News: "I want to do it differently" - OTT[R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Another time, another place
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tottenham have confirmed that Dembele will be out until the end of the year (2018). They should be able to cope, I guess but it's still a blow for them nonetheless.
    Should open the door to opportunities for Winks.

2. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Long Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drogba playing in what could be his final professional match on ESPN. USL Final with Phoenix v Louisville

3. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Long Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This Portland v Seattle playoff match has been nuts. 4-4 on agg at the moment. Goal to tie things up in the last minute of injury time, then a quick goal for each side in the first half of extra time.

4. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

5. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    johno and J'can repped this.
  6. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lol

7. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  8. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Rumors that City are about to hand Sterling a 5 yr deal for 300k per week. That's insanity. He's not even one of the top players in that squad and they're going to pay him Ronaldo money.

9. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    We have Sanchez on 350/week. I'd take sterling over him for the past year.

10. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Long Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would argue that he is becoming one of the top players in their squad. In the second tier below Aguero, Silva, and KDB. Still a ridiculous sum of money though.

11. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    With the way money in the sports is going, this isnt bad at all.

He'd probably start on every team in league. English tax.

Imo Sterling is one of the top players in that squad. 2nd top scorer.

This is a no brainer. He'd walk for free or get sold on the cheap. To let him go when he's actually proving his worth and developing?

12. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agreed. But some of that was because we got him basically on a free transfer. The only reason we got him over City is because we bumped his wages.

I would not. Sterling is technically really poor. He's a guy that relies 100% on pace and I will never buy into players like that. As soon as his pace starts to fall over in the back part of his career, his form is going to plummet. But he's negotiating a new contract at the right time. His finishing as been above his normal level for the past year so City can be fooled into thinking he's improving there but I dont buy it.

When it comes to their current squad, I rank him behind KDB, Aguero, Silva pretty easily and I would rather have Sane, Bernardo Silva, or Gabriel Jesus as well.

I actually dont think he would walk for cheap. I think he knows he wont find a setup better for him and only a handful of clubs would entertain giving him more than City were probably offering before they agreed on this 300k per week deal.

You think he would start in every team in the league? I think hes a product of that system and being surrounded by better players. Im not saying he's bad but hes not better than any of the 3 up front for Pool. As I stated above, I dont think he's top 5 in that team. But I'll be the first to say I don't like players that use physical ability to mask lack of technical ability.

13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's done. Sterling has signed a new contract with City.

www.bbc.com/sport/football/46157225

A good deal for both parties under the circumstances: Sterling was in the last year of his contract (and could have gone for cheap in January or nothing in the summer). And given his form since last season, he had lots of leverage.
    Not to mention that it's very likely that in a couple of years time, that contract could be dwarfed with wages only going up, especially for top teams and players. A 3yr contract is a good length for him as well from City's perspective.

14. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Speaking of outrageous contracts, what kind of crazy person turns down a 300MM/10yr no opt out contract to play sportsball of any kind?

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harper believes he'll get more elsewhere: in baseball especially, it's really not that inconceivable either, as crazy as it appears. And he's a star to boot: big market teams will surely pay more for him.

Edit: Just noticed that Scott Boras is his agent, he'll get more. This guy is Raiola for all intents and purposes.

16. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
  17. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Long Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not. Soccer. Does. Not. Compute.

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #993 Ashur, Nov 9, 2018 at 6:28 PM
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 6:48 PM
    it's pretty straightforward in my opinion: he's a free agent, 26yrs old and a superstar in the game. Why would he sign a new contract with the Nats when all the other teams (including the most wealthiest ones obviously) can go after him?
    If he gets just 2 teams to bid for him, he'll easily get over the $30mil/yr mark. And at his age, teams will have no qualms handing him a 10year contract. The risk he'll end up with less than what he turned down is minimal actually.
    And in Boras, he's got one of the notoriously toughest agents in sports (one who negotiated a record contract for A-Rod). It's no surprise he passed on the Nats' offer, especially if he's looking to move on.

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another day, another accusation levied against City...

www.bbc.com/sport/football/46159075

They're not having the best of weeks: would be nice if we could cap things off nicely Sunday.

Anonymous_United and jnielsen repped this.
  20. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Vichai's son and the entire LC team doing a lap of honor as tribute post game. Pretty touching sight to see.

Side note, did anyone see the ********ing idiot that grabbed Vichai's son and had him take a selfie with him? Vichai's son is in tears and paying tribute to the club and his father and some ********ing moron who is completely removed from reality has him take a selfie.

21. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Long Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very touching tribute. Did not see the selfie, but what a ********ing putz. Disrespectful.

This Dortmund v Bayern match should be good. The changes with Alacer and Delaney are strange. Gotze to play as a false 9 it looks like, may interchange with Reus.

22. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Long Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a really nice second goal from Dortmund. Gnabry with a cheeky flick, Kimmich with a lob across the goal, Lewa heads it in.

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #998 Ashur, Nov 10, 2018 at 1:50 PM
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 1:56 PM
    Been a very good game so far. Reus should have made it 2-2 just now. Alcacer is coming on: it's about time.
    Credit to Bayern for answering the call today also. Dortmund need to do better to capitalize on Bayern's mistakes at the back.

24. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Someone like Salah would be perfect on the other side of Martial, shame Moura never developed goal scoring part of his game.

25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Textbook counter by Dortmund and Alcacer puts them in the lead. Superb release pass from Witsel.
    Favre made some excellent adjustments at ht to turn things around.