How to Rebuild Conmebol

Discussion in 'CONMEBOL' started by flaviense, Jul 7, 2018.

1. flaviense

flaviense Red Card

GD Chaves
    Portugal
    Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Hello Guys,

unfortunately, Conmebol teams have failed yet again at the FIFA world cup.
    this will be the fourth consecutive world cup with an european winner.

I am saddened, as I much enjoy World Cup/international games involving Conmebol teams.

What ideas do you have for improving the performance of Conmebol in World Cup play?
    will 2022 again go to UEFA? or will it return to Conmebol...

thoughts?

2. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    The struggles in Argentinian football are cultural. The players, the executives, the journalists and the fans can't stand defeat. Even the previous finals appearances were seen as a defeat.

3. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think we play way too many WCQ games!! Even though it's fair and mainly for the TV money, 18 games is way too much!! I think we should make the Copa America as the WCQ's as well!! The 4 teams that make it to the semifinals qualify for the WC and the best 'loser' of the quarterfinals go to the playoffs vs the best 'loser' of the CONCACAF Gold Cup!!

4. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    18 games is a lot and more so when you consider the club calendar and the fact that many of the players play outside of their country. But using your logic if you look at the last 2 Copas - Copa Centerario 2016 and Copa America 2015, would have meant the following scenarios:
    2015 - top 4 - Chile, Argentina, Paraguay and Peru, 2016 - top 4 - Chile, Argentina, Colombia , Peru Note: No Uruguay no Brazil. How would this help Conmebol exactly?

Further, this is a 10 member confederation. So you would have to go to a similar format, pre 1993, where you had 2 split groups of 5, out of which the top 2 from each group, moved on to final stage of 4. Basically, you would be asking 6 conmebol nations to forfeit their ticket to the world cup after only having played 4 games. I dont think this is the best solution nor would it be a way to 'rebuild' Conmebol as you're assuming that the last 4 of a Copa America tournament are your best 4 that should represent in a world cup a few years later. More than likely I do see Conmebol following the tail of Uefa and coming up with a nations cup of some sorts, possibly with some type of merge or interplay with Concacaf.

msioux75 repped this.
  5. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    I'm a huge fan of the current format. 18 matches over 24 months is perfectly reasonable.

6. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    it's not just this 18 game schedule that they have to adjust for over 2 years. Let's take game day/FIFA week. Usually players have about a 10-12 day window to fly from some other country, meet with their team, adjust to a new time zone, practice then play your 1st match IF AT Home (otherwise back on a plane you go) only to play 4 days later sometimes after traveling over 3,000 miles.

Add to it the extremes: climate, altitude and obviously the importance of stamping your ticket to the WC. But for the professional player who still has to show up for club and compete with his Euro counterpart (who hasnt had the need for these adjustments) but who's calendar continues to be plugged with a ton of commitments (league, league cups/tournaments, international club competitions, intl club and NT friendlies, Copa Americas, Confederations Cup, etc), than that calendar becomes difficult and eventually something has to give.

As a NT supporter, of course, nothing is better than our qualifiers but all I'm saying is that it's a taxing format that needs to be updated in some way as ultimately you still want to see the best out on the field with proper circumstances.

7. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    FIFA had been discussing to combine the September, October and November windows into two windows with three matches each. Having four windows would be perfect.

8. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    exactly...sadly this will probably be the last time we have the 18 match system

with the wc expansion (ridiculous decision) starting in 2026...there is no point playing 18 games to have 7 teams qualify