2018 World Cup - Mexico Preliminary Roster

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by Hugo Sanchez, May 14, 2018.

1. Genos

Genos Member

Jun 26, 2017
    why is everyone acting like Vela scoring a goal vs the US is the only worthwhile ? thing he's done in a while yet fail to bring up why he shouldn't be a starter for Mexico. Mexico isn't a stacked team and Vela is the best at his position. But even then, Vela's bread and butter isn't him scoring goals every game, his passing and football IQ is ahead of anyone in the roster as of now. People forget how well he links up with Hernandez, Lozano, Corona and Jimenez and creates chances for them. Most wingers hold on to the ball for too long or simply can't pass.

Mr Pancho, #Vela, thedragonrik58 and 5 others repped this.
  2. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Yeah but it's also literally the same thing.

It's the ultimate rewriting of history to say now that Jona had a bad confederations cup. It was the consensus that he was among the best players in that tournament, and the best player in the opener against Portugal. Herrera having the best season in Europe (along with Lozano) this year doesn't change that. Both of them did well and had a much better tournament than Guardado.

Because Vela went to MLS and they are whining about that. It went from crucifying Osorio from benching him against Germany, to "they sucked in the Confederations cup and are trash unlike Pizarro, who is everybody else's fault but him for doing nothing when given the chance".

3. Baysic

Baysic Member+

Jun 11, 2009
    The Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    I sometimes hate how guardado plays. I think the veteran status of being around for so long shields him from people noticing how one dimensional his game is.

Aside from the fact that he has definitely dipped in speed, he has a tendency to completely kill our counter attacks because he generally only looks to his right side since he's an ultra lefty. Can't count how many times he dribbles wide left, and can't make a left foot pass, so he gets stuck, turns around, and kicks the ball back to the defenders.

When he gets into his two little spots where he can execute his cross into the box or his outside the box shot, he does his thing, but when you eliminate those he's invisible.

Sleepy Spaceman repped this.
  4. Miguel Myers

Miguel Myers Member+

Dec 3, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Gio is over-hated and Guardado is one dimensional

Muy bien

Chido

5. Sleepy Spaceman

Sleepy Spaceman Member+

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    #330 Sleepy Spaceman, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Even if Vela and Gio weren't called, who can you honestly say deserves to start alongside Lozano and Jimenez uptop?

Tecatito has been shit all season long both for club and country. I can't recall the last good game he had under Osorio. If we're being honest with ourselves, that guy is all style over substance compared to Vela.

Pizarro/Fabian don't play wide.

Aquino/Damm? lol

We're screwed.

LGRod and NCCFBALL repped this.
  6. iveman27

iveman27 Member+

Feb 7, 2013
    Club:
    Club América
    wait colima these guys are correct. Lets call up conejo and cuauh up so they can set records. who cares about the world cup. Records never die:cool:

erdons, Colima24 and LGRod repped this.
  7. hausen

hausen Member+

Jun 18, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It's so sad to think that this squad was supposed to be promising AF, but due to certain factors now it seems extremely shitty.

Vela, Gio, JDS in MLS.
    Chicharito's bad form, current sub for pinche West Ham United.
    Jimenez in decent form, (mostly) SUB for Benfica.
    Hector Moreno's bad stint at Roma, finally kinda picking it up again at Sociedad.
    Tecatito's horrible form.
    Diego Reyes not even playing.
    Araujo injured.
    oh yeah, not to mention we have a batshit crazy manager.

Only good is Herrera's form, Layun and Guardado seem to have established.

I have very bad feelings about this WC... May the gods be in our favor. I really hope we make it out of the group stage. If we don't, I won't be surprised and TBH it's only our own fault.

DankYummy repped this.
  8. Skadrist

Skadrist Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    El Norte
    I agree with the Dos Santos bros, with Vela not so much the guy was solid in the Hex and this past Confederations Cup even though he was seeing less time at Real Sociedad.

Chicharito was coming off a a pretty bad season in 2013-14 but still bagged a goal and came up big in the Croatia game.

