News: 2018 Other Teams Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by msilverstein47, Nov 29, 2017.

1. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll have to look for english-language coverage. I've watched a little here and there but no names on the jerseys make it hard to know who's who - plus they're doing so well I can only watch for a short time before my wife asks me if I really want to keep watching this blowout instead of something she'd rather watch :D

Winoman repped this.
  2. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
  3. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Rockville
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    I am happy Seattle is out, but: do I understand correctly that the away goal rule counts during the 90 minutes only, but not at the extra time? Please tell me I am wrong, and that the away goal rule has been completely removed, it would be a lot easier to accept for my already fragile mental status.

4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Away goals always count.

Extra time is basically a new game with normal goal rules.

tallguy repped this.
  5. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't even notice there was an MLS game last night. Kinda glad as it sounds like it lasted forever.

I did accidentally find the USL championship game after watching my taped USWNT game. Was reminded why most of these guys do not play in MLS, play was sporadic at best. The passing was much more crisp in the lackluster/sloppy women's friendly than this championship game :)

I had no idea who either team really was, hadn't heard much about either one - if you're not Richmond or Charleston (or Loudoun starting next year) I don't pay much attention to you - I did think Phoenix Rising was a cool name (I don't think the Louisville team had a name).
    And who knew Didier Drogba was still playing soccer or would one day end up playing in USL. He was the only player mentioned that I was remotely familiar with; usually in USL games I hear former MLS player names I once knew :)

Winoman repped this.
  6. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Last night apparently was Drogba's last professional game. IIRC, he is an investor in the Phoenix team.

Winoman repped this.
  7. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    I know we eventually traded him away for ??? But who ended their career better, Boswell or Drogba?

tallguy repped this.
  8. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Far as I know Drogba never won an Armadillo in his waning career years, so easily Bozzy Bobwell :)

9. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    US-U20 already scored on free kick vs Surinam. Even if Surinam manages to win the game and tie USA on points, we hold 17 better GD to go thru to next round.

Winoman repped this.
  10. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Rockville
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    LOUISVILLE CITY FC. Very original.

11. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Rockville
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    I am confused. Timbers won 2-1 the first game, yesterday at the end of the 90' they were down 2-1, went to extra time in which they lost 3-2. If away goals count, why did they go to penalties?

12. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Because there is only one "game". The totals are the aggregate goals over the two legs, plus extra time. What made the end of that game particularly confusing is that the "away goals" tiebreaker doesn't apply to the extra time. So, on aggregate after 180 minutes, the score was 3-3, with each team scoring an away goal (2-1 to the home team in each leg). Then in extra time, the score was tied 1-1, but Portland's "away goal" in that case didn't function as a tiebreaker. Therefore, the penalty shootout. (Note: the MLS website shows the result as Seattle 3, Portland 2 with penalty kick results which makes this even more confusing. The line is "correct" in that Seattle scored 3 goals in the 120 minutes played in Seattle, but that number standing alone is irrelevant to the final result. The actual aggregate was 4-4 over 210 minutes with away goals tied (for the time period that they are used as tiebreakers.) Simple, right?

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  13. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Rockville
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Very stupid. Either you apply the away goal rule all the way through or you do not apply it, like in most central/south American countries. To apply it half @SS doesn't make any sense.

14. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    The "sense" of the rule, I think, is that for 180 minutes we will use the tiebreaker of away goals to incentivize the road team to come out of a shell and try to score and, essentially, be rewarded "double" if it scores. The logic then would continue along the lines of we'll use this for 180 minutes, but, if everything remains tied after 180 minutes, then the team that scores the most goals in the 30 minute extra time wins regardless of being home or away. Now, personally, I think the away goals rule for tiebreakers makes no sense. The "winner" should be the team that scores the most goals over the two legs. Simple.

song219, Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  15. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    [QUOTE="griffin1108, post: 37264678, member: 35830 ... the team that scores the most goals in the 30 minute extra time wins regardless of being home or away. Now, personally, I think the away goals rule for tiebreakers makes no sense. The "winner" should be the team that scores the most goals over the two legs. Simple.[/QUOTE]

The winner IS the team that scores the most over the two legs. Thats two 90 minute games. If the series is tied it goes to a TIE BREAKER. If both teams scored also scored same number of Away Goals, then they play an extra mini- game. Then PKs.

If the Away Goal Tie Breaker applied to the mini game then the Away Team would have a huge advantage of 30 more minutes to score an Away Goal that the Home team would never have.

DecadeOfDCU26, sitruc, Adler and 2 others repped this.
  16. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo.

sitruc repped this.
  17. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    The winner IS the team that scores the most over the two legs. Thats two 90 minute games. If the series is tied it goes to a TIE BREAKER. If both teams scored also scored same number of Away Goals, then they play an extra mini- game. Then PKs.
    QUOTE]
    Except in the case of the lower seed that gets at 1-0 result at home, then "loses" 2-1 on the road. They advance due to the away goals tiebreaker even though the score on aggregate was 2-2. In that case, the team that score more goals over 180 minutes does not advance.

18. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    The entire discussion above is supporting evidence that the away goal rule is ridiculous. There's a problem if relatively knowledgable fans have trouble understanding how teams advance in the playoffs. As a fan it's an absolute deterrent to me tuning in to playoff games that don't involve DCU because 1) I don't want to have to catch up on the away goal status when picking up on a playoff game midway in, and 2) I don't want to hear commentary based on the relative importance of one team's goals versus another's. It's a fundamental rule of sport that the rules apply the same no matter where games are played. But in MLS playoff games goals count for more or less depending on location. And for the general sports fan we hope to win over to soccer, it's simply beyond the pale. I've tried to explain the two game aggregate goal format to non-soccer fans and they literraly laugh and say things like "What kind of BS is that?" Imagine if I added the away goal rule.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  19. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Its not two games. Its one big game. The first half you play in one stadium. The second half is in the other stadium.

song219 and sitruc repped this.
  20. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Glad you picked up on that.. Although that explanation is too simple in that which goals get scored by which teams in which stadium can be an important factor in who wins. And, as was noted, the team leading after the first 90 minutes of this 180 minute game nearly always wins, which is kind of a problem because the lower seeded team gets to play first. Today's RBNY win was a welcome exception. I could live live with the two game aggregate goal system if they got rid of the away goal rule, instituted the golden goal rule in overtime, and gave the higher seeded team the choice of playing first or second.

21. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    MLS and there stupid basterdization of the eeal away goals rule.

In every other league or tourney, aways goals in extra time would count. But not in MLS.

22. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    What was unusual about the playoffs this year was all the upsets. In the Play-In games, 3 of the lower seeded teams won. The Crew won the first game vs NYRB, but then lost big in NJ. Atlanta pummeled NYCFC consistently. Similar story out west.

What the Away Goal Tie-Breaker Rule does is reward the teams that are aggressive on the road and go for scores and try to win. If you sit back and settle for a one-goal loss, then you might get burned in your own house the next game. Now if the Away team does win the first game and if by 2 or more, then the series is pretty much over and anti-climactic.

Anything that gets in the way of PKs deciding elimination rounds is a good thing.

tallguy, Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  23. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    UConn or Washington?

asitis

25. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have colored it blue if I liked UConn :)

I was born a UofWashington fan, even though they usually just disappoint me.

Winoman and asitis repped this.