2018-2019 UEFA Season Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, May 29, 2018.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably not as tightly, though it depends on the country.

Remember that many of the AARs also work European matches as referees. So if a referee gets a UCL match on Tuesday but his trusty AAR gets appointed to a UEL game on Thursday, he needs a different AAR. Also, when new/younger CRs from big countries get bigger matches, they sometimes get more senior AARs... that happened initially as Taylor and Oliver progressed. And Skomina has served as an AAR once or twice for Jug.

All that said, apparently there is a video clip where the AAR is pointing to the spot with his wand in Manchester. So we may be blaming this AAR for the wrong reason... rather than fail to correct Kassai, he might have been the one who prompted the wrong decision, which is why I framed my post above the way I did.

2. Ickshter

Ickshter Member

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw that clip live, and the AAR does point to the spot, but from what I saw it was after Kassai was already pointing there, and to be honest the point by the AAR was not very convincing to me. I don't know what transpired over the headsets, but you are right that he did point, to me it didn't look like he was the one insisting though. More like confirming.

3. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, an AAR isn't supposed to point before his CR at all, other than in the case of a goal, so the fact that he didn't point beforehand can't be used as evidence that he did not make the call.

Whether he was confirming the call or visually showing that he was the originator of the call... that would be impossible to say for sure even if I did see it!

Ickshter and IASocFan repped this.
  4. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kovacs was busy in his debut and had what I think is the first SFP red for a tackle we've seen in a little while in the UCL:

https://streamable.com/2ksi4

IASocFan repped this.
  5. Ickshter

Ickshter Member

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ouch! It's a fair cop. Like the AR with the quick flag up and down. "Yup, you got it... Good, I'll just put the flag back down, nothing to see over here...."

Geko repped this.
  6. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    Wow that was a high tackle.

7. Geko

Geko Member

Sacremento Geckos
    United States
    May 25, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't notice that initially and now my coworkers think I'm crazy for laughing when everyone's quiet.