Tecatito has had a terrible season but maybe he will play this tournament with a fire under his ass.

I worry about the defense too but defensive errors are something that has plagued Mexico throughout their World Cup history.

If anything gives me hope for them to get out of the group stage is the way they played in the 2017 Confederations Cup, especially in the do or die match against Russia.

9. Centauro del Norte

FC Juárez
    Sep 15, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Osorio has played Cheech out-wide... I'm guessing Osorio will place Cheech on the wing, and Rulas as the main man upfront...

DankYummy repped this.
  10. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    Jonathan Gonzales showed flashes and should have been taken so that he could be prepped for the big show. I think he could have been thrown in their late to plug up the midfield and distribute against tired legs...I'm cool with Raul starting over Chicharito...who knows what kind of form he's in right now.

11. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX

Jan 15, 2001
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It has been written.

Lettuce pray.

12. Centauro del Norte

FC Juárez
    Sep 15, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    He could have been our 2006 Guardado... Agreed. It would have been a good opportunity to integrate him. The younger the better... Now he'll have to wait 4 years...

LGRod, DankYummy and Sanchito repped this.
  13. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    It’s a consequence of the short term tenure of the national team coaches which is an extension of the liga Mx carousel. Go for immediate results, as mediocre as they might be, and let someone else worry about the future.

LGRod, DankYummy and Centauro del Norte repped this.
  14. JJV1994

JJV1994 Member+

Jun 16, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Nah we will be eliminated in the Rd of 16 per usual .

That's our level...Nothing wrong about it when you look at the talent disparity.

15. #Vela

#Vela Member+

Vela and Lozano are must starts in every single WC game. If Osorio goes in a different direction, he's fcking shit up and needs to go.

LGRod, JJV1994, Neymadres and 1 other person repped this.
  16. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You need this man

Hecho en Chivas, LGRod and Richy_Rich repped this.
  17. SoDamnSmooth

SoDamnSmooth Member+

Oct 17, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Amen brother

18. JJV1994

JJV1994 Member+

Jun 16, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It's the bitch ass clubs fault, they are not developing new talented players fast enough.

Its sad but there's promise as Mexico is not even close to reaching it's potential.

LGRod and DankYummy repped this.
  19. NCCFBALL

NCCFBALL Member+

Apr 19, 2007
    INDIANA
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I wish out league was like Erevidisie.....lots of young talent playing in that league that is sold off to other leagues. They develop talent then sell it.

LGRod and DankYummy repped this.
  20. Saldgotti1991

Saldgotti1991 Member+

Jun 7, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Next cycle we will have Naturalizados, confirmed...

Philip J. Fry and thedragonrik58 repped this.
  21. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    This if it happens wouldn't be new or necessarily bad.

22. OneJillion$$$

OneJillion$$$ Member+

Jun 19, 2015
    I hope to God GDS scores the game winning goal against Brazil in the 16th round and that a ray of light shines down on his ass, levitating him ever closer to the sky, with a fiery divine glow bestowed upon him by the grace of God. He closes his eyes, lowers his head and whispers "Redemption". And with a blink of an eye he disappears, leaving behind sparkly debris and a smug faced JCO. Who then opens his eyes in horror because he needs to call someone from the 32 man list and realizes there's no Pizarro.

In all seriousness though, I hope Gio scores the game winning goal para que me calle la boca.

23. NCCFBALL

NCCFBALL Member+

Apr 19, 2007
    INDIANA
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Vela goal today should show he still has it to all those haters out there

Mr Pancho, Zacarías, JJV1994 and 2 others repped this.
  24. Saldgotti1991

Saldgotti1991 Member+

Jun 7, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    MLS defending... he won't have that much time nor space.

25. nicamex1935

nicamex1935 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    #350 nicamex1935, May 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 20, 2018
    We’re going to learn so much this World Cup about this country’s futbol. We’ve always indulged the managerial dramatics. How much of the responsibility do the footballers bear for this one?

LGRod repped this.