Crew to Austin in 2019..(Maybe)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew SC' started by Placid Casual, Oct 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feraligatr19

Feraligatr19 Member

United States
    Dec 6, 2017
    I realize I sort of started the "When STC peeps say 'big news' on Twitter, it has lost its meaning/power" today. While that point about that particular phrase stands, I do just want to make sure I say this: where would we be today without STC??? Imagine if this movement had never begun. Imagine if there wasn't a group of Crew fans working their asses off to do the things that the FO should be doing. We'd be way more f*cked than we currently are in my opinion. So I personally give them a lot of slack. Keep on fighting the good fight STC, and don't worry about a handful of people being cynical on the internet.

Draghignazzo, russ, DAFCrew and 10 others repped this.
  2. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    Part of the thinking is to capture the interest of those that aren't going to games because they do not want to give Precourt anymore cash.

TKyle repped this.
  3. Brett Baker

Brett Baker Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    No, but they aren’t a model for expansion teams. They’re a model for how MLS 1.0 teams can be successful. He, of course, wants to pick and choose new cities for those MLS 1.0 teams so KC is a model for “expansion”

Draghignazzo and don gagliardi repped this.
  4. YeahMorgan

YeahMorgan Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tune in to find out.

Tobias C, DAFCrew, TKyle and 6 others repped this.
  5. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The STC sign up explicitly states “if The Crew is acquired by local ownership”. This is completely different than the current season ticket situation. Many people are avoiding tickets because of the current ownership/management.

russ, DAFCrew and YeahMorgan repped this.
  6. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're not the person I talked to on Twitter, then there are at least TWO people now that have been discussing 2019 STM's with Crew staff.

7. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Beacon, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

8. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last season, before the move was announced, the team pushed signing up for automatic renewal of season tickets. Are the parties being contacted now season ticket holders who signed up then, or others as well? Have they set 2019 prices? Did the season ticket rep who contacted you make any assurance the team would play in 2019 in MAPFRE?

9. YeahMorgan

YeahMorgan Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for saying this.

As the person most closely associated with the "BIG DAY TODAY" meme, I know that when people talk about STC not having credibility because of that, they're probably talking specifically about me.

It hurts, but it's probably fair. I've said "big day today" or whatever a few times when the news didn't break for another day or two, and believe me when I say that when that happens, I feel like a giant bag of sh1t about it.

I want people to feel the excitement and the optimism that I feel, and sometimes I try to communicate that while also trying to respect my sources and their process. I'm not a professional at this, and I screw up a lot. For that, I'm sorry.

I think this 2019 project is going to great, and I think as it moves forward, everyone will agree. There will be some visibility with this one, to say the least. People are going to know about it. I'm proud of my friends for putting this together, and I'm thankful for the members of this community who will support it.

There's never been a better day to be a fan of the Columbus Crew than today. Big if true.

10. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Beacon, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I get that. I just think that the longer this has gone on, the more dirt has been pulled up on MLS. I think it’s done significant damage to the willingness of Columbus to support a team in MLS no matter who the owner.

I’m speaking for myself here: It’s not like there was ever an era of innocence with MLS, but the curtain has been pulled back in such a way that it doesn’t feel good to be supporting the league anymore. I doubt I’m alone in this.

Look there probably is no harm in doing this. And if we get good numbers, I think that’s a feather in the cap of STC especially when we can’t get 10k to buy single game tickets. But in the long run, with no money attached to it, it’s about as meaningful as one of the thousands of change.org petitions that amount to nothing.

11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Beacon, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    To be fair the “big day today” meme is better than the *Sanch meme. He just sucks.

ohiotiger and YeahMorgan repped this.
  12. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes it's better not knowing how the sausage gets made. Just enjoy the sausage.

We as Columbus fans knew how dirty MLS can be going back 15 years or so. People have to make a choice. Watch the slaughter, or eat the sausage. I choose sausage. And bacon.

Draghignazzo and TKyle repped this.
  13. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member

Bradford City Association Football Club
    May 11, 1999
    Land of the Lizard People, or so I'm told
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    In all honesty, being me is freakin' awesome.

14. hungariansteven

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I mean, just because I'm not always as optimistic as you, or if others want big news NOW- doesn't mean that we don't appreciate what you are doing. There are a lot of us out there that may complain that this ticket drive isn't "BIG", (like I did earlier, lol), but I'm also not leading an initiative like this either, so this is huge compared to what I've done so far. So I do appreciate it, because we need a voice out there, and that is what you are trying to do. Keep it up. I think most of us here all signed up as soon as we saw it!

15. bleedyellowandblack

May 2, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yep. I wasn't the person you spoke with. My ticket rep actually cold called me about auto renewal. Apparently there's going to be a 45 day window in which sth have the opportunity to cancel,add more seats, change location etc. If you don't do anything then you are auto renewed at the lowest price. Apparently more details are coming out to everyone soon. She also said that if something changed( aka move) that there would be a refund but they were moving ahead as if there wasn't a change. Of course, I could be mistaken on a detail here or there but that was my take on the conversation.

crewfan_in_columbus repped this.
  16. Groundd

Groundd Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    So with the verbiage specifically calling out a new owner/investor what are the chances MLS said, sure you can keep the team if you get X season ticket holders? Or the owner/investor is only willing to buy in if we have X season ticket holders?

I truly appreciate everything people in STC are doing as it has been of monumental portions. I just tend to be more pessimistic than I should lol.

17. runningoz

runningoz Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Are prices going up this year as well? I haven't heard from my rep yet.

18. bleedyellowandblack

May 2, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I've been a season ticket holder for 7 years. I didn't auto renew last year as I didn't like what I thought was pressure tactics. I actually decided to renew after the announcement was made so I'm not sure what process is being used to contact sth's.

19. bleedyellowandblack

May 2, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Not sure. She said all of the info would be coming out upcoming. It seemed like more of a" heads up" kind of conversation.

20. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The optimistic/cynical interpretation is that Tony wants to put some of the 2019 ticket money into his pocket just before he sells.

Any way you look at it, that is a lot of trouble to go to if you have no intention of hanging around for 2019.

bleedyellowandblack repped this.
  21. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Last time I was in Columbus, I met folks who felt the same way. I wonder how much damage this has done even if the Crew stays with local ownership.

hungariansteven repped this.
  22. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    This is why you need to drink more. If you miss a detail, blame the bourbon.

23. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That could certainly happen. It depends on how aggressively the #STC folks can get out the word, since social media will only take them so far.

That said, and being that we're competing with Austin over the team's future, one of the glaring weaknesses (and there are a lot of them) of the Austin effort has been the conspicuous lack of any sort of season ticket drive. Near as I can tell, the only thing PSV points to when they claim lots of support in Austin are the results of a 3,500 person survey.

How many people end up signing this pledge form, I don't know. But at least right know, it stands to be an infinite percentage greater than what any season ticket pledge out of Austin will generate.

Draghignazzo and Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  24. hungariansteven

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I believe this would just add to the "no one likes us and we don't care" / "Massive" moniker. Even before this mess, I always thought that the league wasn't a big fan of Columbus, from "the Columbus Screw", to the league promoting other teams, etc. I think that was what made winning the cup in 08 vs a "new york" team feel that much better.

Draghignazzo, TKyle, Adrian and 2 others repped this.
  25. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    As far as the league promoting other teams, how often have the Crew been on national TV the last five years? I'm sure there's a list out there but I don't know where to find it.

Ch(Elsey) and hungariansteven repped this.