly decided that the left side of the US offense (Dunn and Rapinoe) was where they should concentrate their defense. They pretty much ignored the right side (Fox and Pugh) as no threat.

Portugal eventually got burned on the US right when Dunn shifted over there and the US had the advantage in numbers on that side. Bingo. A goal.

Play of the game: Lavelle blocking a Portuguese shot at an empty goal as Naeher was off chasing cows or something.

No 2. play of the game: Dunn's cross to McDonald for the goal. McDonald deserves a long look at Center Forward. She may be the best sub available for Alex Morgan. (So long, Christen Press?)

Fox and Pugh just don't cut it on the right side. Maybe when O'Hara returns from injury and Heath from whatever she's doing, that situation will remedy itself.

The game could have been a tie -- or even a Portuguese win.

jackdoggy repped this.
  11. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    Just like I think some seemed overly gratified from the "level" of play during Concacaf against over matched opposition. It appears some are, if not hovering over the panic button, at least fiddling with the anxiety switch. If you're trying to read the runes about next summer from these matches now, history shows it's a fruitless exercise.

I do agree that most of the roster is largely in place. One thing that they did a good job of doing in both 2011 and 2015 was hitting their peak fitness level when it mattered. Whatever their issues at those World Cups (and each team certainly had some flaws) their fitness was not one of them. They seemed faster, had more spring in their acceleration, and endured well against attrition over the course of the tournament. When they weren't finishing, when they weren't making the final pass, or when mistakes piled up...their athleticism, stamina, and tenacity helped them survive and move on. This is early November 2018 with qualifying out of the way. Many players looked sluggish, lethargic, and just didn't have that bounce in their game. That's to be expected. But the US women have Dawn Scott. Whatever happens next summer we can feel confident that this team will not be wanting in those areas.

Don't for one second believe that I think fitness and athleticism alone will be sufficient to carry the team to another title. Far from it. But when you're not at peak fitness it amplifies all the flaws in the rest of your game. Making them appear worse than they are. Moreover yes these matches will not have the same urgency and focus; particularly from players who have largely secured their place on the roster and the field.

It makes no sense to be at peak fitness right now. And they're clearly not. In other sports, such as swimming, concepts like "the taper" are more well known to fans of the sport. Basically you rigorously train over long periods, incorporating a lot of intense anaerobic sessions. Your body endures stress and acclimates. The level of play can appear ponderous due to long term fatigue. Then when it comes time to peak the athlete will "taper" off the work level. Then the athlete's body reaps the benefits of both the rest and the fitness base they worked so hard to build.

Some are worried about developing bad habits. I'm more concerned about filling out the balance of the roster than style points nearly eight months out from reckoning time. 8 months? That's a long time in this sport. There's enough veterans on this team that building confidence should be less of an issue.

Of course there was the year of the 2007 World Cup when the team went unbeaten against arguably the toughest pre World Cup slate of matches in the team's history. I remember it well. Some fans acted like it was the parade before the inevitable coronation. We know how well that turned out. Yes if they play as they did against Portugal next summer that's a concern. But again it's less about "habits" and more about peaking, focus, fine tuning. It's a capricious sport. Habits, good or bad, can and do die easily. Form comes and goes quickly.

Up until recently the popular form team was Australia. The team that gave the US women all it could handle the last two years, including this summer. They just lost to Chile yesterday. And yes they fielded their top players. European Champions the Netherlands looked like an ascendant powerhouse with depth and youth at the Euros. They've since been undone by Norway in UEFA group qualifying this year. The same hapless Norway that looked moribund at Euros. Fortunately for the Dutch women it appears they're on their way to qualifying through the group runner up playoff. Regardless of recent malaise or poor form I certainly won't be writing off either of these teams with the talent they have. And I'm not going to diagnose any malignancies from the Portugal match either. As any concerns that I do have are generally ones that I've been observing over a longer period.

McSkillz repped this.
  12. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree completely. In fact, I'd say "It makes sense not to be at peak fitness right now."

I also think some of the players are exhausted, both physically and mentally, from the NWSL season. I think Horan is a great example. She worked her tail off in the game, but she had a bunch of sloppy passes. I don't think that's not caring about the game. It's being exhausted.

Ellis acknowledged about these games that some of the players needed recovery time post the NWSL season. Hopefully, she'll rest players like Horan in the next game, win or lose.

lil_one repped this.
  13. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ♪♪ You take the high road
    and I’ll take Lufthansa
    and I’ll be in Scotland beforrrrrrrre yee. ♪♪
    depositphotos_123780310-stock-illustration-flag-of-scotland-in-correct.jpg
    Quick trip, leaving tomorrow - G’Day Mate

One last experience of Utopia in 2018 before the dreaded, barren, lifeless period during the Holidays with no USWNT Matches. But I know a group of incredible, amazing, gifted, unbelievable, remarkable, fantastic, astonishing, awesome, talented women who will use that time to rest, recuperate and believe it or not, COME BACK STRONGER in 2019.

Fancyphone purchase – USWNT
    1st journey off the North American Continent – USWNT
    All things in life emanate from the United States Women’s National Team. So much so, I will be teaching a course at Stanford University starting in the Fall Semester of 2019 surrounding that very premise (email me for an advanced Syllabus………spoiler alert - lots of Match replays).

The Journey with these Women, even in Foreign Countries will always be..
    GLORIOUS

Gilmoy and McSkillz repped this.
  14. Stevie Blue

Stevie Blue New Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Aug 10, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone who watches international soccer knows that Portugal is known for One thing, defense. Ok maybe two with Ronaldo. Our women will need to deal with super defensive teams in order to win the World Cup again. All games aren’t going to be offensive master pieces.

On to Scotland. Should be fun.

15. Tracer

Tracer Member

Apr 22, 2016
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Now Horan has dropped out and returned home...

Midfielder Lindsey Horan, who played all 90 minutes in the U.S. 1-0 win vs. Portugal on Nov. 8 has returned stateside due to a personal commitment. The USA roster is now at 21 players ahead of Tuesday’s match in Glasgow and 18 players will suit up for the match (USSOCER PR release on Scotland match)

16. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    18 players is plenty. It includes the starting 11 and the 6 allowed subs and a spare goalkeeper just in case. Having more just allows for someone to be disappointed because of not playing in this meaningless friendly so we do not really need more people.

BTW: I would be interested in seeing Ertz playing attacking mid. Maybe this will force a little creative experimentation on the team. Nah, that would require that the leadership show some guts and curiosity.

17. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Ertz has arguably the worst soccer IQ and passing ability on the team. I'd put her at target FW before I'd have her as the playmaker. Attacking mid would be the worst use of her most valuable skill, which is breaking up plays. I'd rather see Colaprico or Mewis get time further up the field.

18. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Live and local from across the Pond in the home of the Single Malt Nectar of the Gods.
    Beachhead established 1.7 miles from St. Mirren FC (patron Saint of Helen Mirren).
    [​IMG]
    Just when you thought you would have a 3-day break from me....no, no, no my little soccer buddies. Already met some Yanks over here for the Match, I guess the MNT has/had a game v. Eng also?!?. Plus, Stevie and his roving Band of SoCal Crazies are around here somewhere.
    Great article in The Times - Scotland by Paul Forsyth mainly extolling our Greatness. Some excerpts:
    - For fans of women's football, this is as good as it gets, not just the best team in the world, but the strongest country and the most productive system, a superpower that has ploughed so much money and effort into the sport that the national team has become a cultural phenomenon.
    - ...and see if the quality and personality of those in stars and stripes is dazzling enough to prompt a change of heart. In America at least, these are household names.
    - Where once it was Mia, Hope and Brandi, now it is Megan, Carli and Alex, whose success, celebrity and, yes wealth, are the product of a country that has taken the game seriously of the best part of four decades and capitalized fully on the failure of others to be likewise.

8 hours and 37 minutes to Nirvana.

Dundalk24, lil_one and McSkillz repped this.
  19. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    I don't buy it. Horan played the worse game I've seen her in and Im not sure it was tired. If she can't handle it now, how will she survive the WC? She hasn't played in a week now. Lets see how she and the others play against an easy team today. Will they show up today or go thru the motions again?

20. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Not so sure about this one? Maybe Ellis was not going to dress her???

21. McSkillz

McSkillz Member

UCLA Bruins
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #96 McSkillz, Nov 13, 2018 at 9:35 AM
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018 at 9:43 AM
    I agree. Something fishy when player says “personal commitments”. I’m willing to bet Ellis chewed her out for her incredibly uninspired craptastic performance and was told she was getting benched as punishment. She decided to act like a baby and go back to the States. Not sure if she is going to cut the WC tournament in France if she’s going to act like an entitled brat. That’s when college experience probably could have helped her. You learn a lot of discipline in college and learn to play in not so great circumstances. You may have slower development than instantly entering pro soccer but our college system breeds character and you come out a warrior in the end, capable of taking on anything. Our best US women’s soccer players still have come from our college system. Horan and Pugh need to prove that their approach works too. So far they both aren’t cutting it.

22. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The U.S. midfielders had better play well. They've got Sam Mewis on the bench, and she may be better than any of the starters (Horan, Lavelle, Ertz).

23. Tracer

Tracer Member

Apr 22, 2016
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The starting line-up will be interesting. I am also interested in seeing the minutes Mewis plays.

24. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    You do realize you are making stuff up out of whole cloth, and around here it is apt to become revealed wisdom for many in the peanut gallery in no time at all?

For all you actually know her favorite grandmother got hit by a truck or something...

25. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This ranks as one of the most ridiculous posts I've read on BS, and that's saying something.

crazyhorse repped this.